Due to system internal changes it is not possible to have root access on Google Pixel and Pixel XL devices. Developer Chainfire discovered a method to root Google Pixel and Pixel XL devices (Experimental). Chainfire developed a systemless root method Google Pixel and Pixel XL devices and install SuperSU v2.78 SR2 to root the phone.
Now let us see how to root Google Pixel and Pixel XL devices using Chainfire’s systemless root method. This Chainfire’s systemless rooting method is not easy as rooting Nexus devices due to new partation layout (two systems, two boots, two vendors, etc.), no cache partitions nad no recovery.
By flashing Super SU will not hep to root your Pixel/XL device. Chainfire has provided CF Auto Root packages for Pixel phones with a modified booting method that you should fastboot boot the boot-to-root image to gain root.
Read more about Chainfire Root method at this Google+ post.
Note: Backup your Data before proceeding further.
Unlock Pixel and Pixel XL Bootloader
- Go to Developer settings and Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock options.
- Connect the Pixel / Pixel XL device to PC and give the below commands in CMD one by one.
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flashing unlock
3. Your Pixel Pixel XL phone’s bootloader will be unlocked. Now you are few steps away gain root access on the device.
Warning: This Chainfire method is an experimental method and not yet fully ready to use for all purposes. Rooting your Pixel / pixel XL device should done with extreme care; if not you will end-up with a bricked device. Backup whole data you have on your phone before proceeding with the below steps.
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and / or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
How to Root Pixel and Pixel XL Using System-less Root Method
1. Go to Developer settings and Enable USB Debugging on your Pixel / Pixel XL.
3. Connect your Pixel /Pixel XL to the PC and navigate to folder where you have copied the unzipped root file and open a command window there (Hold Shift + Right-click and select Open command window here).
4. Now give the below commands one by one
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot boot-to-root.img
5. Wait for a few minutes.
6. Your phone will reboot few times during the rooting process.
Once completely booted up, your Pixel or Pixel XL should be rooted.