Asus ZenFone 5Z (Codename: Z01R) in February 2018. The phone came out of the box with Android 8.0 Oreo and later upgrade to Android 9.0 Pie. If you’re a Custom ROM lover and want to flash a Custom Firmware on your Asus ZenFone 5Z (Codenamed: Z01R), then this guide is for you. Now, you can download and install POSP ROM on Asus ZenFone 5Z based on Android 10 Q from here. We have also shared the firmware details, download links, requirements, and a full installation guide as well.
Thanks to the Team of Potato Project for developing this ROM compatible with Asus ZenFone 5Z. According to the XDA member, this POSP ROM for Asus ZenFone 5Z is an initial Android 10 Q build. In order to install the Custom ROM on your Android handset, the device bootloader must be unlocked at first and should have installed the latest TWRP Recovery as well.
The handset flaunts a 6.20-inch display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 2246 pixels. Zenfone 5Z sports an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor along with 4GB of RAM. The phone packs 64GB of expandable internal storage. As far as the cameras are concerned, the Asus Zenfone 5Z brings a 12-MP primary camera on the rear and an 8-MP front shooter for selfies. This device runs on Android 8.0 Oreo and gets its power from a 3300mAh battery.
Now, let’s take a look at the overview of POSP (Potato Open Sauce Project) along with its features.
Table of Contents
What is the POSP (Potato Open Sauce Project)?
Potato Open Sauce Project (POSP) is a buttery-smooth Android custom firmware (aftermarket) that is basically based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project). The POSP developers have handpicked the best features around the Android OS and have added their own sauce to it. In a simple way, this ROM aims to deliver some unique features to experience a better Android taste.
What’s on Android 10?
Android 10 is the latest and 10th generation of Android OS which was announced by Google a couple of months ago officially. The new Android version brings new system UI, new gestures, improved privacy & location control, system-wide dark mode, improved lock screen, enhanced app permissions, etc. It also features the foldable display support, security enhancements, focus mode, family link, live caption, and more.
The Android 10 (aka Android Q) also features built-in call screening, multi-camera API support, smart reply, chat bubble, 5G support, improved battery life, 65 new emojis, direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices, etc.
- How to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on Asus Zenfone 5Z
- Common Asus Zenfone 5z Problems and Fixes – Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Camera, SIM, and More
- Asus ZenFone 5Z Stock Firmware Collections [Back To Stock ROM]
- Download and Install AOSP Android 10 Q for Asus ZenFone 5Z
- List of Best Custom ROM for Asus Zenfone 5Z [Updated]
- Download and Install Lineage OS 17.1 for Asus Zenfone 5Z based on Android 10 Q
Steps to Install POSP ROM on Asus ZenFone 5Z (Z01R)
Follow this guide to download all the required files, tools, and drivers along with requirements to get things ready before flashing the firmware.
- Supported: For the Asus ZenFone 5Z model only (Z01R).
- Charging: Maintain the battery charge more than 60% at least.
- Requires: A Windows PC/Laptop and a USB cable.
- USB Drivers: Download the latest Asus USB Drivers on your PC.
- Unlock Bootloader: You will need to Unlock Bootloader on Asus ZenFone 5Z.
- TWRP Recovery: Install TWRP Recovery on your Asus ZenFone 5Z.
- Backup using TWRP: Create and Restore Nandroid Backup using TWRP.
Instructions to Install
- First, you have to boot into TWRP Recovery interface.
- Then Decrypt and Re-Encrypt Data Partition on Asus ZenFone 5Z (if required).
- Make sure to take a complete backup of your ROM and internal data via TWRP Recovery.
- Next, you will need to Wipe System Data using TWRP Recovery.
- Once done, tap on the Install button and search for the downloaded POSP ROM zip file. [Guide to install Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery]
- Swipe to confirm flashing the firmware.
- Wait for a few minutes to complete the flashing process.
- Then you will need to flash the Android 10 GApps file from the TWRP main menu > go to Install > select downloaded GApps zip file and swipe to flash.
- After flashing both the firmware and Gapps package, you can reboot your Asus ZenFone 5Z to the system.
- It will take some time to boot for the first time after installing a Custom Firmware on your device. Have some patience.
- Now, your device will boot into a new system. Enjoy!
- Additionally, you can install root on your Asus ZenFone 5Z via SuperSU or via Magisk as well if you want.
We hope that this guide is useful to you and you’ve successfully installed the POSP Custom ROM (Android 10) on your Asus ZenFone 5Z (Z01R) device. For any queries, let us know in the comments below.