Google Pixel 3 XL (codename: crosshatch) launched in October 2018. The smartphone came out of the box with Android 9.0 Pie. You can enjoy the new update in the form of Custom ROM called Dirty Unicorn. Thanks to the developers who has worked his free time to bring a stable version of Dirty Unicorn ROM for Pixel 3 XL based on Android Pie. Yes, now you can install Dirty Unicorns ROM on Pixel 3 XL (crosshatch) by following our guide.
Dirty Unicorns ROM is one of the best custom ROM which is built from AOSP. The project was originally started by Alex Cruz aka Mazda in the year 2012. The ROM was first based off AOKP and later moved to AOSP tree to continue the work for a long run. This Custom ROM comes with many features such as:
- Full rootless Substratum support
- Statusbar Customization
- Quick Settings Tweaks
- Gesture Support and many other tweaks
Full Credits to Alex Cruz and the team behind the DU for bringing the much awaited Dirty Unicorns ROM for Pixel 3 XL with Android 8.1 Oreo. By installing this ROM, you can enjoy the latest version of Dirty Unicorns ROM on Pixel 3 XL.
Here you can download and install the latest Dirty Unicorns ROM on Pixel 3 XL based on Android Pie. The ROM is stable and can be used as a daily driver. Before moving to the installation part, let me brief the new changes in Android 9.0 Pie.
What’s in Android 9.0 Pie?
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th iteration and a major update of Google’s Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. Other features of Android 9 Pie are New Quick Settings UI design, Redesigned volume slider, Advanced Battery with AI Support, Notch Support, Improved Adaptive Brightness, Manual theme selection, Android Dashboard which Google calls Digital Wellbeing, and more other features.
Steps to Install Dirty Unicorns ROM on Pixel 3 XL:
If you want to install Dirty Unicorns ROM on Pixel 3 XL, you must first Unlock Bootloader and your device should have TWRP Recovery. If you are already running any custom ROM or any builds, then we recommend you to clean flash, wipe data and system before flashing Dirty Unicorns Oreo ROM on your phone. Here is the statement from Alex Cruz:[su_quote]This means that if you dare to dirty flash said builds on top of anything else, you’ll be met with a black screen. It won’t boot. This is intended because we want our users to get the very best experience. We want you to start off the right foot and thus forcing you to clean flash. Moving forward on to weeklies and other official builds, you won’t need to clean flash if you’re still in the official build.[/su_quote]
- Make sure to have enough battery charge on your Pixel 3 XL to avoid interruption during the patch installation.
- Before performing any modification take backup of your device data.
- This image file is strictly for Pixel 3 XL only. Do not use it on any other Xiaomi or other Android devices.
- Download all the Zip files from below and Place it in your phone’s root of internal memory.
- You should unlock your bootloader on Pixel 3 XL.
- Install the latest version of TWRP Recovery on Pixel 3 XL.
Download Required Files:
Instructions to Install on Pixel 3 XL:
- First of all, make sure to download and move all the above required ROM packages on your Pixel 3 XL Internal storage.
- First of all, Boot into TWRP Recovery on your device
- You can now take a complete backup of your ROM using TWRP Recovery.
- Now you need Wipe System Data on TWRP Recovery
- Once you are in TWRP Recovery, first of all. Take a complete backup of stock or custom ROM using TWRP.
- Now wipe the cache, data, and system before flashing the Dirty Unicorns ROM on Pixel 3 XL.
- To Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, and Data and then swipe to wipe. [su_note note_color=”#fef0ef” text_color=”#000000″]Warning: Make sure not to select Internal storage[/su_note]
- Convert DATA & CACHE EXT4 —-> to —> F2FS format [IMPORTANT!]
(Unecessary if you have done it before)
- Now you can install the System image file in TWRP: Install -> Install zip -> select DU Zip file
- That’s it! Reboot and enjoy!
- If you want to root you can either try SuperSU root or you can try Magisk root.