Updated on August 12, 2020: Xiaomi started rolling the August 2020 security patch update to Mi A3 smartphone globally. The update is labeled with software version V184.108.40.206.QFQMIXM which bumps from 220.127.116.11.
Updated on July 23, 2020: Xiaomi Mi A3 is the third-gen Mi A-series device that was launched in July 2019 with a budget segment specifications along with Android 9.0 Pie over Android One UI. This year the handset also received the official stable Android 10 update as promised. Android One devices get two major Android OS updates and three years of security patch updates. Currently, the company has released the latest July 2020 Security Patch for Mi A3 that bumps up a software version V18.104.22.168.QFQMIXM based on Android 10. All the interested users can now download and flash the firmware manually by following this guide.
The Mi A3 (Codename: laurel_sprout) is getting the latest security patchset via OTA in a phased manner and it may take a couple of days to arrive on all the units completely. The firmware update will be released to the public after a successful preview of the Beta Stable ROM. It will be rolled out with or without the changelog that weighs around 226MB in size and offers increased system stability along with the reduced system lag. You can check out the update changelog below.
Table of Contents
Check OTA Updates
Xiaomi always pushes the firmware OTA update in an incremental manner and mostly take some time to arrive on all the units completely. However, it may also happen that you won’t receive any OTA update notification on time. So, if you don’t want to wait further, you can just go to the phone Settings > System > System Update. If there is a new update available, simply download and install it.
Make sure that your handset is connected to a Wi-Fi network or mobile data and charged more than 50% minimum. Additionally, you can also take a full backup of your device for safety reasons. So, if anything goes wrong, you can get back all your saved data.
- Device Name: Xiaomi Mi A3 (laurel_sprout)
- Region: Global Stable
- Build Number: V22.214.171.124.QFQMIXM
- Android OS Version: Android 10
- Software Supported: Mi Flash Tool
- Android Security Patch Level: 2020-08-01
Downloads and Changelog:
Steps to Install July 2020 Security Patch for Xiaomi Mi A3
Before going to the installation steps, you have to follow all the requirements at first. Make sure to download the required firmware file, drivers, tools, etc.
- The firmware and guide are only supported for the Xiaomi Mi A3 handset.
- Charge your device battery at least 50% to reduce occasional shutdown.
- You will need a Laptop or PC and a USB cable as well.
- Xiaomi Mi A3 Bootloader should be unlocked.
- The Mi A3 should run on the latest stock ROM version.
- We recommend you take a full backup fo your device data. (Take a Nandroid Backup)
- Install the latest Mi A3 USB drivers on your PC.
- Download ADB and fastboot tools on your computer and install it.
Instructions to Install:
There are three different installation methods available for the Xiaomi Mi A3 handset which you can follow. We have provided both the installation methods such as the TWRP method, the Fastboot method, and the ADB Sideloading method. You can follow any of the methods and download the firmware accordingly.
Installing the TWRP Flashable Zip
- We assume that you have properly followed the pre-requirements and unlocked the Mi A3 bootloader already. If not, do this first. Then follow the next steps.
- Next, you have to install TWRP recovery on the Mi A3. Required for the first installation method only.
- Download and copy the flashable ROM file (zip) into your device storage.
- Now, enter Mi A3 into Recovery Mode.
- After booting into the TWRP menu, tap on the Install button.
- Browse for the ROM zip file and select it.
- Swipe to confirm flash.
- After flashing completed, select Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache as well.
- Finally, restart the phone and wait for it. Your device will boot into a new system.
Install Via Fastboot Method
- First of all, you have to download the Fastboot ROM zip file.
- Next, extract the file with a .bat extension file from the ROM zip file.
- You will need ADB and fastboot tool for this process. Make sure to install it from the pre-requirements section.
- Now, enter the Mi A3 device into Fastboot mode by press and hold the Power + Volume Down buttons together for a few seconds.
- Connect the device to the PC/Laptop via a USB cable.
- Now, select the Fastboot ROM file with .bat extension and flash it.
There is a third alternative method to install the software update on the Xiaomi Mi A3 device. We have shared the ADB Sideloading method to install the firmware easily.
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you’ve successfully installed or updated the latest Security patch for the Xiaomi Mi A3 device. For any queries, let us know in the comments below.