Now you can use Google cam AKA Gcam on your Xiaomi Mi A1. Yes..all you need to do is enable camera2API. Adding icing to the cake you can also enable the EIS (Electronic Image Stabilization). Yet again making it all easier, you do not have to root your Xiaomi Mi A1. Sounds interesting right..?1 Then read on. To be able to run Gcam, you need to enable camera2API. Camera2 is nothing but an Application Programming Interface shortened as API. What this does is, it gives the developers to access the certain sections of the software of the device. As the name suggests Camera2API was actually introduced by Google. It is there since Google released Android 5.0 Lollipop. Its purpose was to provide advanced support for the camera.
In more simpler terms, if we enable the Camera2API, we will get better picture quality, HD video record support, high frame rate etc. Usually one would think that accessing superuser level and making under the hood changes (in this case enabling camera2API) requires root. You can enable camera2API without root access thanks to developer AridaneAM. We have discussed two methods below to enable Camera2API. One can enable the camera2API using the tool created by the developer. Alternatively, one can also use the ADB Fastboot method to install this mod. Both the steps have been discussed below.
Mi A1 is the latest smartphone from Chinese OEM Xiaomi powered by Google. This device is a product of the AndroidOne Project that provides stock Android experience to users on a mid-range budget. The phone runs on stock Android 7.1.2 Nougat. Powered by 2GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor, it comes with 4GB of RAM. It brings expandable 64GB of internal storage. Xiaomi Mi A1 packs a 12-megapixel primary camera on the rear and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera.
Below we have the complete tutorial to enable Camera2API and also EIS on Xiaomi MiA1. We have provided the download links for the Gcam tool and other downloadables.
How To Enable Camera2API and EIS on Xiaomi Mi A1 and Install Gcam
Before, going towards the step of modding, please note the following,
- Ensure your device has 70-80 % of battery charge.
- This process and tools are exclusively for Xiaomi MiA1. Don’t use them on other devices.
- Install USB drivers for your device.
- You have to install ADB Fastboot on your Mi A1.
- You have to unlock the bootloader of your device. This may erase all data from your device.
- Take a backup of your phone’s data.
- GetDroidTips will not be responsible if your device bricks or any damage happens during this process.
Enable Camera2API, EIS, and Gcam Using USB Debugging
First of all, you have to download Gcam Tool.
- GCam Tool To Enable Camera2API | Download
Here are the steps using the tool. Follow the steps carefully.
- You have to enable USB debugging by activating the Developer Mode.
- Go to device Settings > System > About Phone > Build Number
- Tap on Build Number 7 times consecutively. Then it will display DeveloperOption Enabled
- Again go to device Settings > System > Developer Option. Tap on it
- Now scroll down to find USB Debugging option.
- Enable the USB Debugging.
- Now connect your device to the PC using the USB cable.
- Download the Gcam tool zip file from above link and extract it.
- Open the “Mi A1 GCam” folder and run the .exe file.
- You will see some options. Tap on the “Enable HAL3 EIS and install” option to enable Camera2API and EIS on Xiaomi Mi A1.
- Select “Yes/OK” when the Allow USB debugging pop-up appears.
- Now the device will auto reboot and the tool will enable the API.
That’s it. Now you can run the Gcam on your Xiaomi Mi A1. Now let’s move on to the second method.
How to Enable Camera2API By Using Fastboot Method
In this method, you have to temporarily boot device to TWRP recovery mode. Then you have to provide a few command prompt commands in order to enable Camera2API on Xiaomi MiA1.
First, you have to download the TWRP Recovery.
- Latest TWRP Recovery for Xiaomi Mi A1 | Download
Steps To Enable the Camera2API
- Download the latest TWRP recovery to any folder on your PC
- Go to that folder and in the open space, hold Shift + Right Click.
- Click on Select “Open PowerShell window here”.
- Now, switch off your Xiaomi Mi A1 completely.
- Hold the Volume Down + Power button simultaneously to enter Fastboot mode.
- Now Connect your device to the PC using a micro USB cable.
- Now issue the following command prompt to Unlock the bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
- You have to boot your device temporarily to TWRP. Give the following command.
fastboot boot recovery-3.2.1-1
- Here the device will boot at this step.
- After that to detect your device, enter the following command.
- To execute shell, give the following command
- Now to enable Camera2API and EIS on Mi A1, give the following command.
setprop persist .camera.HAL3.enabled 1 setprop persist .camera.EIS.enabled 1
- To Exit the shell and reboot into Fastboot mode issue the following command.
adb reboot bootloader
- In the very final step issue the following command to lock the bootloader and reboot the device.
fastboot oem lock fastboot reboot
So, that’s all you have to do. Now you have successfully enabled the Camera2API on Your xiaomi MiA1.
Follow GetDroidTips for all latest tools, tips, and tutorials for your Android smartphones.