Motorola Moto Z2 Play (albus) was launched in June 2017. The phone came out of the box with Android 7.1.1 Nougat and later upgrade to Android 8.0 Oreo. Now you can install the Custom ROM called ArrowOS on Moto Z2 Play. The ROM is based on Android 9.0 Pie. Full Credits to the developer and the team behind ArrowOS.
To install ArrowOS on Moto Z2 Play (albus), your device should have Bootloader Unlocked and should be running on latest TWRP Recovery. If you have all this, then you are good to try the new ArrowOS on your device. Follow our guide on how to upgrade, but before that. Let’s understand the features of ArrowOS.
What is ArrowOS?
ArrowOS is a new Custom ROM and it is AOSP inspired open source project started with the aim of keeping things simple, clean and neat. The ROM brings almost the same feature which is very useful for the ROM customization and at the end aiming to deliver smooth performance with better battery life. ArrowOS is developed and managed by Bauuuuu, Ganesh Verma, Kuber Sharma.
What’s on Android 9.0 Pie?
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th iteration and a major update of Google’s Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. Other features of Android 9 Pie are New Quick Settings UI design, Redesigned volume slider, Advanced Battery with AI Support, Notch Support, Improved Adaptive Brightness, Manual theme selection, Android Dashboard which Google calls Digital Wellbeing, and more other features.
Steps to Install ArrowOS on Moto Z2 Play (albus):
Follow this guide and download the TWRP recovery, drivers and things to start with.
- Supported: Moto Z2 Play [albus]
- Charge your phone up to 80% or 70%.
- We strongly recommend you to take a complete backup of your personal data, including the internal storage. The phone will be formatted, so be prepared for it. You can also follow our Android backup guide for the same. [Follow any method]
- Your device should be bootloader unlocked. [Moto Z2 Play Bootloader Unlock Guide]
- If your device supports TWRP Recovery, then you can follow the first method to flash via TWRP. If not, then install via ADB.
- Guide to install TWRP Recovery on Moto Z2 Play.
Download Required Files:
- You should install Motorola USB Drivers on your PC.
- Download ADB and Fastboot Drivers [Download ADB SDK Platform Tools]
- ArrowOS GSI Treble zip file: Download
- Download any Gapps file: [Only needed if you flash GSI image without Gapps]
Instructions to Install via TWRP Recovery
If the TWRP is supported on your device, then you can flash the ArrowOS GSI on Moto Z2 Play (albus) following this method.
- You need to first install any treble supported ROM on your device.
- Now make sure download the appropriate zip of GSI for your device (i.e. A or A/B)
- In your TWRP, [ boot into TWRP Recovery] You need to wipe: Dalvik and Cache
- You can flash the GSI (system image) from recovery
- Now you can install the System image file in TWRP: Install -> Install Image -> select system.img
- Reboot & Enjoy
Instructions to Install via ADB Sideload
If TWRP is not supported on your device, then you can flash the ArrowOS GSI on Moto Z2 Play by ADB and Fastboot tool.
- First of all, make sure to download ADB on your PC
- Now follow our guide to install Generic System Image on Project Treble Devices
I hope this guide was helpful to install the ArrowOS on Moto Z2 Play based on Project Treble GSI images.