Here we will guide you on how to download and install Android 9.0 Pie on Moto G6 (Ali). This ROM is based on Android 9.0 Pie GSI with Treble Enabled. GSI stands for a Generic System image. The moniker “Generic” implies that such software images could be installed on any Treble-enabled device, irrespective of the manufacturer they belong to. We already shared the complete list of devices supported for Android Pie 9.0 Generic System image (GSI).
Motorola Moto G6 is a dual SIM and budget smartphone that is available since April 2018. This device flaunts a 5.70-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080 X 2160 pixels. It runs Android 8.0 Oreo out-of-the-box. This handset from Motorola runs on an octa-core 1.8 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 processor. Also, this has a 4 GB of RAM in the set-up. This phone has 64 GB of expandable internal storage. In the camera section, the Moto G6 brings a dual camera of 12 MP +5MP. An 8 MP selfie shooter teams-up on the front side.
Now we have a good news for Moto G6 users. You can now download and install the Android Pie 9.0 GSI on Moto G6. Full Credits to the XDA Recognized Developer phhusson who is the great man behind the work of Project Treble GSI build. Recently, The ROM development community has completely boosted Custom ROM development with the help of Project treble. We’ve seen the Lineage OS, Resurrection Remix, Mokee OS, Pixel Experience has made their way to support most of the budget device based on Kirin, Exynos, Lineage, and other obscure brands.
To install Android 9.0 Pie on Moto G6, your device should have Bootloader Unlocked and should be running on latest TWRP Recovery. If you have all this, then you are good to try the new Android 9.0 Pie on your device. Follow our guide on how to upgrade, but before that. Let’s understand the features of Android 9.0 Pie.
What’s on Android 9.0 Pie?
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th iteration and a major update of Google’s Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. Other features of Android 9 Pie are New Quick Settings UI design, Redesigned volume slider, Advanced Battery with AI Support, Notch Support, Improved Adaptive Brightness, Manual theme selection, Android Dashboard which Google calls Digital Wellbeing, and more other features.
[su_youtube_advanced url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HSqeuLK4G0″ controls=”alt” rel=”no”]
Features of Android 9.0 Pie:
- Indoor navigation with Wi-Fi RTT
- Gesture Navigation
- App Timer
- Wind Down
- Notch support
- App Actions and Slices
- Lockdown mode
- Zoom in text
- Smarter Notification Channels
- Improvement in messaging apps
- An easier way to take screenshots and edit them
- Auto-Rotate Button
- Dark theme
- Increased security
- Default HTTPS for apps
- Pair up to 5 Bluetooth devices
- Alert tone to notify call recordings
- Media Panel UI change
- Support for HEIF image and HDR VP9 video format
- Autofill in browsers
- 157 new emojis
- Ambient Display for Battery Percentage
- Adaptive Battery
- Adaptive Brightness
- ART improvements
Guide to Install Android 9.0 Pie on Moto G6
If you are looking to install the latest version of Android OS on your device, then please follow this guide below to enjoy Android 9.0 Pie update for Moto G6.
Make sure you have Unlocked Bootloader and installed TWRP Recovery on Moto G6.
[su_note note_color=”#fee9e9″ text_color=”#000000″]Warning: We are not responsible if you brick your device. Do it at your own risk.[/su_note]
- Supported on Moto G6
- Charge your phone up to 50% or more.
- Take a complete backup of your phone data [Follow any method]
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Without ROOT
- How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
- Backup Your Android Apps and Data with Titanium Backup
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Directly to PC with TWRP!!
- How to Backup Your Data on Android device
- If you already have TWRP: then you can Create and Restore Nandroid Backup via TWRP
- Do a full data wipe in the stock recovery (this is mandatory, the twrp wipe will not work)
- You need to unlock the bootloader on Moto G6.
- Install the latest TWRP recovery on Moto G6.
Required ROM and Gapps Package:
- Download and Flash Latest TWRP Recovery 3.2.1-1 or higher
- Download GSI Treble Firmware Files Here: Download – Download ARM64
[su_note note_color=”#fefef3″ text_color=”#000000″]You will want just the GAPPS version to download and install AOSP Android Pie. Vanilla is basically plain w/o GAPPS, and FLOSS is with Open Source alternatives to the GAPPS.[/su_note]
Method 1: Instructions via TWRP:
To flash the Android 9.0 Pie on Moto G6, you need the latest TWRP Recovery 3.2.1-1 or higher. If you already have, then make sure to download the above-given links.
- First of all, make sure to download and move all the above required ROM packages on your Moto G6 Internal storage.
- You can now extract the GSI and vendor+boot zips [Complete Guide on How to extract any Zip file on Android devices.]
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP Recovery and Swipe Allow Modifications (Appears for the first time only)
- Once you are in TWRP Recovery, first of all. Take a complete backup of stock or custom ROM using TWRP.
- Now wipe the cache, data, and system before flashing the Android Pie 9.0 on Moto G6.
- To Wipe data: Go to Wipe —> Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache, System, Vendor, and Data and then swipe to wipe. [su_note note_color=”#fef0ef” text_color=”#000000″]Warning: Make sure not to select Internal storage[/su_note]
- Now you can install the System image file in TWRP: Install -> Install Image -> select system.img
- That’s it! Reboot and enjoy!
Method 2: Instructions via ADB:
To flash the Android 9.0 Pie onMoto G6, you need to download adb fastboot tool. If you already have, then make sure to download the above-given links.
- First of all, make sure to download and move all the above required ROM packages on your Allview V3 Viper Internal storage.
- Download and Extract the ADB Fastboot tool zip file.
- Now extract the downloaded ROM package to the fastboot folder.
- You need to open the command window on the same extracted folder by holding the Shift Key and Right Mouse click
- Now on your Moto G6, Go to Settings and Reset your phone.
- Once your device has been factory reset, reboot to your device’s bootloader using either a button combination or you can use the below ADB command by connecting your Phone to PC.
adb reboot bootloader
- Enter the following command
fastboot erase system
- To flash, you can now enter a command in the following format:
fastboot -u flash system name_of_system.img
- Allow the image to flash, it could take a few minutes. Once it has completed, reboot your device either manually via power key or by entering the command below.
- That’s it! You have successfully flashed the Android 9.0 Pie on your Moto G6.
I hope this guide was helpful to install the Android 9.0 Pie on Moto G6 based on Project Treble GSI images.