Virtualization is quite commonly used in organizations to make the most of the hardware on offer. But sometimes there are challenges too as you might have one particular virtual machine and you might need another. In such a scenario conversion is the only option. Here too we are taking a look at the conversion of Vmware Virtual Machine to HYPER-V.
The reason behind the conversions is mostly support. Maybe you have a multi-hypervisor environment, or you need to perform testing, or maybe you want a more rational licensing model for some software you are working on. The reason behind the requirement of conversion from one virtual machine to another can be many. So in this article, we have given a step by step guide on how to convert a VMware virtual machine to Hyper-V virtual machine.
How to Convert Vmware Virtual Machine to HYPER-V?
The first you need to make sure is to clean up the virtual hard disks. You must delete all sorts of temporary and unnecessary files that consume space on the virtual disks of your virtual machine. Once you have done that, ensure that no virtual devices are connected to the system.
Now for conversion, there are many methods, but here in this article we will take a look at the four major ones:
- Conversion Using Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC).
- Converting VMware ESXi VM with StartWind.
Conversion Using Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC):
The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter is the most convenient way to convert a virtual machine.
- Download Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter from here.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation of the software.
- Once the installation is complete, open the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter program on your system.
- You will be greeted by a welcome screen. Click Next.
- Then select Virtual Machine Conversion in Machine Type and then click Next.
- In Migration destination, select Migrate to Hyper-V and then click Next.
- Then in Hyper-V Host enter the IP address of the Hyper-V along with the credentials of the administrator that has access to it. Then click on Next.
- In Disk, enter a network path for storing the converted virtual hard disks and click on Next.
- Then in Source, specify the details for connection to a vCenter server or ESXi server and then click on Next.
- In Virtual Machine, select the virtual machine that you want to convert from the list of machines that show up. Then click on Next.
- Then in connection, specify the final state of the source machine and the final state of the destination machine and then click on Next.
- In the Workspace, enter a path or a folder to store temporary files during the conversion process. After that, click on next again.
- Finally check the summary and click on Finish to start the conversion process.
- Once the conversion is complete, click on close to exit the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter.
Converting VMware ESXi VM with StartWind converter:
Another application that you can use to convert VMware ESXi VM to Hyper-V is StartWind. It is a free application to use. So all that you need to is download it and follow the instructions given below.
- Download the StartWind converter from here. You will have to signup though to download the application. It is completely free though.
- Next, once the .exe file is downloaded, simply open it and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once the installation is done, open the program StartWind converter.
- Choose Remote VMware ESXi Server and then click on next.
- Then enter the IP Address and the credentials of the ESXi Server.
- Select the Virtual Machine that you want to convert and then click on Next.
- Now select the option Microsoft HYPER-V Server and click on Next.
- Then enter the IP address and the login credentials for the HYPER-V Server.
- Then enter the path for the Virtual Machine in the HYPER-V server.
- Enter the other details like the Name and Virtual Switch that you will in HYPER-V.
- Then click on Convert and wait till the process is done. It might be a long wait if the size of the VM is not small.
So these are the easiest and quickest ways to convert VMware to HYPER-V. There are some methods of conversion too, but they are quite complicated and the chances of facing an error are also very high. So just stick to these free applications for your conversion and you can convert worry-free quickly.
If you have any questions or queries about this article on Virtual Machine conversion, then comment down below, and we will get back to you. Also, be sure to check out our other articles on iPhone tips and tricks, Android tips and tricks, PC tips and tricks, and much more for more useful information.