Xiaomi Redmi 7 (Codename: onclite) in March 2019. The phone came out of the box with Android 9.0 Pie. If you’re a Custom ROM lover and want to flash a Custom Firmware on your Xiaomi Redmi 7 (Codenamed: onclite), then this guide is for you. Now, you can download and install POSP ROM on Xiaomi Redmi 7 based on Android 10 Q from here. We have also shared the firmware details, download links, requirements, and a full installation guide as well.
Thanks to the Team of Potato Project for developing this ROM compatible with Xiaomi Redmi 7 and an XDA member malvigagan for sharing this firmware details and download link. According to the XDA member, this POSP ROM for Xiaomi Redmi 7 is an initial Android 10 Q build. In order to install the Custom ROM on your Android handset, the device bootloader must be unlocked at first and should have installed the latest TWRP Recovery as well.
The dual Nano-SIM supported Redmi 7A sports a 5.45-inch IPS LCD HD display with a resolution of 720×1440 pixels. It’s powered by octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 439 mobile platform coupled with Adreno 505 GPU. Redmi 7A offers 2GB/3GB of RAM and the 16GB/32GB of onboard storage variant. The storage can be expandable up to 256GB via a MicroSD card. It features a single 5MP selfie camera with AI modes on the front side and a rear 13MP single camera on the backside with an LED flash as well.
Now, let’s take a look at the overview of POSP (Potato Open Sauce Project) along with its features.
Table of Contents
What is the POSP (Potato Open Sauce Project)?
Potato Open Sauce Project (POSP) is a buttery-smooth Android custom firmware (aftermarket) that is basically based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project). The POSP developers have handpicked the best features around the Android OS and have added their own sauce to it. In a simple way, this ROM aims to deliver some unique features to experience a better Android taste.
What’s on Android 10?
Android 10 is the latest and 10th generation of Android OS which was announced by Google a couple of months ago officially. The new Android version brings new system UI, new gestures, improved privacy & location control, system-wide dark mode, improved lock screen, enhanced app permissions, etc. It also features the foldable display support, security enhancements, focus mode, family link, live caption, and more.
The Android 10 (aka Android Q) also features built-in call screening, multi-camera API support, smart reply, chat bubble, 5G support, improved battery life, 65 new emojis, direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices, etc.
- Download and Install AOSP Android 10 Q for Xiaomi Redmi 7
- How To Install TWRP Recovery On Redmi 7 and Root with Magisk/SU
- Common Xiaomi Redmi 7 Problems and Fixes – Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Camera, SIM, and More
- Xiaomi Redmi 7 and 7A Stock Firmware Collections [Back To Stock ROM]
- List of Best Custom ROM for Xiaomi Redmi 7 [Updated]
- Download and Install Lineage OS 17.1 for Xiaomi Redmi 7 based on Android 10 Q
Steps to Install POSP ROM on Xiaomi Redmi 7 (onclite)
Follow this guide to download all the required files, tools, and drivers along with requirements to get things ready before flashing the firmware.
- Supported: For the Xiaomi Redmi 7 model only (onclite).
- Charging: Maintain the battery charge more than 60% at least.
- Requires: A Windows PC/Laptop and a USB cable.
- USB Drivers: Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on your PC.
- Unlock Bootloader: You will need to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Redmi 7.
- TWRP Recovery: Install TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi 7.
- Backup using TWRP: Create and Restore Nandroid Backup using TWRP.
Instructions to Install
- First, you have to boot into TWRP Recovery interface.
- Then Decrypt and Re-Encrypt Data Partition on Xiaomi Redmi 7 (if required).
- Make sure to take a complete backup of your ROM and internal data via TWRP Recovery.
- Next, you will need to Wipe System Data using TWRP Recovery.
- Once done, tap on the Install button and search for the downloaded POSP ROM zip file. [Guide to install Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery]
- Swipe to confirm flashing the firmware.
- Wait for a few minutes to complete the flashing process.
- Then you will need to flash the Android 10 GApps file from the TWRP main menu > go to Install > select downloaded GApps zip file and swipe to flash.
- After flashing both the firmware and Gapps package, you can reboot your Xiaomi Redmi 7 to the system.
- It will take some time to boot for the first time after installing a Custom Firmware on your device. Have some patience.
- Now, your device will boot into a new system. Enjoy!
- Additionally, you can install root on your Xiaomi Redmi 7 via SuperSU or via Magisk as well if you want.
Do you want to go back to the Xiaomi Redmi 7 Stock ROM? Check this guide: Unbrick or restore back to stock ROM on Xiaomi Redmi 7 using Fastboot image
We hope that this guide is useful to you and you’ve successfully installed the POSP Custom ROM (Android 10) on your Xiaomi Redmi 7 (onclite) device. For any queries, let us know in the comments below.