Motorola Moto Z2 Play (albus) launched in June 2017. The phone came out of the box with Android 7.1.1 Nougat and later upgrade to Android 8.0 Oreo. If you are a fan of Custom ROM, then you can try the latest Custom ROM dotOS on Moto Z2 Play. The ROM is based on the latest AOSP Android 8.1 Oreo. You can simply follow this guide to install the dotOS on Moto Z2 Play (albus).
If you would like to try dotOS on Moto Z2 Play device, then Unlock Bootloader and Install the latest TWRP Recovery. If you experience any error while installing, then please make sure to download the latest TWRP image to enjoy smooth installation. We have already shared both unlocking and TWRP installation guide for Moto Z2 Play. So before we dive into the installation process, let’s know about the dotOS and it’s feature.
What is dotOS?
dotOS is a simple abbreviation of the term Droid On Time Operating System. It is developed by a community and team members: Ganesh Varma and Kuber Sharma. The ROM brings many new tweaks and features and also merged some features from Best Custom ROM.
Whether you are installing Custom ROM for the first time or you already installed any custom ROM on your phone. Then give a try on the latest Custom ROM called dotOS. The ROM brings many cool features and aims to deliver the best performance and stability. Yes! the developer behind the dotOS focuses on Performance and Battery! So that one can get most out of your device.
Features of dotOS:
- Status Bar Tweaks: You can change the clock and date position, Battery icon style, status bar icons, and other miscellaneous.
- Navigation Bar Customization: Resize, Smartbar tweaks and also you can change to Fling and other DUI nav tweaks
- Quick Settings: You have brightness slider toggle, change tiles color, quick and smart pull down and many more.
- Recent Menu: Show memory bar, immersive recent option along with clear all button.
- Lockscreen Customization: Double tap to sleep and other lock screen features.
- Buttons: you can customize the power menu, H/W Keys, and Volume Button tweaks
- Miscellaneous: Battery light charging customizations, App Ops, and many other features.
Steps to Install dotOS on Moto Z2 Play:
If you are installing custom ROM for the first time, then make sure to read our article about the difference between Custom ROM and Stock ROM. If you already have a custom ROM on Moto Z2 Play, then we can assure that dotOS is the best Custom ROM. The ROM brings many features along with good battery backup and performance. Like we said, this ROM is based on Android 8.1 Oreo. Here is the quick recap of what’s on Android 8.1 Oreo.
What’s in Android 8.1 Oreo?
As you’d expect, Android 8.1 Oreo is an incremental update that builds out some of the new features found in the first version of Oreo. Android 8.1 Oreo is an improved version and shortcomings of Android 8.0 Oreo – This doesn’t mean Android 8.1 doesn’t include the new feature because it does. Here are all the features of Android Oreo [8.0/8.1]
Features of Android Oreo:
- Notifications Channels (8.0)
- Picture In A Picture (8.0)
- Multi-Display Support (8.0)
- Keyboard Navigation (8.0)
- Background Limits (8.0)
- New Wi-Fi Features (8.0)
- Better Icons (8.0)
- Autofill (8.0)
- Cheeseburger Emoji (8.1)
- Neural Networks API (8.1)
- Pixel Visual Core co-processing technology to third-party developers (8.1)
- and many more
Also Read: Top 10 Features of Android Oreo
- Supported: Moto Z2 Play (albus)
- Charge your phone up to 80% or 70%.
- Download the latest Motorola USB Drivers
- Take Full Backup before flashing this on your phone: (You can try any backup method)
How to Backup Your Android Phone Without ROOT
How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
Backup Your Android Apps and Data with Titanium Backup
How to Backup Your Android Phone Directly to PC with TWRP!!
How to Backup Your Data on Android device
- Download all the Zip files from below and Place it in your phone’s root of internal memory.
Instructions to Install dotOS on Moto Z2 Play:
- First of all, you need to Unlock Bootloader on Moto Z2 Play (albus)
- Now install TWRP Recovery for Moto Z2 Play. Watch Full Video on How to Install TWRP on any Android Phone.
- Download the below DotOS 8.1 Oreo for Moto Z2 Play.
- Now boot into TWRP Recovery, Here is the method to boot into Recovery.
- Before installing Wipe System Data on TWRP Recovery (DO NOT WIPE INTERNAL STORAGE)
- How to Install Android 8.1 Oreo on Motorola Moto Z2 Play
- How To Root and Install TWRP Recovery for Moto Z2 Play
- Moto Z2 Play Kernel Source Code Is Now Officially Available
- How to Install Lineage OS 15.1 for Moto Z2 Play (Android 8.1 Oreo)
Required ROM FILES
Download Any Of the Gapps Below
Gapps For LineageOS 15/15.1 [Also Supported any Android 8.1]
If you don’t want SuperSU rooting guide, then you can try Magisk on your phone.
[su_note note_color=”#fffde3″]Note: If you already installed SuperSU, then make sure to follow our guide on How to Switch from SuperSU to Magisk. This guide will help you to easily revert the rooting and pass SafetyNet check[/su_note]
- Official and Unofficial Lineage OS 14.1 Device List and Download Link
- List Of Devices Getting Lineage OS 15.0 (Android 8.0 Oreo)
- Android Oreo is Here: List Of Official Supported Device
- List of MIUI 9 Supported Devices – Official and Unofficial
- List of All AOSP Android 8.0 Oreo Supported Device
- Resurrection Remix Oreo Release Date: List of Supported device
- Dirty Unicorns Oreo ROM: Supported Devices List, Downloads and Features
That’s it! I hope you have installed the dotOS on Moto Z2 Play. Leave a comment or feedback down below. Thank you!.
Credit goes to: BrunoRocha