AirDrop is Apple’s software that lets you share documents, photos, and videos from one Apple device to another. It works seamlessly within the Apple ecosystem, and file transfer speed is quick and fast.
If surrounded by Apple users, you might find it hard to find the correct recipient’s device to share the files with. The person sending the files must select a receiver device from nearby devices. If the receiver’s AirDrop name is too common, selecting the correct receiver can be complicated.
You can change your AirDrop name to something that can be quickly identified among other Apple devices nearby. Fortunately, changing your AirDrop name is not complicated at all.
If you have not changed your AirDrop name before, it should be your first and the model name, such as “Vicky’s iPhone 13” or “Alex’s iPhone 14”. Following the steps mentioned in this guide, you can quickly change it to something your friend can easily identify. It can help you avoid sending files to a different person.
How to Change Your AirDrop Name on iPhone
The AirDrop feature is only available on iPhones and iPads running iOS 7 and later. If your Apple device supports AirDrop, follow the steps mentioned below to change your AirDrop name:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down to “General” and tap on it.
- Go to the “About” section. You’ll see your current AirDrop name at the top on this screen. Click “Name” to set a new name.
- Type in your new AirDrop name.
- Tap “Done” to rename your device.
The above steps will change your iPhone’s name and the AirDrop name. The next time someone receives a file from someone, they will see your new AirDrop name.
Some Apple users have reported that changing the device name doesn’t change the AirDrop name. If your AirDrop name remains unchanged, you will need to update your contact card.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Open the “Phone” app on your iPhone.
- Tap on “Contacts” at the bottom.
- Click your contact card at the top.
- Now, tap on the “Edit” button in the top-right corner.
- Type in a new name and click “Done”.
The AirDrop feature works with your contact. So, after changing your name on the contact card, others should see your new name when transferring files to you the next time.
How to Change Your AirDrop Name on iPad
Changing your AirDrop name on your iPad is a quick and easy task. Unlike iPhones, where you must update the contact card, iOS only requires changing the device name. The name of your iPad is the name of your AirDrop.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Launch the “Settings” app on your iPad.
- Tap on “General” from the left panel.
- Select “About” from the right panel.
- Tap on “Name” at the top of your screen.
- Type in your desired name and click “Done.”
You now have a new AirDrop name on your iOS. Go ahead and start receiving files from other Apple devices.
What to Do if Your Airdrop Name Is Not Updating?
If your AirDrop name has not changed after following the steps from this article, you can try a few things to resolve the issue.
1. Restart Your Device: After changing the AirDrop name, if the new name does not reflect on other AirDrop devices, turn off your device and then turn it back on. This will refresh system processes and the new AirDrop name might start reflecting everywhere.
Steps to restart your iPad:
- Press and hold the power button on your iPad until the power slider appears.
- Drag the slider to the right to turn it off.
- Hold down the power button again until you see the Apple logo.
Steps to restart your iPhone:
- Press and hold the power and volume buttons until the power slider pops up on the screen.
- Drag the slider to the right to turn off your iPhone.
- Now, press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears.
2. Update Your Device: The AirDrop name is probably not updating because your Apple device is not running the latest version of AirDrop software. Navigate to Settings > General > Software Update. If an update is available, download and install it.
After updating your iPhone or Pad, check if the device has a new AirDrop name.
Wrapping It Up
AirDrop is a handy feature for Apple devices for quickly sharing files. However, not having a unique AirDrop name may make it hard for others to identify your device from the available AirDrop names. This could result in the file being transferred to a different person. You should set your AirDrop name to something unique to avoid such a scenario.
I assume you would have changed your AirDrop name using the steps mentioned in this article. If you have any questions, drop them in the comment section below.