If you’re using Xiaomi Redmi S2 (Also known as Redmi Y2 in China) handset wants to install any Project Treble supported Custom ROM or any Root file or any mod file on your device, you can try out the OrangeFox Recovery Project. It’s quite similar to the Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) with redesigned UI and additional functionalities. Here in this guide, we will share with you the steps to install the OrangeFox Recovery Project on Redmi S2 (codenamed ysl). The flashing guide is simple and easy to perform. Check out the full article.
OrangeFox is developed by two developers called darthjabba9 and mryacha. The OFRP source code is available on Gitlab for the general public use. It offers so many extra features and advantages than the popular TWRP. Here we will discuss the OFRP and its features.
OrangeFox Recovery Project: Overview
Though the OrangeFox Recovery Project is a Custom Recovery for Android-powered smartphones which is based on the TWRP source code it offers a stable custom recovery with a lot of features. Such as theme, support for MIUI OTA, installing init.d functionality, alternative lock screen, and more. Additionally, the Recovery supports both the Treble and non-Treble ROMs and Built-in support for installing or removing Magisk and SuperSU. While, it brings the Fox theme engine with a set of themes, color scheme, and splash screen. Now, let’s take a look at the OFRP features.
OrangeFox Recovery Project Features
- Supports Treble and non-Treble ROMs
- Up-to-date Oreo kernel, built from sources
- Increased compatibility with TWRP
- Updated with latest TWRP commits
- Built-in support for installing init.d functionality
- Support for installing Magisk built-in
- Built-in support for installing SuperSU (v2.82-201705271822 – non-Treble ROMs only)
- White Flashlight
- Password, torch, led
- Support for MIUI and Custom ROMs
- MIUI OTA support
- Better language support
- Optimized versions of community scripts
- Alternative lock screen
- Fox theme engine:
- Various themes (black, dark, etc)
- Color schemes
- Choice of the splash screen
- And more
Thanks to the MyCats, one of the XDA members for sharing the file and guide for the Xiaomi Redmi S2 model. Now, let’s take a look at Installation steps of Orange Fox Recovery Project on Xiaomi Redmi S2. Make sure to follow the download links and requirements at first before flashing.
Steps to Install OrangeFox Recovery Project on Redmi S2
In order to install the OrangeFox Recovery Project on your Xiaomi Redmi S2 device, you will need to install TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi S2 at first. Follow the pre-requirements and then installation steps.
What’s Not working for Xiaomi Redmi S2
Internal storage is still encrypted unless you have decrypted & inbuilt magisk installation (ysl requires recovery to be patched for Magisk).
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% before flashing any file.
- You will require a PC/Laptop and a USB Cable as well.
- The Recovery file is only for the Xiaomi Redmi S2 handset. Don’t try it on other devices.
- Your device should have unlocked bootloader [Guide to unlock the bootloader on Xiaomi Redmi S2]
- Then you need to install TWRP Recovery on the Xiaomi Redmi S2 device.
- First, copy the downloaded OrangeFox Recovery image to your device storage.
- Connect your device to the PC via a USB Cable.
- Next, switch off your phone and reboot to fastboot mode. [Press and hold Power+Volume Up button together]
- Go to the installed ADB Folder on your C drive.
- Copy the recovery image file on the folder as well.
- Now, press Shift key + right-click in the blank area inside the ADB folder.
- You will see open Command Window here option. Launch it.
- Now, type the following command in the command window and press enter:
- Then you will see a fastboot device number on the screen. Proceed to the next command to install the OrangeFox Recovery: (Filename saved as recovery.img)
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Finally, type another command to reboot into recovery mode:
reboot to recovery
- Your device will now reboot into OrangeFox Recovery mode easily. Enjoy!
That’s it. Now, you’re ready to use the new custom recovery to flash any file or tweaking your device. We hope that you have found this guide helpful. However, if you’re facing any issue regarding this, feel free to write down in the comments below.