Xiaomi Mi 5s (codename: capricorn) launched in September 2016. The phone came out of the box with Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later upgraded to Android 7.0 Nougat. If you are waiting for Official Android 9.0 Pie Update for Xiaomi Mi 5s? Then your wait will be eternal. Currently, this device has stopped receiving the new OS update. If you want to try custom ROM based on Android 9.0 Pie AOSP? then you are in the right place.
Google finally released the 9th iteration of Android OS called Android 9.0 Pie. The update has rolled for Pixel supported devices and few other OEM supported with Android Beta. After putting Android users through four beta updates of Android P, Google has named Android 9.0 as Android Pie. It is expected that in the coming months all the devices that had been signed up for the Android P beta program including the OnePlus 6, Oppo R15 Pro, Vivo X21 and more will receive the Android P update first.
When will Xiaomi release Android 9.0 Pie Update for Xiaomi Mi 5s?
Xiaomi Mi 5s (codename: capricorn) came out of the box with Android 5.0.2 Lollipop and later upgraded to Android 7.0 Nougat. There is no confirmation whether Xiaomi will roll Android Pie update to this device. This device has already received two major OS upgrade. You can check out the List of Android 9 Pie Xiaomi Supported Devices.
But you can install the Android 9.0 Pie Custom ROM based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) on Xiaomi Mi 5s.
- How to Install Lineage OS 15.1 for Xiaomi Mi 5s (Android 8.1 Oreo)
- How to Install Android 8.1 Oreo on Xiaomi Mi 5s
- Root And Install TWRP Recovery On Xiaomi Mi 5s (Unofficial and Official)
- Xiaomi Mi 5s Official Android 8.0 Oreo Update
- List of Best Custom ROM for Xiaomi Mi 5s [Updated]
What's on Android 9.0 Pie?
Android 9.0 Pie is the 9th iteration and a major update of Google's Android OS. The new Android Pie brings a couple of design changes to the successor Android Oreo but the most notable one is the gesture-based navigation system. Other features of Android 9 Pie are New Quick Settings UI design, Redesigned volume slider, Advanced Battery with AI Support, Notch Support, Improved Adaptive Brightness, Manual theme selection, Android Dashboard which Google calls Digital Wellbeing, and more other features.
Check out the Top 10 Features of Android 9.0 Pie Update
Want to try Android 9.0 Pie Update for Xiaomi Mi 5s (capricorn)?
If you want to enjoy Android 9.0 Pie features, then follow the below guide.
Make sure you have Unlocked Bootloader and installed TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 5s (capricorn).
- Supported on Xiaomi Mi 5s
- Charge your phone up to 50% or more.
- Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers
- Take a complete backup of your phone data [Follow any method]
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Without ROOT
- How to Backup Complete Stock or Custom ROM using TWRP recovery
- Backup Your Android Apps and Data with Titanium Backup
- How to Backup Your Android Phone Directly to PC with TWRP!!
- How to Backup Your Data on Android device
- If you already have TWRP: then you can Create and Restore Nandroid Backup via TWRP
- Do a full data wipe in the stock recovery (this is mandatory, twrp wipe will not work)
- First of all, unlock bootloader on Xiaomi Mi 5s.
- Install the latest TWRP recovery on Xiaomi Mi 5s.
- Download Android 9.0 Pie: Here. [Thanks to the XDA member mesziman]
- Download Android 9.0 Pie Gapps Package
Instructions to Install on Xiaomi Mi 5s:
- Move the download AOSP Android 9.0 Pie and Android Pie Gapps to internal storage [root folder]
- Now boot your device into TWRP Recovery.
- Before installing Wipe System Data on TWRP Recovery (DO NOT WIPE INTERNAL STORAGE)
- Now follow the guide on how to flash custom ROM using TWRP Recovery
- reboot to system, then again recovery and then you can follow the same guide to flash the Gapps file on your phone.
- That's it! You can reboot your device to enjoy AOSP Android 9.0 Pie Update on Xiaomi Mi 5s.
Root Android 9.0 Pie on Xiaomi Mi 5s:
We are not responsible if the rooting procedure didn't work on your phone.
Download and Install SuperSU root on your phone.
If you don't want SuperSU rooting guide, then you can try Magisk on your phone.
Hope this guide was helpful to install AOSP Android 9.0 Pie Update for Xiaomi Mi 5s.