This guide outlines the steps to install the Android One Mi A3 Ported ROM on your Xiaomi Mi CC9e. Devices from this Chinese OEM runs on two different types of Android OS. The first is based on its own customized Android skin known as MIUI. Whereas the second one is Google’s own Android One program that offers near about stock Android experience. However, not everyone is a fan of MIUI skin. There could be many reasons for the same. For some, in-device ads are just not acceptable, others don’t like tons of customization that MIUI has to offer. Likewise, there is also much pre-installed bloatware that may irk some of the users.
So if you echo these sentiments and aren’t a fan of this MIUI skin, then you could easily ditch the same and jump over to Google’s own Android One. Mi A3 and Mi CC9e both are devices having the same specifications, except for one glaring difference. Xiaomi’s Mi CC9 is based on MIUI, whereas the Mi A3 runs on Android One OS. So if you are using the former device and wish to try out the clean stock Android OS, then that is very much possible. Today, we will show you how to install the Android One ROM ported from Mi A3 to your Mi CC9 device. Let’s check out the steps.
- Android One Mi A3 Ported ROM on Xiaomi Mi CC9e
- How to Install Android One Mi A3 Ported ROM on Xiaomi Mi CC9e
Android One Mi A3 Ported ROM on Xiaomi Mi CC9e
Ome of the biggest changes to the Android ecosystem happened alongside the launch of Android 8.0. With the said OS launch, Google also bought about Project Treble. Without going into many technicalities, this project makes it easier, faster, and less costly for manufacturers to update devices to a new version of Android. And due to the same, we are also witnessing the possibility of converting Mi9 CC9 to Mi A3 and vice versa.
As a result, you could easily install the Android One Mi A3 ported ROM onto your Xiaomi Mi CC9e with a few tweaks. Interested in knowing how this could be done? First head over to the below prerequisites section and make sure your device qualifies these requirements.
- It is highly recommended to create a backup of your device.
- This tutorial is only for Xiaomi Mi CC9e (Laurus).
- The bootloader of your device should be unlocked.
- The “Find My Phone” function has to be disabled.
How to Install Android One Mi A3 Ported ROM on Xiaomi Mi CC9e
To keep the installation steps simple, we have divided this guide into five separate sections. Make sure to follow all the points exactly as mentioned, in the same order.
Step 1: Install China Developer Edition MIUI
- It doesn’t matter which MIUI version you are currently running, you will have to flash the China Developer Edition MIUI on your device. This is how it could be done:
- Download the China Developer Edition OTA ROM (20.16). Place this zip to the /sdcard/Downloads folder.
- Make sure that you are logged in to your MIUI account. Now head over to Settings and tap on My Device > MIUI version. Now tap on the MIUI logo 5 times and click on the overflow icon situated at the top right.
- Choose Update from local ROM, br0wse to the Downloads folder and select the ROM file. Your device will now be updated to the China Developer Edition MIUI.
Step 2: Flash the TWRP Recovery
Follow the below instructions to install then TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi CC9e
- Download and install the Android SDK and Platform Tools on your PC.
- Next up, download the TWRP Recovery for Mi CC9 and place it inside the platform-tools folder.
- Turn off the device and press and hold the Power+Volume Down key for a few seconds until you see the fastboot logo on the screen.
- Now connect your device to PC via USB cable. Head over to the platform-tools folder and type cmd in the address bar.
- This will open the Command Prompt. Enter the below command to make sure that the device has been successfully booted to fastboot mode:
- Then enter the below command to flash the TWRP recovery to your device:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP_Recovery_for_laurus.img
- Next, hold the Volume Up+Power button together and type the below code to reboot the device to TWRP recovery:
- When the device boots to TWRP, it might be in Chinese. To change the language, tap on the sixth option. This should be Settings. Now tap on the globe icon situated at the top right and select the English language. Finally, tap on Set language situated at bottom right.
- If you see the logo of TWRP recovery twice, not an issue. Just hold the Volume Up button until you see some blocks. Then tap on Clear > Data (Clear Data), type YES in the space provided and perform a rightward swipe to wipe the said partition.
- Type in the below code to reboot your device to recovery:
adb reboot recovery
Now follow the below instructions to flash the Xiaomi.eu ROM
Step 3: Installing the Xiaomi.eu ROM on Mi CC9e
- Make sure that you have downloaded the same version of Xiaomi.eu ROM as the China Developer Edition MIUI ROM that you have flashed just now. On that note, here is the download link for Xiaomi.eu Developer Edition ROM.
- For example, if you have flashed the China Developer Edition MIUI 20.1.16, then you should download the same version of Xiaomi.eu ROM, which could be found here.
- Now transfer the downloaded ROM zip file to your device and boot your device to TWRP Recovery.
- Tap on Install and browse to that Xiaomi.eu ROM file. Perform a rightward swipe to subsequently flash it on your device.
- Don’t reboot your device or power it off at this stage. Keep it as it is right now and follow the instructions given below.
Step 4: Flash the Mi A3 Ported ROM to Mi CC9e
- Download the Payload_Dumper tool to your PC and extract it to any folder.
- Now download the Xiaomi Mi A3 official ROM from the below link. Extract the payload.bin file from this ROM to the payload_input folder of the Payload Dumper tool.
Xiaomi Mi A3 official ROM: Full-OTA Rom Download Link (Global Edition V10.3.13.0) (January 2020 Security Patch)
- Now run the payload_dumper.exe file until the command window automatically closes. Once it does, head over to the payload_output folder and you should now see the system.img file that Dumper Tool has extracted from the stock ROM. Copy this file to your device.
- Boot your device to TWRP Recovery and tap on Clear and slide to clear the Data and Cache partition. Once it does, head over to Install and tap on Image. This will make all the .img files visible on your device.
- Select the system.img and then select the System Image option to flash this file to the system partition. Perform a right swipe to flash it.
- Finally, when the system file is flashed, tap on the Clear button of TWRP Recovery and slide to clear the Data and Cache partition. Now follow the instructions given in the next section.
Step 5: Flash Magisk Zip
In general, flashing a Magisk file is optional, and you only do so if you want to root. However, for the Android One Mi A3 Ported ROM to successfully work on your Xiaomi Mi CC9e, this is a must. Until and unless you flash theMagisk Zip file your device won’t boot.’
- So head over to the Magisk download page and download the Magisk v19.4. Don’t flash Magisk v20.x. If you do so, your device would refuse to boot.
- Transfer this Magisk v19.4 to your device and boot it to TWRP Recovery. Head over to Install, select the said file and perform a rightward swipe to flash it.
- After you have flashed Magisk, you could clear Cache and Dalvik Cache, but don’t clear data partition.
- Finally, head over to Reboot and select System. Enjoy the Android One ROM!
So with this, we conclude the guide on how to install Android One Mi A3 Ported ROM on your Xiaomi Mi CC9e device. Although the steps are somewhat lengthy, yet the end results definitely make up for the efforts. What are your views about the Android One OS running on your Mi CC9e device? Do drop in your views in the comments section below. On the same note, if you are having any queries with respect to any of the above-mentioned steps, do drop them in the comments.