Chinese smartphone manufacturer, Xiaomi recently revealed the latest smartphone in China and India, the Xiaomi Mi A3. The device packs some great features and specs and is available at a price that is quite low in terms of the specs that it offers. For instance, you get the triple-camera set-up at the back, and an under-display fingerprint scanner as well. However, if you are a power user of Android and want to customize the smartphone according to you, then you will be benefitted from this guide. As in this post, we will guide you on how to unlock the root Xiaomi Mi A3 using Magisk patched boot image.
If you know about rooting and unlocking the bootloader then you should know that the first thing that we do is to unlock the bootloader of your device. Then you can go ahead and install the Magisk manager on your device to flash the patched boot image and root your Xiaomi Mi A3 smartphone. In this post, on how to root the Xiaomi Mi A3, we will give you the links to all the downloads required for the successful rooting of the device as well. So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself;
Specifications Overview of Xiaomi Mi A3
The Xiaomi Mi A3 is recently launched in India which is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 665, 11nm processor which is paired with either 4GB/6GB of RAM. The device has the Adreno 610 GPU for powerful gaming performance. Moreover, you also get battery capacity of 4030 mAh that also has the support of Fast charging 18W with Quick charge 3. In the display department, the device sports a 6.01- inch Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 720×1560 pixels with 286 PPI density. The Xiaomi Mi A3 comes with two storage options of 64GB and 128GB along with a dedicated microSD card slot to expand the storage up to 256GB.
The device runs on the latest Android 9 Pie and will be among the first devices to receive the Android 10 as it is based on the Android One program. The main USP of the Xiaomi Mi A3 lies in the triple-camera setup at the back that houses the latest Sony 48MP (f/1.8) lens, an 8MP ultrawide sensor, and a 2MP depth sensor. In the front, the device sports a 32MP (f/2.0) single shooter for selfies. Besides, you also get an under-display fingerprint scanner as well.
How to root Xiaomi Mi A3 using Magisk Patched boot image
Now, before we go straight ahead with rooting the Xiaomi Mi A3 smartphone, let us go through the basics of what is rooting and what are the advantages as well as the disadvantages of rooting a smartphone. Moreover, this will be useful for users who are rooting their device for the first time as they should know what they will be doing and the outcome of it.
What is Rooting?
Rooting is a procedure of unlocking the true potential of the smartphone. This operation gives the user the administrative or developer privileges to modify the system settings of the device. With the help of this, you can go ahead and install any limitation that your OEM has set for the device or your carrier if you bought your device from one like Verizon, AT&T, etc. Moreover, you can also install various mod applications, restricted apps, and other specialized apps on your device that requires some special system permissions. Besides, installing these apps from third-party developers are not always dangerous and will improve the features of your smartphone.
However, every OEM keeps the bootloader locked so that user by mistake or by will, do not alter the system files and cause damage to the smartphone. But, there are methods and procedure like this guide, that allows the user to take control of their device fully in a safe way, and unlock the true potential of their smartphone.
- Install any custom ROM like Lineage OS
- Remove pre-installed bloatware
- Block ads on any apps
- Change the skin or other aesthetics of the Android
- Improve the speed and battery life of the device
- Make complete and full backups of the device
- Install latest updates and also install beta-updates
- Install mod applications, restricted apps
- Rooting can cause permanent damage to your device
- You can get your device stuck in a boot loop and never get out of it
- Moreover, you will no longer receive the official OTA updates from your smartphone manufacturer
- You need a Windows desktop/laptop.
- Make sure to charge your device to at least 50% or more.
- Take a complete backup of your data.
- A USB cable.
- This method is only for the Xiaomi Mi A3 smartphone and should not be used for other smartphones.
- ADB and Fastboot Tools
- Xiaomi Mi A3 USB Drivers
- Magisk Patched Boot Image
(Note that the boot image file above is for the MIUI v10.3.5.0. You should download the patched boot image for the compatible version of the MIUI running on your device)
- Latest Magisk Manager
Steps to Unlock the Bootloader of Xiaomi Mi A3
We have already covered the topic on how to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Mi A3 which you can check out by clicking the button below;How To Unlock the Bootloader of Xiaomi Mi A3
Steps To Root Xiaomi Mi A3
- Make sure that you have followed our above guide on how to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Mi A3. You need to have an unlocked bootloader to root your Xiaomi Mi A3 device.
- First of all, you need to enable the Developer Options on your Xiaomi Mi A3.
- Go to Settings>>About Phone>>tap on the Build Number 7 times till you see a toast message “You are now a developer”.
- Under the Developer Options, you need to enable USB Debugging option as well.
- To do that again head to the Settings>>Developer Options>>enable USB Debugging.
- Connect your Xiaomi Mi A3 to the PC via a USB cable.
- Now, download and copy the boot.img file to your phone internal or external memory.
- Download the ADB and Fastboot tools and extract the contents of it.
- Place one copy of the boot.img file into the same folder where you have extracted the contents of the ADB and Fastboot tools.
- Now, download the latest version of the Magisk Manager on your device from the download section above.
- Then, open the Magisk Manager application and patch the file.
- To patch the file, go to Install>>again Install>>select Patch a file>>browser the location where you copied the boot.img file on your smartphone.
- Once you have selected the boot.img, the Magisk Manager will now patch the boot image file.
- This patched boot image file will be stored in the internal memory/Download/magisk_patched.img.
- Now, move the patched file from your mobile to PC into the same folder of the ADB and Fastboot folder.
- You can pull the file using the below-mentioned code;
adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img
- Now, uninstall the Magisk Manager application from your Xiaomi Mi A3.
- Then, you need to connect the device to the PC via USB cable.
- Execute the following command;
adb reboot bootloader
- Type the below command to flash the patched boot image file;
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
- Now, type the below command instead of reboot;
- Once the installation is completed, install the Magisk Manager.
- That’s It! You can now enjoy root access on your Xiaomi Mi A3 smartphone.
You can now and go ahead and enjoy the administrative privileges on your Xiaomi Mi A3 and install various special apps, mod apps or restricted applications on your device.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. Hope you liked this post and were successful in rooting the Xioami Mi A3 using the guide above. Note that this method is only for the Xiaomi Mi A3 smartphone and should not be used for any other smartphone. Let us know in the comments below if you faced any issues while following any of the above-mentioned steps or you come across any link failures. Until the next post…Cheers!