Xiaomi Mi Note 3 (codename: jason) launched in September 2017. The phone came out of the box with Android 7.0 Nougat. In this tutorial, we will show you how to download and install Lineage OS 18.1 on Xiaomi Mi Note 3 (jason) device. The Google-owned OS is open source in nature. This allows the userbase to try out tons of customizations and modifications onto your devices. For the starters, they could install themes, icon packs, and launchers from the Play Store. But this is just the beginning. There are a plethora of other tweaks that you could try out on your device.
All that is required is an unlocked bootloader, and then you could easily set your feet in the custom development. From installing a custom recovery like TWRP to gaining root access via Magisk, the possibilities are endless. Along the same lines, you could also try out a customized Android OS in the form of custom ROMs. And in this guide, we will be discussing just that. Today, we will show you the steps to install Lineage OS 18.1 onto your Xiaomi Mi Note 3 (jason) device.
Xiaomi Mi Note 3 features a 5.5 inches IPS LCD display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels. The display is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 4. The device is powered by Qualcomm SDM660 Snapdragon 660 (14 nm) processor under Adreno 512 GPU. The handset packs 64/128GB variant with 6GB of RAM. Xiaomi Mi Note 3 sports a Dual rear camera with 12MP + 12MP camera and Single Selfie camera with 16MP depth camera. The smartphone is running on Android 7.1 Nougat under MIUI software package and backed by 3500 mAh battery. It has a fingerprint reader on the front.
Lineage OS 18.1 with Android 11 Features
Among all the custom ROMs available for our device, Lineage has been among the oldest player. In its early days, it was known as CyanogenMod and now this ‘lineage’ seems to have been rightly carried forward. Based on the Android Open Source Project, you will be able to welcome a few handy customization options to your device. The ROM isn’t known to offer a plethora of features, rather it maintains an equilibrium with the stability front.
As far as the latest LineageOS 18.1 is concerned, it is based on the latest Android 11 that has just been released. This in turn translates to the user getting blessed with some noteworthy features. These include a separate Conversation section, OneTime Permissions, and the new Notification History. Likewise, there has been the introduction of Chat Bubbles and a native Screen Recorder. The Media Player has now also been moved to the Quick Settings with some handy Media Controls options.
Refer to our detailed instructions on how to install lineage OS 18.1 onto Xiaomi Mi Note 3.
How to Install LineageOS 18.1 on Xiaomi Mi Note 3
Before we list the instructions, there are a few points worth discussing. We would like to state that the ROM is an unofficial build and in the alpha stage. So you could face a few stability issues as well as bugs. On that note, here are all the working features and the bugs present in this ROM:
Not Known – We haven’t tested yet
- Download And Install AOSP Android 11 for Xiaomi Mi Note 3
- Xiaomi Mi Note 3 Stock Firmware Collections [Back to Stock ROM/Bootloop]
- Download and Install Lineage OS 17.1 on Xiaomi Mi Note 3 (Android 10 Q)
- How to Install Official TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi Note 3 and Root it
- List of Best Custom ROM for Xiaomi Mi Note 3 [Updated]
- Common Xiaomi Mi Note 3 Problems and Fixes: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Charging, Battery and more
So if you are ready to install LineageOS 18.1 onto your Xiaomi Mi Note 3 (jason) device, then here is all the required information. Let’s start with the requirements set.
- First and foremost, create a complete device backup. This is because we will be wiping the data partition which will format your device.
- Next up, you will need to unlock the bootloader on your device. If you haven’t done so, then refer to our guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Mi Note 3.
- Once that is done, you also need to have the TWRP Recovery installed. You could refer to our guide on How to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi Note 3.
- Also, enable USB Debugging on your device so that it gets recognized by your PC in the ADB Mode. For that, head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Next, up, download and install the Android SDK Platform Tool on your PC. This will provide you with the necessary binary files.
- Also, download and install the Xiaomi USB Drivers onto your PC.
- Finally, download the Lineage OS 18.1 on Xiaomi Mi Note 3: Download Link
- If you want Google Apps as well, then download the Android 11 GApps file
That’s it. You may now proceed with the installation steps.
Instructions to Install Lineage OS 18.1 on Xiaomi Mi Note 3
- Transfer the downloaded ROM and the GApps file to the Internal Storage of your device.
- Now connect it to the PC via USB Cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Head over to the platform-tools folder on your PC, type in CMD in the address, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt window.
- Execute the below command in the CMD window to boot your device to TWRP Recovery
adb reboot recovery
- Now that your device is booted to TWRP, head over to the Wipe section and tap on Advanced Wipe.
- Then, select the System, Vendor, Data, and the Cache partition and perform a right swipe to format the selected partitions.
- After this, go to the Install section of TWRP. Navigate to the downloaded LineageOS 18.1 ZIP file, select it and perform a right swipe to install it.
- The process might take a few minutes. When the flashing is complete, go back to the Install section and this time select the GApps package. Perform a right swipe to install this file as well.
- Likewise, you should also wipe the cache partition. You could either use the Wipe Cache button that would be available after flashing GApps. If not, then head over to Wipe, select the Cache partition and perform a right swipe to wipe it.
- You may now reboot your device to the newly installed OS. For that, head over to Reboot and select System.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to install Lineage OS 18.1 on Xiaomi Mi Note 3 (jason) device. Do let us know your views about this ROM in the comments section below. Furthermore, you could also drop in your queries in the comments. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that deserve your attention as well.