Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro (Codename: Whyred) in February 2018 with Android 7.1.2 Nougat out of the box and later upgraded to Android 9.0 Pie. If you’re a Custom ROM lover and want to flash a Custom Firmware on your Redmi Note 5 Pro (Codenamed: Whyred), then this guide is for you. Now, you can download and install POSP ROM on Redmi Note 5 Pro based on Android 11 R from here. We have also shared the firmware details, download links, requirements, and a full installation guide as well.
Thanks to the Team of Potato Project for developing this ROM compatible with Redmi Note 5 Pro. In order to install the Custom ROM on your Android handset, the device bootloader must be unlocked at first and should have installed the latest TWRP Recovery as well.
Talking about the specifications, Redmi Note 5 Pro features a 5.99-inches display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 2160 pixels. It is powered by Qualcomm SDM636 Snapdragon 636 processor coupled with 4/6GB of RAM. The phone packs 64GB internal memory. The camera on the Redmi Note 5 Pro comes with 12+5MP and 20MP front shooting camera. It is backed by a Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery with Fast battery charging (Quick Charge 2.0). It also has a fingerprint sensor on the back.
Now, let’s take a look at the overview of POSP (Potato Open Sauce Project) along with its features.
What is the POSP (Potato Open Sauce Project)?
Potato Open Sauce Project (POSP) is a buttery-smooth Android custom firmware (aftermarket) that is basically based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project). The POSP developers have handpicked the best features around the Android OS and have added their own sauce to it. In a simple way, this ROM aims to deliver some unique features to experience a better Android taste.
Android 11 and It’s Features:
Well, Android 11, Google’s 11th iteration looks similar to Android 10 but with a handful of new features and changes. The update brings notification history, Chat bubbles, Conversation notifications, screen recorder, new media controls, smart device controls, one-time permission, improved dark theme with the scheduling system, app suggestions, wireless android auto, and many more. For more, check out our article Android 11 supported list, Android 11 Custom ROM list, best Android 11 features, and many more.
- How To Root and Install TWRP Recovery On Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Common Redmi Note 5 pro Problems and Fixes – Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Camera, SIM, and More
- Download And Install AOSP Android 11 for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Lineage OS 18.1 for Redmi Note 5 Pro (Download and Install)
- List of Best Custom ROM for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro [Updated]
Steps to Install POSP ROM on Redmi Note 5 Pro (Whyred)
Follow this guide to download all the required files, tools, and drivers along with requirements to get things ready before flashing the firmware.
- Supported: For the Redmi Note 5 Pro model only (Whyred).
- Charging: Maintain the battery charge more than 60% at least.
- Requires: A Windows PC/Laptop and a USB cable.
- USB Drivers: Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on your PC.
- Unlock Bootloader: You will need to Unlock Bootloader on Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- TWRP Recovery: Install TWRP Recovery on your Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- Backup using TWRP: Create and Restore Nandroid Backup using TWRP.
Instructions to Install
- First, you have to boot into TWRP Recovery interface.
- Then Decrypt and Re-Encrypt Data Partition on Redmi Note 5 Pro (if required).
- Make sure to take a complete backup of your ROM and internal data via TWRP Recovery.
- Next, you will need to Wipe System Data using TWRP Recovery.
- Once done, tap on the Install button and search for the downloaded POSP ROM zip file. [Guide to install Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery]
- Swipe to confirm flashing the firmware.
- Wait for a few minutes to complete the flashing process.
- Then you will need to flash the Android 11 GApps file from the TWRP main menu > go to Install > select downloaded GApps zip file and swipe to flash.
- After flashing both the firmware and Gapps package, you can reboot your Redmi Note 5 Pro to the system.
- It will take some time to boot for the first time after installing a Custom Firmware on your device. Have some patience.
- Now, your device will boot into a new system. Enjoy!
- Additionally, you can install root on your Redmi Note 5 Pro via SuperSU or via Magisk as well if you want.
We hope that this guide is useful to you and you’ve successfully installed the POSP Custom ROM (Android 11 R) on your Redmi Note 5 Pro (Whyred) device. For any queries, let us know in the comments below.