Google has released its budget segment smartphone called Pixel 3a XL (codenamed: Bonito) in May 2019. The device came with Android 9.0 Pie out-of-the-box. Thanks to the XDA Developers team for sharing the guide to download and install LineageOS 16 on Google Pixel 3a XL based on 9.0 Pie. It’s highly recommended to take a complete backup before doing anything. If you’re using the Pixel 3a XL and gets bored of the Stock UI, you can easily flash the third-party LineageOS Custom ROM.
In order to install LineageOS 16 on Google Pixel 3a XL, your device should have Bootloader Unlocked and should be running on the latest TWRP Recovery. Thanks to one of the recognized XDA Members Geo411m for sharing the firmware file and installation steps for the Pixel 3a XL users. Follow the full guide on how to install or upgrade the LineageOS 16 ROM on your Pixel 3a XL.
But let’s take a look at the features of Android 9.0 Pie and LineageOS 16 at first.
Android 9.0 Pie
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th generation and a major update of Google’s Android OS. The new Android Pie brings plenty of new features and changes to the system than the previous generation Android Oreo. It offers swipe gesture navigation control, New Quick Settings UI, New volume slider, etc. Additionally, it also brings Advanced Battery & Brightness, Notch Support, Digital Wellbeing, New Recent UI, and more.
The 9.0 Pie also offers App Action, App Slices, App Timer, Rotation Lock icon, New Settings UI, Home screen clock widget with date and weather, search widget moves to the bottom, etc.
LineageOS 16 based on Android 9.0 Pie
LineageOS 16 is the latest and one of the most stable Android 9.0 Pie-based Custom ROMs. It brings so many features and customizations. Most of the Custom ROM users prefer LineageOS as a daily driver. Though Custom Firmware isn’t stable and secure enough as compared to the Stock ROM. Meanwhile, the Stock ROM doesn’t provide you that much of customizations. LineageOS is the part of CyanogenOS which was popular and widely used by the users. The best part is that LineageOS users always get software updates.Watch Video of LineageOS 16 Android 9.0 Pie Full Review
- T-Mobile variant tested with Nano Open GAPPS and Stock OpenGAPPS.
- Camera, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS works fine.
- Squeeze sensor
- The eSIM doesn’t work and the functionality has been removed.
- If flashing GApps, an app downloaded during the first-time setup.
- Data Transfer Tools will crash constantly and needs to be uninstalled. This may mean you can’t transfer data from an old phone to this one via setup.
Steps to Install LineageOS 16 on Google Pixel 3a XL
Follow the full guide with download links, tools, requirements step-by-step properly.
- Supported for: Google Pixel 3a XL (Bonito) model only. Don’t try it on other devices.
- Charge your device up to 60% or more for a smoother process.
- You will require a Windows PC/Laptop and a USB cable. (For Fastboot Method)
- Take a complete backup without Root of your device data.
- Download the latest Android USB Drivers on your PC/Laptop.
- LineageOS 16 zip file: Download (TWRP) | Download (Fastboot)
- Follow the guide: How to Install TWRP Recovery on Pixel 3a and 3a XL
- Download the latest GApps file: Open GApps and move it to the device storage.
Instructions to Install – Via TWRP:
- First of all, You need to enable the developer option and activate the OEM unlock and USB debugging.
- Now, you need to unlock the bootloader on your Google Pixel 3a XL.
- Once you have unlocked, you must install the latest TWRP Recovery on Google Pixel 3a XL.
- Now, the guide will be easy, boot into TWRP Recovery
- You need to Decrypt and Re-Encrypt Data Partition on Google Pixel 3a XL.
- You can now take a complete backup of your ROM using TWRP Recovery.
- Now, you need Wipe System Data on TWRP Recovery
- Tap on Install option and look for the downloaded LineageOS 16 zip file. [Guide to install Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery]
- Swipe to confirm the flashing.
- Now, you need to install the Android Pie GApps file. (TWRP > Install > Select GApps zip file and swipe to flash)
- Now, wait for it to complete the process and reboot your handset.
- If you want to root you can either try SuperSU or Magisk.
Via Fastboot Method:
Follow the fastboot installation code from below. Type and enter the following codes and hit enter to process step-by-step.
- Boot your device into fastboot mode.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot flash system system.img
- Reboot your device now:
That’s it! We assume that you have successfully installed the LineageOS 16 on Pixel 3a XL device. If in case, you’re facing any issues, feel free to ask in the comments below.
Now, let’s take a look at the device specifications in brief if in case you can’t remember the specs and features.
Google Pixel 3a XL Specifications and Features
- Display: A 6-inches OLED display with 1080×2160 pixels resolution
- CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 670 SoC
- GPU: Adreno 615 GPU
- Memory: 4GB RAM and 64GB onboard storage
- OS: Android 9.0 Pie (Soon upgradable to Android Q)
- Rear Camera: A 12.2MP single rear camera with dual-pixel PDAF, OIS, HDR, Panorama, dual-LED flash
- Front Camera: An 8MP selfie camera with HDR
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, NFC, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Dual-band Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct, Micro USB port, a 3.5mm audio jack, Dual Nano-SIM (Secondary: eSIM), etc.
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 3700 mAh battery with 18W fast charging
- Dimensions: 160.1 x 76.1 x 8.2 mm
- Weight: 167 grams
- Colors: Just Black, Clearly White, Purple