In order to install Lineage OS 16 on OnePlus 7 Pro, your device should have Bootloader Unlocked and should be running on the latest TWRP Recovery. Thanks to one of the XDA Members PeterCxy for sharing the firmware file and installation steps. Follow our guide on how to upgrade, but before that. Let’s take a look at the features of Android 9.0 Pie and Lineage OS 16.
Lineage OS 16 (9.0 Pie)
Lineage OS 16 is the latest Custom Firmware based on Android 9 Pie AOSP which is one of the major and most stable versions by Google yet. It brings plenty of features and customization options which allows users to be more advanced. While the Stock ROM doesn’t provide you that much of customization options. LineageOS is the part of CyanogenOS which was popular and widely used by the users. The CyanogenOS developers working hard to provide better user experience with possible latest versions.
The new Android Pie brings some of the feature changes to the successor Android Oreo. The top features of Android 9 Pie are Gesture Navigation, New QS UI, New volume slider, Advanced Battery & Brightness, Notch Support, Digital Wellbeing, New Recent UI, and more.
- Device Model: OnePlus 7 Pro (Codenamed: guacamole)
- ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
- ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
- Firmware: LineageOS 16
- Status: Official
What’s Working and What’s not working:
- All basic features such as Phone, Bluetooth, NFC, Camera, VoLTE, etc.
- Fingerprint Scanner (works but with a few minor issues that don’t affect using it)
- Front pop-up camera motor
- Ambient Light sensor (sort of, read below for information)
- 90hz screen (with some bugs mentioned below)
- Fingerprint scanning has issues with blank screen some times
- Short blink while booting the device
- No full 48MP camera usage
- Importing keys to TEE does not work. Don’t even try it, you may lose access to your data.
- SELinux is permissive.
Steps to Install Lineage OS 16 on OnePlus 7 Pro
Lineage OS 16 is the latest Custom Firmware based on the official Android 9.0 Pie AOSP source code. It brings all the official Android 9.0 features with customization options. LineageOS is one of the well-known aftermarket firmware built by the team behind Cyanogen. It offers frequent software updates as well and offers the most stable experience than other custom ROMs.
- The ROM file is supported only for OnePlus 7 Pro (Unofficial). Don’t try it on other devices.
- Keep your device charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- You need to enable the Developer options and USB debugging on your device.
- Device bootloader must be unlocked.
- Take a complete backup of your device data at first before doing anything.
- Create a Nandroid backup using TWRP Recovery.
- Download and install the latest OnePlus USB Drivers on your PC.
- Once you have unlocked your device from above, you must install the latest TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 7 Pro.
- Next, boot into the TWRP Recovery menu via Fastboot method.
- In the TWRP menu, Advanced tab > wipe data completely.
- Go to Install option and select the downloaded firmware zip file. Swipe to confirm Flash.
- Go to Reboot > Bootloader.
- Again, boot into the TWRP and Install Open GApps file.
- you can also install the SuperSU/Magisk for root access. (Optional)
- Reboot the system and wait for 10-15 minutes approx to boot into a new system.
That’s it. We assume that you have successfully installed the Lineage OS 16 on OnePlus 7 Pro handset easily. You can ask your queries or share your experience in the comments below.