Ever since HMD Global, the Finnish company took over the proceedings of the Nokia brand, the brand which was once the most sought after smartphone OEM, is slowly getting back to its old glory. Talk about adding featureful phones to its portfolio or even talk about giving one of the best after-sales services in terms of providing the latest Android firmware or security updates, Nokia is doing it all and doing it quite correctly. Not only this has helped the Nokia brand to evolve and sustain in the competitive smartphone market, but also it has induced a feeling of belief in the brand.
The company was among the few smartphone OEMs that came with a dedicated Android 10 update roadmap when Google launched the Android 10 OS. Moreover, Nokia has also been quite diligent in rolling out timely Android 10 updates to its devices, and you can check out our dedicated Nokia section to read more about such devices. And ticking off one more device, Nokia has pushed the Android 10 stable update for its budget, Nokia 4.2 device. The update arrives with the version number V2.290 and has been made available for the global and European users.
The update brings in tons of new features like the Dark Mode, smart reply, gesture navigation, additional privacy controls along with the March 2020 security patchset. You can check out the firmware information along with the official changelog of the Android 10 update for the Nokia 4.2 below:
Firmware Information and Changelog
- Device: Nokia 4.2
- Android Version: Android 10
- Status: Stable
- Channel: Global/European
- Version: V2.290
- OTA size: 1.38 GB
- Dark mode — Take it easy on your eyes
- Smart reply — Save more time with recommended actions
- Gesture navigation — Get around with a swipe and a pull
- Additional controls for privacy and location
- Google Security Patch (2020-03)
- Check for OTA Update Manually
- Download and Install Nokia 4.2 Android 10 Update (OTA V2.90)
- Instructions to Install:
- How to Install AOSP Android 10 GSI Build on Nokia 4.2?
- Nokia 4.2 Specifications
- What’s on Android 10?
- Steps to Install Android 10 ROM on Nokia 4.2 (panther)
Check for OTA Update Manually
Note that the Android 10 update for the Nokia 4.2 will take some time to arrive on all the units as it is rolled out in a staged manner via OTA. However, if you don’t want to wait further or haven’t received the OTA update notification yet, then you can head over to the Settings > System > Advanced > System update > Check for update.
If the latest update is available, simply download and install it on your device manually. Make sure that the device is connected to a Wi-Fi network and charge it more than 50% before downloading the OTA. Alternatively, you can manually download the firmware from the link and install it by following the guide below.
Download and Install Nokia 4.2 Android 10 Update (OTA V2.90)
If you do not want to wait for the OTA to arrive on your Nokia 4.2, you can manually upgrade your phone by following the below mentioned steps.
- The firmware OTA file is exclusive for Nokia 4.2 model.
- The device should be running on the latest Android version in order to apply the Android 10 update.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 50% at least.
- Take a complete backup of your device data in order to get back all the important files.
Instructions to Install:
The manual installation of firmware requires you to enter the device to the stock recovery. The process is quite easy, just follow the steps mentioned below:
- Download the OTA zip file from the above download section.
- Now move it to your device storage.
- Switch off your Nokia 4.2.
- Press the Volume Up + Power button to enter the stock recovery mode.
- Now, you will see various options among which you will see an option called Apply Update from ADB.
- Scroll to the option using the Volume Up/Down button on your device and select it using the Power button.
- Now browse for the OTA zip you moved into your storage.
- Confirm using the power button to flash the OTA file.
- The installation will take some time. After it’s over you will be back to the Stock Recovery home screen.
- Scroll to the option Reboot System Now using the power button to select it.
- That’s it!
So, there you have it. If you follow the above steps carefully, you will be able to upgrade your Nokia 4.2 to the latest Android 10 OS with the latest March 2020 security patchset.
How to Install AOSP Android 10 GSI Build on Nokia 4.2?
If you just bought the Nokia 4.2 (codenamed panther) and want to install Android 10, then you are in the right place. In this guide, we will share a step by step tutorial to install the AOSP Android 10 update for Nokia 4.2 based on GSI treble custom build.
Thanks to one of the Recognized XDA Developers phhusson to made this possible. Now, whether your phone supports the Android 10 update officially or not, the Android 10 GSI build will help you out if your device is running on Android Oreo or later. Here you will get a full-depth installation process along with download links and pre-requirements below to easily flash the Android 10 Custom GSI on your device. Now, let’s have a look at the device overview at first.
GSI stands for Generic system image. It is a file-system image that you flash to your device’s system partition. It works as a pure Android implementation without any modifications or changes to the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code. It can be run on any Android devices running Android 8.1 or higher version due to the Project Treble support.