A couple of players have started reporting that the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Warzone titles were down and players are unable to get over it. There were some server issues with the game for sure and affected players are encountering stuck checking for the update server in COD Modern Warfare / Warzone. So, if you’re also getting the same issue then you’re not alone.
Although this isn’t the first time when players are facing issues with the game server or stuck at the game loading screen, it’s quite unexpected to receive errors while checking for updates. It basically freezes the screen and nothing happens at all.
Even resetting the console, relaunching the game, signing back into the profile, etc doesn’t work. Luckily, here we’ve provided a couple of possible workarounds that can fix it.
- Fix Stuck Checking for Update Server in COD Modern Warfare / Warzone
Fix Stuck Checking for Update Server in COD Modern Warfare / Warzone
Although there is no official solution mentioned by the Activision support team yet, we’ve shared a couple of possible workarounds below that should help you out. To be very precise, the actual server-related issues can’t be fixed from your side until developers resolve them technically.
So, if in case, the server downtime or outage is appearing to you at your specific region for the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare or Warzone game then we’ll only ask you to keep waiting for a few hours and check back the game again. Meanwhile, you can also report it to the Activision support team for a faster resolution.
1. Check Game Server Status
It’s highly recommended to check the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare server status from the Activision Online Services webpage. If all the service platforms are active and working properly, you’ll see All Platforms: ONLINE status with the green color.
However, if the status doesn’t show ONLINE for all platforms that means there is some issue with the online services or game server. So, just wait for a couple of hours and check again.
2. Check Your Internet Connection
Checking your internet connection isn’t a bad idea whenever you receive multiple issues with online gaming or streaming content. No matter which connection type you’re using such as wired (ethernet) or wireless, you should always cross-check the internet connection speed & stability by switching to the wired or vice-versa.
3. Disable VPN
If in case, you’re using a VPN service to get access from a specific region or to get a faster speed, we’ll recommend you disabling the VPN service temporarily and check for the issue again.
Alternatively, if you’re not using the VPN service then try using it once to cross-check the Stuck Checking for Update Server in COD Modern Warfare / Warzone issue.
4. Check Your Antivirus Program
Make sure to check your antivirus program irrespective of which one you’re using. The chances are high that maybe your antivirus or firewall program is somehow blocking or preventing the game files to run properly on your computer.
If possible, try either disabling the antivirus program temporarily and check for the issue again or just whitelist the game file completely to allow the permission. The overall steps will be the same for the default Windows Defender Firewall or any other third-party antivirus program.
So, if you’re using the default Windows Defender program then follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Update & Security > From the left pane, click on Windows Security.
- Select Virus & threat protection > Click on Manage settings from the Virus & threat protection option.
- Make sure to temporarily turn off the Real-time protection toggle.
- Finally, you should check if the Stuck Checking for Update Server in COD Modern Warfare / Warzone issue has been resolved or not.
5. Power Cycle Wi-Fi Router
Well, performing a power cycle to your networking device such as a Wi-Fi router may come in handy in some cases. Due to the bad cache data or temporary glitch with your networking system or device, some users may experience internet connectivity or server connectivity-related issues whatsoever. To do so:
- Just turn off your Wi-Fi router first.
- Once all LED indicators turned off, just unplug the power adapter from the router.
- Now, wait for around 30 seconds and plug back the power cable in.
- Finally, power on the router again and check whether the problem has been fixed or not.
6. Repair Game Files
Repairing the installed game files completely using the game launcher is a good idea for those who mostly receive errors or glitches with the online gameplay. Whether you’re getting startup crashes or server connectivity issues with your Call of Duty: Modern Warfare or Warzone game, make sure to scan & repair the game files periodically.
- First of all, open the Battle.net client (Blizzard) on your PC.
- Make sure that you’re logged into your valid Blizzard account.
- Click on Call of Duty: MW from the left pane.
- Next, click on Options and select Scan and Repair.
- Click on Begin Scan.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Finally, reboot the Battle.net client and check if the Stuck Checking for Update Server in COD Modern Warfare / Warzone problem has been resolved or not.
- You can also try rebooting the computer to apply changes.
7. Update Networking Driver
Some of the affected COD: MW players have also mentioned that an outdated or missing networking driver on their Windows system was troubling them a lot. So, if you’re not sure enough whether your networking driver is updated or not, try following the steps below:
- Press Windows + X keys to open up the Quick Start Menu.
- Now, click on Device Manager > Double-click on Network adapters.
- Right-click on the networking device and select Update driver.
- Click on Search automatically for drivers to check for the update.
- If there is an update available, it’ll automatically download & install the update properly.
- Let the process be completed and then reboot your computer to apply changes.
8. Use Google DNS Address
If in case, you’re using the private DNS (Domain Name System) with your internet connection and somehow encountering multiple issues with the game servers or online streaming, then make sure to use the open Google DNS Address on your computer. To do that:
- Click on the networking signal icon on the Taskbar on your Windows.
- Go to Network & internet settings from the bottom of the interface.
- Now, click on Change adapter options > Double-click on the active internet connection.
- Click on Properties > Double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Next, click on Use the following DNS server addresses.
- Input 184.108.40.206 in the Preferred DNS server field and 220.127.116.11 in the Alternate DNS server field.
- Once done, click on OK to apply changes.
- We’ll also recommend you restart your computer to change effects properly.
- Now, click on the Start menu > Type cmd and right-click on Command Prompt > Select Run as administrator > If prompted by UAC, click on Yes to allow admin privilege.
- Then type the following command and hit Enter to clear the DNS cache on your computer:
- Once done, reboot your computer again to apply changes.
9. Clear Battle.net Cache (Blizzard)
If none of the methods worked for you, try clearing the Blizzard launcher cache data from your computer to refresh it.
- Press Windows + R keys to open up the Run dialog box.
- Type the following command and hit Enter to open the Program Data directory:
- Now, right-click on the Battle.net folder and click on Delete.
- Then right-click on the Blizzard Entertainment folder and click on Delete.
- Next, press Windows + R keys again > Type the following command and click on OK:
- Right-click on the Battle.net folder and select Delete.
- Next, press Windows + R keys and type the following command then click on OK:
- Then right-click on Battle.net and click on Delete.
- Similarly, right-click on the Blizzard Entertainment folders and select Delete.
- Finally, restart your Battle.net app and check the Stuck Checking for Update Server Modern Warfare issue again.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. If you’ve any queries, let us know in the comment below.