Updated on July 21, 2020: Good news for Nokia 8.1 users, as the OEM has now started rolling out the July 2020 security update for the device. Notably, the update is currently live for users in Egypt. But we expect it to make its way to other regions soon. It is a purely incremental update and does not tag along with anything extra with it.
— hotlain (@MohaHotlain) July 20, 2020
Updated on June 18, 2020: As per user reports, Nokia 8.1 is now receiving the latest June 2020 security patchset. The update is currently live for the users in Poland and soon will be made available for other regions as well. The patch is surely incremental in nature and just bumps the security patch level to June 2020. It weighs in around 32.06 MB in size.
Updated on May 20, 2020: As speedy as it can get, the May 2020 security update is now rolling out for the Nokia 8.1 smartphone. Well, indeed, Nokia has been one of those brands that are quick to push the updates to its devices pretty early. And in line with this, a new security update is now live for the Nokia 8.1 users. The update arrives with a size of 34.06 MB.
Updated on April 22, 2020: Today Nokia rolled April 2020 security patch for the Nokia 8.1 device which brings improved system stability and regular bug fixes. It is now rolling via OTA (over the air) for users with 32.10MB in size. You can download and install the update manually by following our guide.
Updated on March 31, 2020: Today Nokia 8.1 received a March security patch with a size of 401MB with no major changes except security patch, improved system stability, and UI enhancements. The update is labeled with software version V4.30B based on Android 10. There is no official download link to manually install it on your device. You have to wait for the OTA update to hit your device on its own.
Here is the screenshot shared by a Twitter user regarding the update.
— nithish_Kumar (@nithish_kumar8) March 30, 2020
Updated on March 04, 2020: HMD Global started rolling February 2020 Security patch update to the Nokia 8.1. Currently, as we speak, this update is rolling over the air for (OTA) users in China. The update brings nothing new except security patch and bug fixes.
Here is the screenshot shared by a Chinese user in Reddit regarding the update.
Do you use a Nokia 8.1.? Then this post is for you. Often you may be confused about getting software updates for your device. Nokia being a provider of near-stock Android experience, its devices get software updates every month. It may happen that you may have missed out on the latest update. So, we have prepared this Nokia 8.1 Software Update Tracker for you. It is like a repository of all the software updates available at one point. Currently, Nokia 8.1 is receiving the October 2019 security patch with build V4.15C based on Android 9.0 Pie.
Nokia 8.1 released in December 2018. It is based on Android One running Android 9.0 Pie and it brings near-stock Android experience to the device. This device comes with an IPS LCD display of 6.1-inches with a pixel resolution of 1080 x 2280. It runs on Qualcomm Snapdragon 710 chipset. Nokia 8.1 is available in 4 and 6 GB of RAM with options for 64 and 128 GB of inbuilt storage respectively. The device storage is expandable with the use of a microSD card up to 400 GB.
The camera section of the Nokia 8.1 packs a dual sensor of 12 MP + 13 MP along with a 20-MP of selfie shooter. A Non-removable Li-ion 3500 mAh battery powers up the device. The Nokia 8.1 sensors such as rear-fingerprint display, accelerometer, proximity sensor, and gyroscope.
Nokia 8.1 Software Update Tracker
Downloading the software update is very easy. OTA updates usually hit the device automatically. However, due to various factors like geographical location and telecarrier, some users do not receive the update right away as it rolls from the server-side. So, they can search for the update manually on your Nokia 8.1.
To do it, go to Settings > About phone > System updates > Check for update.
Here is the list of the Nokia 8.1 Software Update Tracker and Timeline including release date, software version, Android version, and changelog type provided below. We will update this table frequently as per the availability fo software updates for the Nokia 8.1.
|Software Version||Changelog Typ|
|V4.30C||April 2020 Security Patch|
|V4.30B||March 2020 Security Patch|
|–||February 2020 security patch|
|–||December 2019 security patch|
|V4.15D||November 2019 security patch|
|V4.15C||October 2019 security patch|
|0.4.15C||September 2019 security patch|
How to Install the OTA.?
- The OTA file we provided in this guide is exclusively for the Nokia 8.1.
- After downloading the OTA zip rename it to any easy name with .zip extension.
- Make sure that USB Debugging is enabled on your Nokia 8.1.
- Download and install the latest Nokia USB Drivers.
- Charge your device up to 50% or more before starting the installation
- A PC
- Take a complete backup of your device data.
- Install ADB and Fastboot on your PC as it is a must to install the new update on your device.
- Download the OTA zip and move it to the same folder on your PC where you have installed the ADB.
- Inside the same folder Right Click + hit Shift Key > Open PowerShell Window here.
- Now, switch off your device and connect it to the PC.
- Tap Power Button +Volume Up button to enter the stock recovery mode.
- On the recovery screen, you will see many options. Use the Volume Up/Down button to scroll through them.
- Highlight on Apply Update from ADB. Use the Power button to select it.
- In the command prompt give the following command.
- Now to flash the OTA, give the following command in the ABD.
./adb sideload OTA.zip
- Now, the installation will take some time to complete
- After you are down with installation, you will be back to the stock recovery screen. Tap on Reboot System Now.
That’s all you need to do to install the software update on your Nokia 8.1. Stay tuned with the Nokia 8.1 Software Update Tracker to get all the software updates at your disposal.