Last updated on April 19th, 2021 at 12:05 am
Xiaomi Mi 9 (codename: cepheus) launched in the year February 2019. The handset came with Android 9.0 Pie. In this guide, we will help you to install the latest CarbonROM on Xiaomi Mi 9 (cepheus) based on Android 11 R. Thanks to the developer Freesoul007 and CarbonROM developers for doing such wonders on bringing a stable custom ROM.
We have already shared the method to unlock its bootloader, root, and install TWRP Recovery, as well as carry out many other tweaks on the smartphone, the number of custom ROMs compatible with the Xiaomi Mi 9 is still small compared to many other Android smartphones. In this article, I’ll show you how you can install CarbonROM on Xiaomi Mi 9 based on Android 11.
Xiaomi Mi 9 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset coupled with 6/8GB of RAM and 64/128GB of internal storage. The device came out of the box with Android 9.0 Pie under MIUI 10 and backed by a 3300 mAh battery (Non-removable). As far as the camera concerned, the device has a Triple-camera setup with 48MP + 12MP + 16MP primary sensors and a selfie camera with an 20MP lens. Other connectivity option includes 4G-VoLTE, GPS, Glonass, Bluetooth, Mobile Hotspot, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, gyroscope, proximity sensor, and compass/ magnetometer. etc. The Xiaomi Mi 9 come with a fingerprint sensor under display.
What is CarbonROM
Among the most popular players in the custom ROM domain, CarbonROM has a lot to offer tech enthusiasts. Based on the Android Open Source Project, it has a dedicated Carbon Fibre section that boasts of some pretty nifty features exclusive to this ROM. These include customizations to the System, Status bar, Lock Screen, Buttons, gestures, and Privacy. All these features do add up versatility and customization to the overall OS.
But with so many features incorporated into a ROM, there is always a risk of ROM being on the unstable front. However, that isn’t the case here. The developers have made sure that the stability of the ROM remains among its top-priority. And it seems to have delivered on its promise. With that said, if you are interested in trying out the CarbonROM based on Android 11, then here is the required information.
Download ROM package here
How to Install CarbonROM on Xiaomi Mi 9:
To flash CarbonROM on Xiaomi Mi 9, you need to have TWRP Recovery installed on the smartphone. I’m going to show you how to do that, but first, you need to unlock your bootloader.
Before moving on to the steps to install Xiaomi Mi 9 Carbon ROM, you have to follow few
- First off, create a complete device backup. This is because we will have to wipe off the data partition which will erase all the data on your device.
- You have to enable the Developer Option and then USB Debugging.
- Next up, your device’s bootloader also needs to be unlocked. To unlock the bootloader on your Xiaomi Mi 9, follow this tutorial.
- You can now install TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 9.
- If you already have the TWRP Recovery, then make sure you still have the ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer.
That’s all the prerequisites. You may now begin with the steps to install the CarbonROM based on Android 11 onto your device.
- Transfer the downloaded TWRP Recovery and GApps package (if downloaded) to your device.
- Enter TWRP Recovery mode by combination key or reboot using ADB.
- To reboot to recovery via ADB, make sure to enable USB debugging and connect your device to the PC.
- Next, head over to the adb fastboot folder, type in CMD in the address and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Execute the below command to boot your device to the TWRP Recovery
adb reboot recovery
- Now from the TWRP home screen, head over to Wipe and select Advanced Wipe.
- Then select the Dalvik Cache, System, Vendor, and Data. Perform a right swipe to wipe the selected partitions.
- When that is done, head back to the TWRP main screen and tap on Install. Navigate to the CarbonROM, select it, and perform a right swipe to flash it onto your device.
- The process may take some time, when that is done, you may then flash the GApps package as well (optional). For that, head over to Install, select the GApps file and perform a right-swipe to flash it.
- You may now reboot your device to the newly installed OS. For that, go to TWRP main menu > Reboot >System. That’s it.
I hope this guide was helpful to install CarbonROM on Xiaomi Mi 9.
- How To Install TWRP Recovery On Xiaomi Mi 9 and Root with Magisk/SU
- Download and Install AOSP Android 11 for Xiaomi Mi 9
- Xiaomi Mi 9 Stock Firmware Collections [Back To Stock ROM]
- List of Best Custom ROM for Xiaomi Mi 9 [Updated]
- Download and Install Lineage OS 18.1 on Xiaomi Mi 9 (Android 11)
- Common Xiaomi Mi 9 Problems and Fixes – Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Camera, SIM, and More