In this tutorial, we will list out the steps to install the POSP 4.0 Android 11 based Custom ROM onto your Xiaomi Mi 5 (codename gemini) device. The latest Android 11 stable build has just made its way to the general public. Xiaomi has already upgraded the Mi 5 to 2 major upgrades and we can’t expect them to roll out the official Android 11 update. But if you are ready to step into custom development, then you could cut this waiting time right away.
We had recently covered the AOSP and Lineage OS 18 based on Android 11 for some devices. Now, there is another Android 11 based custom ROM available for the Xiaomi Mi 5 as well. Going by the name of Potato Open Sauce Project, you will be able to welcome all the new goodies that the latest Android OS has to offer. In this guide, we will be listing the detailed flashing steps, the feature set of this ROM, as well as the bugs that you are likely to encounter after installing the POSP 4.0 on Xiaomi Mi 5 (gemini). Follow along for the complete instructions.
Table of Contents
What is POSP Custom ROM
Potato Open Sauce Project, or more popularly known as POSP, is the customized Android firmware. Talking about the feature list, you are likely to get all the latest and greatest Android 11 features. These include the new conversation section in the Notification panel. Likewise, there will also be new One-Time permission and the ability to get Notification History. The Media Player has now also been moved to the Quick Settings.
The Power menu has also undergone a major revamp with a couple of new features. These include the addition of Virtual Payments Cards via Google Pay and the options to control your smart home appliances. Along the same lines, you could now schedule dark mode, copy text from the Recents menu and directly share screenshots upon capturing. Given here are the instructions to install POSP 4.0 Android 11 based Custom ROM onto Xiaomi Mi 5 (gemini).
How to Install POSP 4.0 on Xiaomi Mi 5
Before you proceed with the flashing instructions, there are a few prerequisites that your device needs to qualify.
- First and foremost, create a complete device backup. This is because we will have to wipe off the data partition which in turn will format your device.
- The bootloader on your device needs to be unlocked as well. If that is not the case, then refer to our detailed guide on How to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Mi 5.
- To flash custom ROM, you need to install the TWRP Recovery on the Mi 5 device
- Enable USB debugging on your device so that your device gets recognized by your PC in the ADB mode. So So head over to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times > Go back to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Next up, download and install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC.
- Likewise, install the Xiaomi USB Drivers as well.
- Also make sure that your device is sufficiently charged, at least 50% is recommended.
- Camera (and flashlight)
- Telephony (Calls and Data)
- Audio (Record and Playback)
- Video Playback
- HW crypto (FBE)
– It’s BETA something has to be broken So test and tell
- Finally, download the POSP 4.0 Android 11 Custom ROM for your Xiaomi Mi 5 (gemini): Download Link. Credit for this ROM goes to XDA Senior Member raj_jdja.
- To get Google Apps, Services, and Framework, you will have to download Android 11 GApps as well
That’s all the files that you will be needing. You may now proceed with the steps to install POSP 4.0 Android 11 Custom ROM on your Xiaomi Mi 5.
Boot your device into TWRP Recovery and follow these steps.
Instructions to Install
It’s now time to flash the POSP 4.0 Android 11 Custom ROM onto your Xiaomi Mi 5 device. Boot your device into TWRP Recovery and follow the below steps for that:
- Head over to the Install menu and navigate to the downloaded ROM ZIP file. Select it and perform a right swipe to flash it.
- Then go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe and select Data and Cache. Perform a right swipe to wipe the selected partitions.
- Go back to the TWRP Install menu, select the TWRP ZIP file, and perform a right swipe to flash it.
- When that is done, head to the Reboot menu and select Recovery.
- Once your device reboots to TWRP, it’s time to flash the GApps package. So go to Install > Select the GApps ZIP file and perform a right swipe to install it.
- Finally, you may now reboot your device to the OS. For that, go to Reboot and select the System.
Your device will now boot up to the newly installed ROM. The first boot might take up some time, this is completely normal. Furthermore, you will have to set up your device using your Google ID. Once that is done, you may now enjoy the POSP 4.0 Android 11 Custom ROM on your Xiaomi Mi 5. If you have any queries regarding the aforementioned steps, do let us know in the comments section. Rounding off, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC tips and tricks, and Android Tips and Tricks that you should check out as well.