The Chinese smartphone brand Honor has launched Honor 8 Pro as the upper mid-range budget category smartphone in 2017. It came with Android 7.0 Nougat and has upgraded to the Android 9.0 Pie early this year with EMUI 9.1 skin. Now, the device most probably may not get the Android 10 update officially. So, if you’re using this handset and waiting for the latest Android 10 update, we will suggest you to check how to Download and Install AOSP Android 10 update for Honor 8 Pro [GSI Treble].
A big thanks to the phhusson (XDA Recognized Developer) for building the Android 10 GSI custom build for the Honor 8 Pro model. The GSI (Generic System Image) is a system image file that can easily run Pure Android without modifying the AOSP code on Project Treble supported devices. If you want to get a taste of Android 10 unofficially, you can follow the full guide below. FYI, all the Android 8.0 Oreo or later version running devices support Project Treble which ensures the faster delivery of Android updates.
Table of Contents
Honor 8 Pro Specifications
The Honor 8 Pro was one of the good looking smartphones in 2017. It has a 5.7-inches Quad-HD LTPS IPS LCD display with 1440×2560 pixels resolution. The display is packed with a Corning Gorilla Glass 3. It has a HiSilicon Kirin 960 SoC, Mali-G71 MP8 GPU, 4GB/6GB of RAM, 64GB of internal storage variant. Users can expand storage up to 256GB via a MicroSD card.
The device packs a dual 12MP+12MP (B/W) rear camera setup with an f/2.2 aperture lens along with PDAF, Laser AF, HDR, Panorama, Dual-LED Dual-Tone Flash, etc. It has an 8MP selfie camera with an f/2.0 aperture lens. The handset packs a 4,000mAh battery with 18W fast charging support.
The device includes Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, a 3.5mm audio jack, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, Infrared Port, Type-C port, etc. In terms of the sensors, the device has a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor, gyro, an accelerometer, proximity, and compass sensor.
What’s on Android 10?
Google has started rolling out the latest Android 10 version update to its Pixel series devices which is the 10th iteration of Android OS. It brings plenty of new features to the device system like system UI, new gesture navigation, improved privacy and location control. The update also offers enhanced app permissions, foldable display support, security features, system-wide dark mode, etc.
The Android 10 also offers built-in call screening, multi-camera API, smart replies in the notification panel, 5G support, improved call quality, bubble feature, live caption, and more. While the latest version also improves battery life, Focus mode which is similar to the Do Not Disturb mode, etc. Apart from that Android 10 also features 65 new emojis. It also comes with direct audio streaming support to hearing aid devices. Therefore, the AOSP Android 10 update for Honor 8 Pro will also bring most of these features.
Android 10 Features
Here we will provide short details of the most highlighted features of Android 10 (aka Android Q). Check out the Top 10 Android 10 features.
- Live Caption: This feature will automatically start caption when you will play media on your phone.
- Smart Reply: It will offer suggested responses or actions to your incoming messages like Facebook Messenger.
- Sound Amplifier: It will boost audio, filter background noise, and fine-tune the sound for the improved listening experience.
- New Gesture Navigation: This system is now smoother and faster than before.
- Dark Theme: It offers better battery backup and reduces eye strain during lowlight conditions.
- Privacy Controls: It features offers your device system to choose when and how your data will be shared.
- Location Controls: It feature also offers advanced security layers and control any apps or the map to access your location.
- Faster Security Updates: This option will be useful for both the smartphone OEMs and users via Google Play service. This will offer faster updates.
- Focus Mode: It’s an improved version of the Digital Wellbeing feature with an enhanced user interface and few changes.
- Family Link: It’s quite similar to the Focus mode which is basically for kids. The parents can now control devices or apps usage time limits and content limits as well.
Steps to Install AOSP Android 10 update for Honor 8 Pro
First, you have to unlock the device bootloader in order to flash any Custom ROM. But going to the process. let’s take a look at requirements and download links first.
Pre-Requirements: AOSP Android 10 update for Honor 8 Pro
- You need to unlock the bootloader at first.
- Download the required Android 10 GSI ROM file and Android 10 GApps file from below.
- Keep your device battery charged up to 60% at least for a smoother process.
- Take a complete backup of your device data without Root. In case anything goes wrong, you can easily restore all the data.
Instructions to Install: AOSP Android 10 update for Honor 8 ProGuide to Install Generic System Image (GSI) on Your Android Device
We hope that this guide is helpful to you and you have successfully installed the AOSP Android 10 Custom ROM on your Huawei Honor 8 Pro handset easily. If in case anything goes wrong or if you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments below.