From this post, you could download and install ArrowOS 11.0 Android 11 based ROM on Mi Mix 2S. Now that the Android 11 stable is up and running on Pixel devices, many other OEMs have also released their beta or preview builds. Xiaomi has also picked up the pace in testing out the latest Android version on its eligible devices. Talking about which, unfortunately, the Mix 2S isn’t part of the OEM’s plan for this update.
The device, launched in 2018 with Android 8.0 out of the box, has already received its fair share of two major updates, so we all knew this was coming. However, there is some great news in this regard. You could still get a taste of the latest Android by taking the unofficial route i.e. by using a Custom ROM. On that note, this tutorial will show you how to download and install ArrowOS 11.0 Android 11 based ROM on Mi Mix 2S. Follow along for the detailed instructions.
Table of Contents
What is ArrowOS 11.0
Belonging to the Android Open Source Project, ArrowOS is a reputed name when it comes to the custom ROM domain. All its ROMs maintains a perfect balance between feature set, privacy, and device stability, and its latest offering is no different. After CarbonROM and RevengeOS, ArrowOS is the newest entry in the list of Android 11 Custom ROMs. As of now, this ROM is available for the Mi Mix 2S as well. This straightaway translates that your device is about to be blessed with tons of goodies.
There will be a new conversation section, a native screen recorder, and new one-time permission. Along the same lines, you could now control smart home appliances or make NFC payment right from the power menu. Likewise, there are changes to the media player, ability to schedule dark mode, pin apps to the Share sheet, and a plethora of other features. And now, you could get all these features onto your Mi Mix 2S device by installing the ArrowOS 11.0 based on the latest Android 11. Here are the required instructions.
How to Install ArrowOS 11.0 on Mi Mix 2S
Before we list out the installation steps, there are a few prerequisites that your device needs to qualify. Likewise, some files need to be downloaded. So make sure you go through the downloads and requirements section and only then proceed with the instructions.
- First and foremost, create a complete device backup. Since we will be wiping the data partition, all your data will be lost, so have a backup beforehand.
- Next up, enable USB Debugging on your device. To do so, head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on MIUI Version 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Also, download and install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC.
- Likewise, install the Xiaomi USB Drivers onto your PC.
- Your device also needs to have the bootloader unlocked. If that is not the case, then you could refer to our detailed guide on How To Unlock Bootloader On Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S.
- You should also have the TWRP Recovery installed on your device. If you haven’t done so, you could take the help of your guide: How to Install Official TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S. Do keep in mind that the linked guide also has the steps to root the device. But as far as flashing this Custom ROM goes, that is not required. Hence you could skip the rooting part and only refer to the installation of the TWRP. Once that is done, come back to this guide and proceed with the installation of ArrowOS 11.0 Android 11 based ROM on Mi Mix 2S.
While you are aware of the ROM’s feature list, here are some known issues that you are likely to face as well.
- SELinux status permissive
Do keep in mind that there are two different builds of this ROM. The first one is the Vanilla variant those ships without GApps (clear AOSP). The second one is the GApps build, which comes with inbuilt Google Apps like Play Services, Core apps, and Play Store, Dialer, Messaging, Chrome, etc. Download the one as per your requirement. We would like to thank XDA Recognized Developer palaych for the ROM.
- Device: Mi Mix 2S
- ROM OS Version: Android 11
- Kernel: Linux 4.x
- Firmware Required: MIUI Q
- Based On: AOSP
- Download ROM: Mi Mix 2S (both the builds are included).
- Download Google Apps: GApps for Android 11
- [Optional] Root: Magisk Installer ZIP
Before moving on, we would suggest you transfer the ROM, GApps, and the Magisk (optional) files to your device.
According to the developer, the new build requires to be on Q firmware (fw) (MIUI V188.8.131.52 global or more new). So make sure your device qualifies it and only and proceed with the flashing instructions.
- Connect your device to PC via USB cable. Make sure Debugging is enabled.
- Now head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt window.
- Type in the below command to boot your device to TWRP Recovery:
adb reboot recovery
- Once your device boots to TWRP, head over to the Wipe section and tap on Advanced Wipe.
- Then select system, vendor, data, dalvik/cache and perform a right swipe to wipe these partitions.
- Once that is done, again go to Wipe, this time tap on Format Data. Type YES in the space provided and then tap the checkmark the tick-mark situated at the bottom right.
- Now go to Install, select the ArrowOS ROM file and perform a right swipe to flash the file
- After the ROM has finished installing, go to Install and this time flash the GApps package (if required).
- Then if you wish to root the device (optional), flash the Magisk ZIP file via the TWRP Install section.
- Finally, head over to Reboot and select System. Your device should now boot to the newly installed OS.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to install ArrowOS 11.0 Android 11 based ROM on Mi Mix 2S. These were the steps for the first time installation. If you are simply updating from an older version of Arrow to a newer one, then you could use the Updater App to download the new build. Then tap on Install and the device will reboot itself into TWRP and flash the new build. However, if you face issues related to Settings or Play Services while dirty flashing the update package, then should carry out a clean flash.
Moreover, do keep in mind that the first boot might take some time, nothing to worry about. Along the same lines, you will have to set up your device from scratch, considering it has gone a complete wipe. With that said, if you have any doubts, do let us know in the comments. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.