HMD Global was launched the Nokia 1 in early 2018 and Nokia 1 Plus one year later. Both the phones are entry-level low-spec Android devices run on Android Go Edition. Now, both the devices are truly low-spec powered and can only run Android Go optimized software. However, Android 10 is now official and already running on so many Android devices. So, if you’re a Nokia 1 and 1 Plus user and want to taste out the latest software version, then this guide is for only you. Here we’ve shared the guide on How to Install AOSP Android 10 Update for Nokia 1 and 1 Plus [GSI Treble].
Android GSI (Generic System Image) is a system image for Android devices (Android 8.0 Oreo or above) which is considered to be a ‘Pure Android’ implementation on the AOSP source code. That means if your handset is running on Android 8.0 Oreo or higher then you can easily install the AOSP Android 10 GSI Custom ROM. Thanks to phhusson (XDA Recognized Developer) for building this GSI. Check out the full guide below with download links and the firmware installation steps.
Table of Contents
Nokia 1 and Nokia 1 Plus Specifications: Overview
The Nokia 1 Plus has a 5.45-inches IPS LCD display that runs on Android 9.0 Pie (Go). It’s powered by the Mediatek MT6739WW SoC, paired with 1GB RAM, 8GB/16GB internal storage. While the phone has an 8MP rear camera and a 5MP selfie camera. It has a 2,500mAh battery along with some other necessary connectivity and sensors.
On the other side, Nokia 1 has a 4.5-inches IPS LCD display with Android 8.1 Oreo (Go). It’s powered by Mediatek MT6737M SoC, coupled with 1GB RAM, 8GB of internal storage. It packs a 5MP rear camera and a 2MP selfie camera. The device has a 2,150mAh battery with other major sensors and connectivity options.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It features offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layers and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of the Digital Wellbeing feature with an enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control devices or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Steps to Install AOSP Android 10 Update for Nokia 1 and 1 Plus
PHH’s AOSP Android 10 GSIs are still marked as a pre-release. Even on a device that runs Pie GSIs nicely, it’s still possible to get broken media, camera, RIL or even flat-out no-boot. You are strongly advised to try PHH’s original and then identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that is based on this work. Please report bugs there only if it’s specific to this GSI.
We’re at GetDroidTips won’t be responsible for any kind of damage or error that occurs to your handset while or after following this guide. This is a Custom ROM and may contain some of the bugs or stability issues. We can’t recommend you to use this firmware as your daily driver. Proceed at your own risk.
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. But going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- You need to unlock the bootloader at first.
- Download the required Android 10 GSI ROM file and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- ARM, ARM64, or x86: Check your Android Phone’s Processor
- Treble Support: Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
Instructions to Install:Guide to Install Generic System Image (GSI) on Your Android Device
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Nokia 1 and 1 Plus handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.
Additional Notes for Nokia 1 Plus
Only “arm32_binder64-ab-vanilla” flavor is known working.
You must wipe data / factory reset under stock recovery + stock ROM before flashing this treble GSI, don’t use fastboot to erase userdata (either format userdata, -w or flash userdata are not acceptable). Otherwise you’ll only get less than 1GB free storage space to use.
Android 10 for Nokia 1
- Very unstable.
- Wi-Fi will kinda hang system. Sometimes will not work at all.
- Quickstep/SystemUI lock screen will hang the system and shows blank screen with System UI bar after a long while (Usually overnight sleep).
- Don’t set a lock screen. Will hang system and no password has been set after that. (Encryption issues)
- That means you can’t even use your existing user data from Android 8.1 or 9 to upgrade it. It will ask for Non-existent password when done with the upgrade. So backup before doing stuff.
- Video codec is kinda broken (As seen in Google’s looped static videos in Pixel Setup Wizard, Gesture settings illustration video)
- If system freaked out and got a Soft-reboot. Modem software will never work again until a full reboot is initiated.
- Easy Method To Root Nokia 1 Plus Using Magisk [No TWRP needed]
- How to Install Stock ROM on Nokia 1 Plus [Firmware Flash File]
- Download Nokia 1 Plus Stock Wallpapers
- How to Install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie on Nokia 1 [GSI Phh-Treble]
- Common Nokia 1 problems and Fixes- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Camera, SIM, and More