In today’s article, we’ll discuss and go through the best alternatives of Notepad applications in 2021 and replace Notepad in Windows 10. The alternative of the Notepad application space has expanded pretty rapidly this year. With the evolution of the internet and rapid changes around the way we take notes, things are changing pretty fast. So hereafter research and review, we gathered a list of the best-recommended ones for you guys. However, there’s no particular order to this one, but let’s dive into it and find which one is perfect for you as per your need.
Notepad Alternatives | How to Replace Notepad in Windows
There are many alternatives available in the market, but we are talking about only those that I find perfect in this ever-changing world. So, without moving things around, let’s check out the list of Notepad alternatives. Before we start, keep in mind that we have adopted these according to their ease to use compared to Notepad. However, there is no match to Notepad, still used as an alternative to this. So, in this list, the first application that manages to get a place is Notepad ++. So, let’s talk about this.
Replace Notepad with Notepad ++
Well, this is the best option for you guys. Yes, I will explain to you the methods to replace the Notepad with Notepad ++. However, if you want to replace this with any third-party text editor tool, you can follow the same method.
#1. Using Notepad ++’s New Command Line
We always recommend you to go with this method as it doesn’t require any third-party program or script. Here are the steps to replace your Notepad with Notepad ++:
- First of all, you need to open the elevated or admin command prompt.
- The next step you need to follow is to copy the command mentioned below, paste it into the command prompt, and hit the enter key.
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\notepad.exe" /v "Debugger" /t REG_SZ /d "\"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Notepad++\notepad++.exe\" -notepadStyleCmdline -z" /f
However, you may need to use the “%programfiles%\Notepad++\” rather than using the “%programfiles (×86)%\Notepad++\” in case you have installed the 64-bit version of Notepad++ on your PC, else you can follow the same path as mentioned.
Note: If you don’t prefer the command-line method, then you can also modify the registry mentioned above value with the help of Registry Editor.
- Now, simply close the command prompt screen. That’s it. You have now successfully replaced the Notepad with Notepad ++. Now, whenever you open the Notepad, it will open the Notepad ++.
However, in any instance, if you don’t want to use Notepad++, you can revert back your action anytime by just following the same procedure, but this time you need to use this command.
reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\notepad.exe" /v "Debugger" /f
#2. Use NotepadReplacer Program
- The foremost step is to download the NotepadReplacer application. Click here to download it.
- Once you’ve successfully downloaded it, simply run the program.
- Then, select the browse option and choose the Notepad++ alternative of Notepad.
- Now, click on the Next button followed by install.
- Wait for the process to be finished and then, it automatically redirecting to NotepadReplacer.exe that starts the Notepad++.
#3. Use a Custom VBScript
- Initially, you need to open your Notepad application on your Windows 10 PC. Then, copy and paste the following text mentioned below:
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") If wscript.arguments.count <2 then WshShell.run "notepad++.exe" Else sCmd = "notepad++.exe " & """" & wscript.arguments(1) & """" WshShell.run sCmd End If
- Now, simply save the file in NPP.VBS
- Then, you need to move that file to your PC’s c:\Windows directory.
- Open the Registry Editor and head towards the:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options
- Now, under this, you have to create a subkey and name it notepad.exe.
- After that, create a string value (REG_SZ) named debugger under the subkey.
- Now, simply double-click on it and set its value as follows:
- After that, follow the path or key:
- Now, double click on the default, and change its value from:
to this value:
Method 2. Associate Text Files (.txt) with Notepad++
- First of all, you require to create a default text file on your Windows PC desktop.
- Then, right-click on that text file and select the Properties option from the drop-down menu.
- Now, in the next window, select the Change button, click on the Notepad++ from opened list of apps, and hit the OK.
- Suppose, in case if you don’t find Notepad++ in that list, tap on the “More apps” option. This will extend the list. If you’re using the portable edition, then Notepad++ may not be listed there. However, if that’s the case, then we recommend you click on the “Look for another app on this PC” and then browse the Notepad++ folder to choose the .exe file.
Note: C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe is the default Notepad++.exe path.
That’s it. I hope this guide helped you replacing the Notepad in Windows. You can use any of the methods mentioned above and use Notepad++ as an alternative to Notepad. However, if you have any doubt or are stuck in any step while performing the above step, please ask us in the comment section. Furthermore, you can also find more exciting articles on our website, so don’t forget to visit here regularly.