General Mobile brand has launched General Mobile GM 8 (GM8_sprout) handset in March 2018. It came with Android 8.0 Oreo with decent hardware specifications at that time. Are you a General Mobile GM 8 user and thinking to use the Android 10 version on it? Then check out the full guide below. Here we have put up the AOSP Android 10 for General Mobile GM 8 [GSI Treble Build] that you can install on your phone.
After the launch of Android 10 officially, Google has also released the AOSP 10 Source Code. Whereas, XDA’s recognized developer phhusson has made this possible to use AOSP Android 10 GSI build for the General Mobile GM 8 model. Now, talking about the GSI (Generic System Image), it’s a system image with fine-tuned configurations for Android devices.
You can say that it’s a Pure Android system with an unmodified AOSP code that can run on Project Treble supported Android devices easily. You can check out the full step-by-step AOSP Android 10 installation process with all the requirements and downloads below.
Table of Contents
General Mobile GM 8 Specifications
The device came with a 5.7-inches HD+ IPS LCD display with a resolution of 1440×720 pixels. Under the hood, the handset is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 SoC that’s coupled with Adreno 505 GPU, 3GB/4GB RAM, 32GB/64GB onboard storage. The external memory supports up to 128GB. As we already said, it runs on Android 8.0 Oreo.
It packs a 13MP single rear camera setup with a dual-LED flash and the front features a 13MP selfie shooter with an f/2.2 aperture lens. In terms of the connectivity options, it has Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac, MicroUSB, GPS, A-GPS, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and more. While the device packs a 3075mAh battery.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It features offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layers and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of the Digital Wellbeing feature with an enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control devices or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Steps to Install AOSP Android 10 on General Mobile GM 8
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. But going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- You need to unlock the bootloader on General Mobile GM 8 at first.
- Download the required Android 10 GSI ROM file and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
Instructions to Install: AOSP Android 10 for General Mobile GM 8Guide to Install Generic System Image (GSI) on Your Android Device
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your General Mobile GM 8 handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.