In this tutorial, we will show you how to install the OmniROM on Moto G Power, Moto G Stylus/G Pro, and Moto G Fast. All these devices from Motorola have been quite popular in the budget segment. These devices have incorporated some pretty decent specs and features. You might have already tried out some icon packs, launchers, and different font styles. But these are just the beginning. Thanks to the open-source nature of Android, there are a plethora of things that you could try out.
All that is needed is an unlocked bootloader. Once you have achieved that, you could then install various types of mods, gain administrative privileges via root, and even try out a customized build of the Android OS aka custom ROM. In this guide, we will help you to install one of the most popular custom ROM onto your Motorola devices. This tutorial will list out the steps to install the OmniROM on Moto G Power, Moto G Stylus/G Pro, and Moto G Fast. Follow along for the detailed instructions.
What is OmniROM
OmniROM is among the most famous custom ROMs that made its way over to the custom development way back in 2013. Since then, it has managed to set it a stronghold in the custom ROM market. It has always focused on providing a plethora of customization options, but at the same time, it has given equal weightage to the ROM’s stability. Talking about the former, there is a dedicated section named Omni Gears.
It gives you the opportunity to tweak various device aspects like Buttons, Lock Screen, Ambient Display. Dialer, Fingerprint, and many more. As of now, it has further expanded its list and added a couple of Motorola devices to its domain. Here are some of the screenshots of this ROM that should give you a perfect idea regarding its offering and feature list and the overall UI. After this, you could proceed with the instructions to install the OmniROM on Moto G Power, Moto G Stylus/G Pro, and Moto G Fast.
How to Install OmniROM on Moto G Power, G Stylus/G Pro, and G Fast
Before we list out the instructions, go through the below requirements section, and grab hold of the required files. Once you have downloaded the files, you may proceed with the installation steps.
- Create a backup of the entire device.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. This is needed to execute the ADB Commands. To enable it, head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable the USB Debugging Toggle.
- Next up, download and install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This will provide the necessary ADB and Fastboot files.
- Also make sure that the device is sufficiently charged, at least 50% is recommended.
No data with carriers using the Verizon network.
Download OmniROM for Moto G Power, Stylus, Pro, and Fast
- ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
- Status: Beta
- Beta Release Date: 2020-08-02
- Download: Omni ROM Credits: XDA Recognized Developer vache.
GApps is included, you don’t need to download it as a standalone package). So these were all the requirements that we have listed. You may now begin with the steps to install the OmniROM on Moto G Power, Moto G Stylus/G Pro, and Moto G Fast.
STEP 1: Unlock Bootloader
To begin with, you will also have to unlock the bootloader on your Motorola device. Do keep in mind that this might void the warranty on your device and will wipe off all the data as well. With that said, if you are ready to proceed ahead, then head over to our detailed guide on How To Unlock Bootloader On Any Moto Smartphone.
STEP 2: Reboot to FastbootD Mode
We will now have to reboot the device to the FastbootD mode (this is different from the regular Fastboot mode). To do so, here are the required steps:
- Connect your device to PC via USB Cable. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
- Then head over to the platform-tools folder, type in CMD in the address bar, and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Execute the below command to boot your device to FastbootD mode:
adb reboot fastboot
- If the above command didn’t work out, you should execute the below-mentioned one:
fastboot reboot fastboot
With this, you have successfully booted your device to FastbootD mode. You could now install the OmniROM on Moto G Power, Moto G Stylus/G Pro, and Moto G Fast devices
STEP 3: Install OmniROM on your Moto Device
- Head over to the platform-tools folder on your PC.
- Now extract and transfer all the four ROM files, i.e. boot, product, system, and vbmeta IMG files to the platform-tools folder.
- Inside the same folder, type in CMD in the address bar and hit Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Execute the below command to flash the boot.img file:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Then type in the following command to flash the system.img file:
fastboot flash system system.img
- Likewise, enter the below command to flash the product.img file:
fastboot flash product product.img
- Next up, type in the following command to flash the vbmeta.img file:
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Now you will have to wipe all the data from your device if you are coming from another ROM (or stock ROM). However, if you are updating from an earlier version of Omni ROM, you don’t need the below command:
- When that is done, you could reboot your device using the below command:
That’s it. Your device will now reboot to the newly installed OS. The first boot might take up some time, this is completely normal. Furthermore, you will have to set up your device from scratch as the data wipe has taken place. Another pretty important point worth mentioning is that you will only have to wipe all the data only when coming from a stock ROM. If you want to update the OmniROM, (i.e. coming from an earlier build of OmniROM), then the device reset is not required.
Hence, in that case, you shouldn’t enter the fastboot -w command. Rather after flashing the four files (boot, system, product, and vbmeta), you could directly reboot your device to the OS. On that note, we conclude the guide on how to install the OmniROM on Moto G Power, Moto G Stylus/G Pro, and Moto G Fast. If you have any queries, do let us know in the comments section below. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.