Lava Z51’s phone was propelled in November 2018. The smartphone accompanies a 5.70-inch touchscreen that has a display with 720 pixels by 1440 pixels. It is powered by Spreadtrum SC9832E chipset, 1 GB of RAM and 16 GB of internal storage. Here in this guide, we will share the AOSP Android 10 Custom GSI build for Lava Z51. Thanks to the XDA Recognized Developer phhusson for making this possible.
Now, you may ask what is GSI? A GSI (generic system image) is a system image with minimal configurations for Android devices. It works as a pure Android implementation without any modifications or changes to the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code. It can be run on any Android devices running Android 8.1 or higher version due to the Project Treble support. Here we have shared a step-by-step guide to flash AOSP Android 10 on Lava Z51 below.
But before going to the installation steps, let’s have a look at the device overview and then Android 10 overview as well.
Table of Contents
Lava Z51 Specifications:
Lava Z51 was announced in June 2019 which sports a 5-inch PLS TFT display with a screen resolution of 960 x 480 pixels with 224 PPI pixel density.
Lava Z51 is powered by a Spreadtrum SC9832E chipset coupled with 1GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. It also supports an external memory card. The device came out of the box with Android 8.1 Oreo and backed by a 2250 mAh battery (Non-removable).
As far as the camera concerned, the device has a single-camera setup with 5.04 primary sensors and a selfie camera with a 4.92MP lens. Other connectivity option includes 4G-VoLTE, GPS, Glonass, Bluetooth, Mobile Hotspot, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, gyroscope, proximity sensor, and compass/ magnetometer. etc
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It features offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layers and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of the Digital Wellbeing feature with an enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control devices or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Steps to Install Android 10 ROM on Lava Z51
PHH’s AOSP Android 10 GSIs are still marked as a pre-release. Even on a device that runs Pie GSIs nicely, it’s still possible to get broken media, camera, RIL or even flat-out no-boot. You are strongly advised to try PHH’s original and then identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that is based on this work. Please report bugs there only if it’s specific to this GSI.
We’re at GetDroidTips won’t be responsible for any kind of damage or error that occurs to your handset while or after following this guide. This is a Custom ROM and may contain some of the bugs or stability issues. We can’t recommend you to use this firmware as your daily driver. Proceed at your own risk.
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. But going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
- You need to unlock the bootloader at first.
- ARM, ARM64, or x86: Check your Android Phone’s Processor
- Treble Support: Check If Your Smartphone Supports Project Treble
- To flash via recovery, you need TWRP Recovery. Download if supported, if not try the ADB and fastboot method
- Download the required Android 10 GSI ROM file and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
A only arm64 – arm64 avN
A/B arm64 – arm64 bvN
A/B arm32 – arm bvN
Instructions to Install:Guide to install Generic System image (GSI) on your Android device
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Lava Z51 handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.
If you find any problem with the latest build of Android 10 GSI, then you can report it on the official GitHub page: Click Here