Finally, Xiaomi entered the party to roll the Android 8.0 Oreo for Xiaomi Mi 5 (Scorpio). The update is currently available as an OTA for devices running Stock ROM without Root. Now install Xiaomi Mi 5 Android 8.0 Oreo Update by following our guide.
The update is sent via OTA (Over the air), and it may take a couple of days or even weeks to receive the update. Like we said, The update is rolling in a phase-wise manner. You need to wait for the official roll out to upgrade Xiaomi Mi 5 to Android 8.0 Oreo Update. The update brings the latest Android 8.0 Oreo update and features along with a couple of improvements in performance and stability on Xiaomi Mi 5 (Scorpio).
Xiaomi Mi 5 is a dual SIM smartphone launched in February 2016. The phone comes with a 5.15-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080 pixels by 1920 pixels. It runs on 1.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor and 3 GB of RAM. It comes with Android 6.0 Marshmallow out-of-the-box. This device packs a 32 GB of expandable internal storage. Xiaomi Mi 5 brings a 16-megapixel primary camera on the rear and a 4-megapixel camera on the front.
Before following the instruction to update the Xiaomi Mi 5 Android 8.0 Oreo, let’s brief about what is new in this Android 8.0 Oreo OS:
What’s on Android 8.0 Oreo?
Android 8.0 Oreo is the latest iteration of the Android Operating system. This is the 8th major version of the Android mobile operating system after the release of Android Nougat. The latest features of Android Oreo includes New app notifications, notification dots on app icons, picture-in-picture mode, Android Instant App compatibility, Auto-fill (like on Chrome), Better copy and paste, Faster Android behind the scenes, Better battery life with more advanced Doze mode, and more.
New features for Android Oreo:
- Notifications Channels – This feature provides the ability to group notifications from numerous apps into one channel. This means you can group notifications for certain apps together and make it easier for the management of notifications. This is overall a nice addition to what Google started with Android Nougat.
- Picture In A Picture – Videos will switch to smaller, minimized versions when you navigate to other apps. This feature is similar to what a YouTube video does in the YouTube mobile app when you drag it to the corner.
- Multi-Display Support – This feature would provide you with the ability to launch an activity, say, Chrome, on a remote display like your HDTV or PC display. The potential applications for this feature are endless.
- Keyboard Navigation – This feature would bring to you the ability to use keys to navigate apps.
- Background Limits – This feature will let you set a limit to what an app can do while it’s operating in the background. You can use this to conserve power and in turn get more battery life.
- New Wi-Fi Features – This new Android version would Include more Wi-Fi features like Neighborhood Aware Networking (NAN), which makes it easy for devices to connect with one another without an internet access point or internet access at all.
- Better Icons – Google has made icons in Android O to be adaptive. This means that they will take different shapes depending on the system they’re used on. This is a cool feature, isn’t it?
In case you didn’t receive the OTA update for Android Oreo, and you can’t wait, then you can check for the Xiaomi Mi 5 Android 8.0 Oreo update manually by following the below steps.
How to Check Software Update on Xiaomi Mi 5
- On your Xiaomi Mi 5, Go to Settings
- Tap on About Phone
- Now tap on System Update
- Wait until you see a screen showing the latest build.
If you have any update, then hit the DOWNLOAD to start downloading. Once the download is done, you can upgrade your Mi 5 to MIUI 220.127.116.11 Oreo Update. Also, make sure to follow the below important note before upgrading via OTA.
[su_note note_color=”#fff2fc” text_color=”#000000″]
Before proceeding to download, make sure your phone has enough battery backup with at least 50% battery. Also, check if you have enough storage to download and install the latest update on Xiaomi Mi 5. We suggest you to choose a Wi-Fi or a 4G connection to download it. Also, don’t forget to take the data backup to avoid any problem in case things go wrong. After following the procedure mentioned above, you can now start downloading the new OTA update on Xiaomi Mi 5.
If you have received the OTA update, then hit the Download button to start upgrading your phone. In case if still not received then kindly wait for the next phase of OTA rollout.
Either you can wait for the OTA update, or you can manually grab the download link once it is available. If you still not received the update on Xiaomi Mi 5, then check our article on How to force download latest OTA updates on your Android device.
Steps to Install Xiaomi Mi 5 Android 8.0 Oreo Update
Before following the below guide, make sure to download and move the complete zip file to SD card (Recovery method) and also follow the pre-requisite.
- This ROM is supported only for Xiaomi Mi 5 (Scorpio).
- Download and Install the latest Xiaomi USB Driver for Windows and MAC
- Download and Install the Xiaomi Mi Flash tool on your PC (Fastboot Method)
- Charge your phone to at least 60-70% before upgrading your phone.
- Take a complete backup (Recommended)
—–> How to Backup Your Android Phone Without ROOT
—–> Backup Your Android Apps and Data with Titanium Backup
—–> How to Backup Your Data on Android device
GetDroidTips will not be responsible for bricking or damage to your device
Instructions to Install:
To install Android 8.0 Oreo on Mi 5, we have given two methods, either you can follow the recovery method or you can follow the fastboot method.
I hope this guide was helpful to install Xiaomi Mi 5 Android 8.0 Oreo Update.