Essential Phone is always trying to provide the latest software updates and monthly security patches to Essential PH-1 device frequently. Though we all know and can see that only Google Pixel devices are capable of getting faster and frequent Android updates. As a non-Pixel device, Essential also doing very good. Google has just released the latest August 2019 Android Security Patch for all the Google Pixel devices. Now, Essential Phone is also receiving the updates. Now, you can Download PQ1A.190105.112: Essential Phone August 2019 Security patch.
It’s worth mentioning that the OnePlus has already rolled out current August Security Patch update to some of its devices a couple of days ago. Therefore, this time OnePlus has also maintained the update tracking record with the even faster move. Now, let’s take a look at the update details and download links. We will also share with you the manual way to update the system version along with all requirements and tools or drivers as well.
Table of Contents
- 1 Essential Phone August 2019 Security patch Released: PQ1A.190105.112
- 2 Download PQ1A.190105.112: August 2019 Security patch
- 3 Steps to Sideload ADB (for OTA only):
- 4 Steps to Flash via Fastboot Method:
Essential Phone August 2019 Security patch Released: PQ1A.190105.112
The latest Android security patch update is based on Android 9 Pie build with the PQ1A.190105.112 baseband version. The firmware update brings the current August 2019 Security Patch. However, there are no other details mentioned on the update changelog. Essential team has officially tweeted about the update release.
However, we can expect that the latest security patch update will enhance the system stability and security features as well. You can download and install either the OTA file or Fastboot file for your Essential Phone and enjoy the new system update. Essential has started rolling out the update for both open market and Sprint carrier users. Therefore, any of the users can download and manually install the update on their devices.
In order to install the update, we have mentioned both the methods below.
Download PQ1A.190105.112: August 2019 Security patch
- OTA – SHA-256 Checksum – 6a5fcc4a8965cbb2195b3325e47bbb97c5083737639fdd2866c18a98d9583ee4
- Fastboot – SHA-256 Checksum – 51e95fda1f8578d5ca1a5fb13c8c80334bbf41226fff070f8dedd365340d5399
Check for OTA Updates Manually
If you’re using the Essential PH-1 device and didn’t get the OTA update notification yet, check out the OTA updates manually.
- Go to the device Settings > About Phone > System Update > then tap on Check for Update.
- If the update is available for your device then download the update and install it normally.
- Download and install the Essential USB Drivers on your PC.
- Download and install the ADB and Fastboot tool on your computer as well.
- You will require a PC/Laptop and a USB cable.
- Make sure to keep the device battery charged up to 50% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a full backup without Root of the device data before flashing the firmware.
- Enable the USB Debugging and OEM Unlock on your device.
- Download and Install the ADB and Fastboot drivers on your Windows/Mac.
Steps to Sideload ADB (for OTA only):
- Download the appropriate factory image to your computer.
- Verify the checksum of the image. The OTA mechanism has a built-in validation feature, but verifying will save you some time if the file is incomplete. The last portion of the filename is the first 8 digits of its SHA-256 checksum; the full SHA-256 checksum is also shown next to the download link.
- Make sure USB debugging is enabled, then execute:
adb reboot recovery
- If you’re unable to use ADB to reboot into recovery, you can use the key combination for your device. To get into Fastboot, press Volume-Down + Power buttons.
- For Recovery mode, press Volume-Up + Power buttons.
- Then, navigate to the Recovery option by pressing the Volume-Down button. Once Recovery is highlighted, press the Power button to confirm.
Your device is now in Recovery mode. An Android logo with a red exclamation mark should appear on the screen.
- Hold the Power button, then press the Volume-Up button one time. When the menu appears, select Apply update from ADB.
- Run the following command:
- Then check that your device shows up with ‘sideload’ next to its name
- Run the following command: (ota_file.zip will be the actual file name. Replace it)
adb sideload ota_file.zip
- Once the update finishes, select Reboot system now to reboot your phone. (For security, you should disable USB debugging when the device is not being updated)
Steps to Flash via Fastboot Method:
- Make sure that you have successfully installed the device USB drivers on your PC.
- Install the fastboot tool from the Android SDK Platform-Tools package.
- Add it to your path so the flash scripts can find it.
- Connect your Essential phone to your computer with a USB cable.
- Enable unlocking via Settings > then tap on System > About phone > tap on Build number for 7 times until you see the pop-up message “You are now a developer”.
- Go back to the System menu again, then tap on Developer options.
- Turn on the toggle to Enable OEM Unlocking.
- Use the ADB tool packaged above to run the command:
adb reboot recovery
- Reboot your phone while holding the Volume-down button
Unlock Device Bootloader:
- Run the command:
fastboot flashing unlock
Press the Volume-down button to navigate to the YES option, then press the Power button to confirm
Flash your Factory Image:
- Download the factory image to your computer
- Unzip the downloaded file
- Go to where you unzipped the images
For Linux / Mac OS X – Run the command: flashall.sh
- For Windows – Run the command:
Relock Device Bootloader:
After flashing, it’s a good idea to relock your bootloader for security.
- Go back to fastboot mode
- Run the command:
fastboot flashing lock
We hope that you have successfully installed the latest August 2019 Security Patch on the Essential PH. If you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.