Asus Rog Phone 2 (Codename: I001D) in July 2019. The phone came out of the box with Android 9.0 Pie. If you’re a Custom ROM lover and want to flash a Custom Firmware on your Asus Rog Phone 2 (Codenamed: I001D), then this guide is for you. Now, you can download and install POSP ROM on Asus Rog Phone 2 based on Android 10 Q from here. We have also shared the firmware details, download links, requirements, and a full installation guide as well.
Thanks to the Team of Potato Project for developing this ROM compatible with Asus Rog Phone 2 . According to the XDA member, this POSP ROM for Asus Rog Phone 2 is an initial Android 10 Q build. In order to install the Custom ROM on your Android handset, the device bootloader must be unlocked at first and should have installed the latest TWRP Recovery as well.
The ROG Phone II comes with a 6.59-inches Full-HD+ AMOLED display along with 1080×2340 pixels resolution. It has a 120Hz screen refresh rate, 1ms response time, and supports 10-bit HDR content as well. It’s powered by an octa-core 2.9GHz Snapdragon 855 Plus SoC, coupled with up to 12GB of LPDDR4X RAM. While the handset features 128GB/512GB UFS 3.0 onboard storage options. The ROG Phone 2 features a 48MP primary camera with a secondary 13MP wide-angle sensor which offers a 125-degrees field-of-view. The rear camera setup also offers an LED flash, HDR, PDAF, Panorama, etc. While the front sports a 24MP selfie camera with AI modes like Portrait, AI Scene Detection, etc. It runs on ROG UI based on Android 9.0 Pie out-of-the-box which can be replaced with Stock like Android UI. It features the dual front-facing stereo speakers with DTS: X Ultra support.
Now, let’s take a look at the overview of POSP (Potato Open Sauce Project) along with its features.
What is the POSP (Potato Open Sauce Project)?
Potato Open Sauce Project (POSP) is a buttery-smooth Android custom firmware (aftermarket) that is basically based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project). The POSP developers have handpicked the best features around the Android OS and have added their own sauce to it. In a simple way, this ROM aims to deliver some unique features to experience a better Android taste.
What’s on Android 10?
Android 10 is the latest and 10th generation of Android OS which was announced by Google a couple of months ago officially. The new Android version brings new system UI, new gestures, improved privacy & location control, system-wide dark mode, improved lock screen, enhanced app permissions, etc. It also features the foldable display support, security enhancements, focus mode, family link, live caption, and more.
The Android 10 (aka Android Q) also features built-in call screening, multi-camera API support, smart reply, chat bubble, 5G support, improved battery life, 65 new emojis, direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices, etc.
- How to Install Lineage OS 17.1 for Asus Rog Phone 2 based on Android 10 Q
- How to Install TWRP Recovery on Asus ROG Phone 2 and root it easily
- List of Best Custom ROM for Asus Rog Phone 2 [Updated]
- Download and install AOSP Android 10 Q for Asus ROG Phone 2
- Common Asus Rog Phone 2 Problems and Fixes – Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Camera, SIM, and More
- ASUS ROG Phone 2 Stock Firmware Collection [Back to Stock ROM/Flash File]
Steps to Install POSP ROM on Asus Rog Phone 2 (I001D)
Follow this guide to download all the required files, tools, and drivers along with requirements to get things ready before flashing the firmware.
- Supported: For the Asus Rog Phone 2 model only (I001D).
- Charging: Maintain the battery charge more than 60% at least.
- Requires: A Windows PC/Laptop and a USB cable.
- USB Drivers: Download the latest Asus USB Drivers on your PC.
- Unlock Bootloader: You will need to Unlock Bootloader on Asus Rog Phone 2 .
- TWRP Recovery: Install TWRP Recovery on your Asus Rog Phone 2 .
- Backup using TWRP: Create and Restore Nandroid Backup using TWRP.
Instructions to Install
- First, you have to boot into TWRP Recovery interface.
- Then Decrypt and Re-Encrypt Data Partition on Asus Rog Phone 2 (if required).
- Make sure to take a complete backup of your ROM and internal data via TWRP Recovery.
- Next, you will need to Wipe System Data using TWRP Recovery.
- Once done, tap on the Install button and search for the downloaded POSP ROM zip file. [Guide to install Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery]
- Swipe to confirm flashing the firmware.
- Wait for a few minutes to complete the flashing process.
- Then you will need to flash the Android 10 GApps file from the TWRP main menu > go to Install > select downloaded GApps zip file and swipe to flash.
- After flashing both the firmware and Gapps package, you can reboot your Asus Rog Phone 2 to the system.
- It will take some time to boot for the first time after installing a Custom Firmware on your device. Have some patience.
- Now, your device will boot into a new system. Enjoy!
- Additionally, you can install root on your Asus Rog Phone 2 via SuperSU or via Magisk as well if you want.
We hope that this guide is useful to you and you’ve successfully installed the POSP Custom ROM (Android 10) on your Asus Rog Phone 2 (I001D) device. For any queries, let us know in the comments below.