Are you looking for AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo on Galaxy J4 Plus? If yes, then you are in the right place. Today we will guide you on how to install AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo on Galaxy J4 Plus smartphone.
If you are here for the first time to install AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo on Galaxy J4 Plus, you can read our article to know the difference between custom ROM and stock ROM. To install a custom ROM, you need to unlock bootloader and must have a PC with all the ADB and USB drivers installed. This is a treble based ROM built by phhusson. Well, he is an XDA Recognized Developer who built most of the GSI treble ROM in XDA forum. Thanks to him for making this possible to install on Samsung Galaxy J4 Plus. If your device supports TWRP Recovery, You can follow our tutorial on how to flash custom ROM using TWRP Recovery.
Table of Contents
What’s in Android 8.1 Oreo:
After rolling the Android 8.0 Oreo, we know that Google will surely come up with the latest version which will improve the features which were implemented in Android 8.0 version.
As you’d expect, Android 8.1 Oreo is an incremental update that builds out some of the new features found in the first version of Oreo. Android 8.1 Oreo is an improved version and shortcomings of Android 8.0 Oreo – This doesn’t mean Android 8.1 doesn’t include the new feature because it does. Here are all the features of Android Oreo [8.0/8.1]
Features of Android Oreo:
- Notifications Channels (8.0)
- Picture In A Picture (8.0)
- Multi-Display Support (8.0)
- Keyboard Navigation (8.0)
- Background Limits (8.0)
- New Wi-Fi Features (8.0)
- Better Icons (8.0)
- Autofill (8.0)
- Cheeseburger Emoji (8.1)
- Neural Networks API (8.1)
- Pixel Visual Core co-processing technology to third-party developers (8.1)
- and many more
Steps to Install AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo on Galaxy J4 PlusVideo Guide to Flash Stock Firmware on your Device Using ODIN Software
To install this ROM on Samsung Galaxy J4 Plus, First of all, you need to Unlock Bootloader on your device. If you already did, then you can simply follow the below guide to flash the custom firmware via ADB Sideload method.
- Supported Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy J4 Plus
- Charge the Samsung Galaxy J4 Plus to a sufficient battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the process.
- We strongly recommend you to take a complete backup of your personal data, including the internal storage. The phone will be formatted, so be prepared for it. You can also follow our Android backup guide for the same. [Follow any method]
- You need a USB cable to connect your phone to PC.
- Download Samsung USB Drivers.
- You need to Unlock the bootloader on Galaxy J4 Plus.
- Download and Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy J4 Plus. [No TWRP yet! Try the 2nd method]
- Download AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo Phh-Treble GSI build here: Click Here [Download ARM not ARM64]
- If you have downloaded NoGapps file, then you can try Open Gapps or Android 8.1 Oreo Gapps package.
- Download Magisk zip file for root your device or flash SuperSU zip file
arm = 32 bit arm processor
arm64 = 64 bit arm processor
aonly = a partition scheme
ab = ab partition scheme
vanilla = there is no Gapps installed
Gapps = Gapps are installed
floss = an open source alternative to Gapps
SU = superuser (root)
noSU = no superuser (no root)
If you face bootloop with Gapps, then flash the Vanilla version and then you can install the OpenGapps or any other alternative Gapps.
Install via ADB Sideload
I hope this guide was helpful to install the AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo on Galaxy J4 Plus based on Project Treble GSI images.
If this method doesn’t work, then go to the AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo Phh-Treble thread in XDA and report your issue.
- Top 10 Features of Android 9.0 Pie Update
- Common Problems and solutions of Android 9.0 Pie
- Download Lineage OS 16: List of Supported Devices (Android 9.0 Pie)
- List of AOSP Android 9.0 Pie Custom ROM Supported devices
- Android 9.0 Pie: Supported Device List, Features and Downloads
- List of Pixel Experience ROM Supported Devices