Last month, HMD Global unveiled the Nokia 8.1 aka Nokia X7 in China, the company’s new value flagship smartphone. The new Nokia 8.1 is not a successor to the Nokia 8 or Nokia 8 Sirocco in specifications, nor is it in the same market segment as those flagship smartphones. Today you can install the AOSP Android 10 Custom GSI build for the Nokia 8.1. Thanks to the XDA Recognized Developer phhusson for making this possible.
Well, GSI stands for Generic System image which is a “pure Android” implementation with unmodified Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code, runnable on a variety of Android devices that has treble support. Google rolled Android 10, the 10th iteration of Android OS with the codename Q. It will be supported by most of the devices that came out in 2019 and 18. Even if your device is not officially supported, then you may try the Android 10 GSI build on your device.
Here in this guide, we will explain how to download and install Android 10 GSI builds on Nokia 8.1 (pnx). We have provided the complete instruction and step by step guide to install the GSI custom build on Nokia 8.1. The steps are simple and easy to follow.
Nokia 8.1 Specifications
Nokia 8.1 was launched in December 2018 and comes with Android 9.0 out of the box. It has a comfortable to hold the display of 6.18 inches with a resolution of 1080 by 2246 pixels. The device is powered by 2.2 GHz Octa-core Qualcomm SDM710 Snapdragon 710 Processor coupled with 4 GB of RAM. Surprisingly the device is very smooth even with the most graphic or memory-intensive applications. You have an option to choose between 64 GB & 128 GB of storage options.
Nokia 8.1 comes with a mediocre battery of 3500 mAh which can juice the device for one complete day. As far as the cameras are concerned, Nokia 8.1 rocks a dual-camera system with 12 MP camera sensor and 13 MP camera sensor. For the selfie enthusiasts, Nokia 8.1 has 20 MP front-facing camera. Face detection and High Dynamic Range(HDR) are cherries on top.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It features offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layers and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of the Digital Wellbeing feature with an enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control devices or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Steps to Install Android 10 ROM on Nokia 8.1 (pnx)
We’re at GetDroidTips won’t be responsible for any kind of damage or error that occurs to your handset while or after following this guide. This is a Custom ROM and may contain some of the bugs or stability issues. We can’t recommend you to use this firmware as your daily driver. Proceed at your own risk.
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. But going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- You need to unlock the bootloader at first.
- Download the required Android 10 GSI ROM file and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- ARM, ARM64, or x86: Check your Android Phone’s Processor
- Treble Support: Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
Instructions to Install:Guide to install Generic System image (GSI) on your Android device
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Nokia 8.1 (pnx) handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.
If you find any problem with the latest build of Android 10 GSI, then you can report it on the official GitHub page: Click Here
- Nokia 8.1 Stock Firmware Collections [Back to Stock ROM]
- Nokia 8.1 Software Update Tracker: V4.15C October 2019 Security Patch
- Download Google Camera for Nokia 8.1 with HDR+/Night Sight [GCam]
- Download and Install Nokia 8.1 Android 10 OTA update (Official V4.15B)
- List of Android 10 Supported Nokia Devices