In this tutorial, we will show you how to play Fortnite on a Chromebook. Running the Linux-based Chrome OS, it is entirely based on Google apps, services, and frameworks. Offering a plethora of goodies, there are quite a few reasons as to why it has become among the most popular gadget. For example, you could install and run your favorite Windows 10 apps, and try out your preferred Android apps and games right from the Play Store. Although Fortnite is no longer available on the Play Store, yet you could still sideload and try it from the Epic Store. However, the mileage might not be on the greater side.
In this regard, many users prefer the Nvidia GeForce Now route. This application has just landed on the Chromebook and streamlines the entire process. In this tutorial, we will be sharing both the methods with you. The First method will be making use of Nvidia’s cloud-gaming platform and the next one will use the Sideload functionality. So making use of that, we would show you how to play the Fortnite game on a Chromebook. Follow along for the complete instruction set.
Table of Contents
- 1 METHOD 1: Play Fortnite on a Chromebook via GeForce Now
- 2 METHOD 2: Sideload Fortnite on Chromebook
METHOD 1: Play Fortnite on a Chromebook via GeForce Now
The below instructions will be broken down into two separate sections. The first one will show you how to set up the GeForce Now while the next method will help you in installing the Fortnite on your Chromebook.
STEP 1: Set Up Nvidia GeForce Now
- Head over to the GeForce Now page and click on Login. If it is showing that the service isn’t currently available for your region, you should consider using a VPN.
- Click on the Join Now button and it will then show you the plans to choose from.
- The Free plan offers one hour of streaming. If that is fine with you, well and good, otherwise, you should consider spending some bucks and buy the Founder ($4.99) pack.
- Click on the Join button underneath your preferred plan and proceed with the on-screen instructions,
- Once that is done, log-in to your newly created Nvidia account using your credentials and that’s it. You may now download and play the Fortnite game using the below-mentioned steps.
STEP 2: Download and Install Fortnite on Chromebook
- Head over to the Epic Games Store and perform a sign in if you have already played the game before. If this is your first time, then click on the Sign Now button.
- Now search for the Fortnite game from the Epic Store and hit the Get button.
- Now again go back to the GeForce Now page and search for Fortnite. Add this game to your Library and when that is done, hit the Play Button.
- You will now be given a rig, then click on the green Continue button situated at the bottom right.
- The Epic Games Sign In page will now appear. Log in with the same credentials that you had used at the Epic Games Store.
- That’s it. The game will now launch and if you have used an earlier ID, then all your progress will be carried over to this device as well.
So these were the steps to download and play Fortnite on your Chromebook. Some might consider this method to be asking for a lot of effort. If you echo this thought as well, then there is another method through which you could achieve the aforementioned objective. Although the gameplay mileage might vary, you will get the game installed on your Chroemboom nevertheless. Here is what needs to be done in this regard.
METHOD 2: Sideload Fortnite on Chromebook
You could easily install tons of apps and games right from the Play Store on your Chromebook. However, due to some patchy relations between the game developers and Google/Apple Store, Fortnite isn’t available on both these stores. Even then, there exists a pretty nifty workaround through which you could sideload the app onto your setup.
The process will be similar to how we sideload an APK on Android. For that, you will have to enable the Developer Mode on your Chromebook. This process wipes all the data on your device, hence please take a backup before proceeding ahead. Once the backup is done, proceed with the steps to enable the Developer Mode.
STEP 1: Enable Developer Mode
- Turn off your Chromebook.
- When that is done, press and hold the “Esc” and “Refresh” keys together and while pressing the, press the Power button.
- You might get a Message that Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Well its nothing to worry about, simply hit the Ctrl + D shortcut and press the Enter key.
- Your Chromebook will now restart and boot to the Developer Mode.
You will now have to enable Unknown Source before you could download and play the Fortnite game on your Chromebook. Here is how this could be done:
STEP 2: Enable Unknown Sources
- Head over to the Settings menu and go to Google Play Store.
- Click on Manage Android Preferences.followed by Security.
- Finally, enable the Unknown Sources toggle.
- That’s it. You may now proceed to download and play Fortnite on your Chromebook.
STEP 3: Install Fortnite on Chromebook
- Go to the Fortnite page from your Android device and download the game’s APK file.
- Now connect your device to PC and transfer the EpicGamesApp.apk file to your Chromebook.
- Finally, open the APK and proceed with the on-screen instructions to install the APK file.
- Once the file has been installed, launch it and enjoy the newly installed Fortnite on your Chromebook.
So these were the required steps to download, install, and play the Fortnite game on your Chromebook. We have shared two different methods for the same. Do let us know which method you ultimately end up choosing. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Trick that you should check out as well.