A new software update is now rolling out for Moto Z3 Play which brings the January 2019 security patch to the device. It is currently rolling over-the-air and will knock into the devices with the build number OPWS28.70-56-8. From what it looks, it’s a regular maintenance update and brings no other important add-ons. The said update is based on Android 8.1 Oreo. You can avail the update now via OTA but it may take some time as OTA rollouts are more of the phased process. Ahead in this post, we have discussed installing OTAs by both automatic and manual ways.
How to Download January Patch OTA on Moto Z3 Play
OTA updates roll in automatically and you will get notified when it arrives in your region. In case due to some kind delay due to tele-carrier, users sometimes don’t receive the OTA on their devices, even after weeks pass by after its release.vprompt on their phones. In that case, this is what you’ve to do.
- Go to your device home screen, > tap Settings icon.
- In their tap on the Software update, > tap on System updates.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the update.
- Your phone will automatically restart once the new software successfully installs.
This OTA update may weigh around in several hundred MBs. So, we will suggest download this update is by connecting to a good Wi-Fi network so as it saves your tele-carrier data charges. Also, make sure to charge the battery of your device up to 50% or more before installing the new update.
Alternatively, you can upgrade your Moto Z3 Play to the latest January 2019 patch is by the manual flashing of the firmware. The firmware is based on the build number OPWS28.70-56-8. We have put up the download link below. Use the installation guide to install the firmware.
Details of Firmware:
- Supported device: Moto Z3 Play
- Codename: Beckham
- Region: Global
- Release date: February 2019
- Android version: 8.1 Oreo
- Security patch level (SPL): January 1, 2019
- Build number: OPWS28.70-56-8
- File size: 2.2 GB
OPWS28.70-56-8: Firmware Download
We have put up the link of the OPWS28.70-56-8 firmware zip file below. Grab it from there.
Manually Install New Firmware on Moto Z3 Play
Get the full firmware zip file for Moto Z3 Play from the download section above. which comes with the January 2019 update. After that check out the tutorial on how to flash the firmware on your Moto Z3 Play manually.
- This firmware in this guide is only for Motorola Moto Z3 Play (Beckham) users.
- Take a full backup of your phone and then go on with installing the firmware.
- Download and Install Motorola USB Drivers
- Download ADB and Fastboot tools.
- Follow the tutorial and install 3rd party firmware at your own risk. GetDroidTips will not be responsible for faulty installations and bricked devices.
Here is the tutorial guide which will help you flash the new firmware on Moto Z3 Play.
Security patches are the most important aspects of the device. So, make sure to install the January patch update on your Moto Z3 Play via automatic OTA. Otherwise, follow our guide and flash it manually to upgrade instantly.