Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 (codename: Chiron) launched in September 2017. The phone came out of the box with Android 7.1 Nougat. Now the device has finally received the official support to receive the Lineage OS 15.1 on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2. In this guide, we will help you to install the latest Lineage OS 15.1 on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2. The ROM is based on Android 8.1 Oreo. Thanks to XDA Recognized developer mikeioannina for sharing this Custom ROM on XDA Forum. Full Credits to him and Lineage OS team.
Talking about the specifications, Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 features a 5.99-inches display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 2160 pixels. It is powered by Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapchiron 835 processor coupled with 6/8GB of RAM. The phone packs 64/128/256GB internal memory. The camera on the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 comes with 12MP and 5MP front shooting camera. It is backed by a Non-removable Li-Ion 3400 mAh battery with Fast battery charging 9V/2A (Quick Charge 3.0). It Also has Fingerprint on the back.
If you would like to try Lineage OS 15.1 on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 device, then you need to unlock Bootloader and should have the latest TWRP Recovery on your device. You should have latest TWRP Recovery running to flash the Oreo-based Custom ROM. We have already shared both unlocking and TWRP installation guide for Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 (Chiron). So before we dive into the installation process, let’s know about the Lineage OS 15.1 and its feature.
What is Lineage OS 15.1 and their feature?
Lineage OS 15.1 is the latest Stock Custom Firmware based on the official Android 8.1 Oreo AOSP source code. Along with the official Android 8.1 features, the Lineage OS 15.1 also brings tons of features and customization option which allows using your phone beyond the Stock Firmware feature. Lineage OS one of the well-known aftermarket firmware built by the team behind cyanogen. In the Android world, Lineage OS is the currently best custom ROM built with many new features. The official Lineage OS 15.1 for Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 scheduled with a weekly and nightly update.
Features of Lineage OS 15.1:
- Extra Ambient display features
- Picture adjustment
- RGB color calibration settings
- Display color temperature customization
- LED Notification light settings (Customize)
- Customize Touchscreen gestures
- Performance profiles to save battery and improve the speed
- Lockscreen Customization option
- FlipFlap – smart cover support
- Privacy Guard—control app permissions
- Customize the size of the lock screen pattern
- Quick Settings Customization
- Status Bar Customization such as Double tap to sleep, Clock Settings, Show network traffic and Status bar tuner
- SystemUI Customization
- Buttons/Navigation Bar
- Calls and Audio/Ringtone customization.
- and other miscellaneous feature.
How to Install Official Lineage OS 15.1 on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2:
If you are installing custom ROM for the first time, then you must first read the difference between Custom ROM and Stock ROM. We understand you would want to make sure your installation process go as smooth as possible. So before we actually jump to the installation process of Lineage OS 15.1 ROM on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, let’s take a look below at how to backup all your data. When installing this 8.1.0 Oreo based custom ROM, you’re wiping all your data and system — like a brand new phone.
As a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 (chiron) user, you have many options to choose from depending on how you want to store your data. These are the some of the tips given below that we want you to keep in mind and then proceed Like we said, this ROM is based on Android 8.1 Oreo. Here is the quick recap of what’s on Android 8.1 Oreo.
What’s on Android 8.1 Oreo?
As you’d expect, Android 8.1 Oreo is the latest update of Android Oreo. It is an incremental update that builds out some of the new features found in the first version of Oreo, but there’s plenty worth checking out. This doesn’t mean Android 8.1 doesn’t include the new feature because it does. Here are all the features of Android Oreo [8.0/8.1]
Features of Android Oreo:
- Notifications Channels (8.0)
- Picture In A Picture (8.0)
- Multi-Display Support (8.0)
- Keyboard Navigation (8.0)
- Background Limits (8.0)
- New Wi-Fi Features (8.0)
- Better Icons (8.0)
- Autofill (8.0)
- Cheeseburger Emoji (8.1)
- Neural Networks API (8.1)
- Pixel Visual Core co-processing technology to third-party developers (8.1)
- and many more
Required ROM Files
Download Any Of the Gapps Below
MindTheGApps 8.1.0 Package – Recommended
- Supported device: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 (chiron)
- Note: Charge your phone up to 80% or 70%.
- USB Drivers: Download Xiaomi USB Drivers on your PC.
- Take A Full BackUP: (You can try any backup method given below)
How to Backup Your Android Phone Without ROOT
How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
Backup Your Android Apps and Data with Titanium Backup
How to Backup Your Android Phone Directly to PC with TWRP!!
How to Backup Your Data on Android device
- Custom Recovery: You should have any Custom Recovery to install this ROM on your phone. Here in this guide, we used TWRP Recovery
- Clear Dalvik Cache: Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before proceeding from the Recovery Mode.
Step to Install on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2:
- First of all, you need to Unlock Bootloader on Mi Mix 2 (chiron)
- Now install TWRP Recovery for Xiaomi Mi Mix 2. Watch Full Video on How to Install TWRP on any Android Phone.
- Download the Lineage OS 15.1 for Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 and move the flashable zip file which you downloaded from above.
- Now boot into TWRP Recovery, Here is the method to boot into Recovery.
- Before installing Wipe System Data on TWRP Recovery (DO NOT WIPE INTERNAL STORAGE)
If you don’t want SuperSU rooting guide, then you can try Magisk on your phone.
That’s it! I hope you have installed the Lineage OS 15.1 on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 successfully. Leave a comment or feedback down below. Thank you!.