In this post, we will give you the links to download the Newflasher which is a tool for Sony Xperia devices for flashing the firmware. Moreover, we will also guide you on how to flash the firmware on Xperia device using the Newflasher. For those who do not know, previously, if you wanted to change the firmware of your Sony Xperia device, then using the Flashtool was the only way around. Whether this related to upgrading or downgrading your device to any major Android versions.
However, with the launch of the Sony Xperia devices in the year 2017, there was a new command-line called the Newflasher developed by the XDA Member, munjeni. This changed the dependency on the Flashtools for the Xperia devices and the Newflasher command line took over. However, you need to make sure that you can use this guide only for the Sony device from 2017 onwards. However, for older devices, you can still use the Flashtool. Moreover, the Newflasher is an easy process as compared to the Flashtool process and if you follow the guide correctly, you would be able to flash the firmware on your Xperia device quickly.
So, without any further ado, let us get straight into the article itself;
Download Newflasher: How to flash the firmware on Xperia device
One important thing to note is that flashing the firmware will erase the data on your device. So, it is advised that you make a backup of all the data on your phone. Moreover, any damage caused while using the Newflasher on your device is not the responsibility of the author or GetDroidTips. So, only go ahead with the guide on your own risk.
You can download the latest version of the NewFlasher by clicking the below button. Its version is v17 and was updated on 24/06/2019 which fixed the LUN0 detection bug.NewFlasher v17
How To Use Newflasher
Platform: Newflasher is supported on Windows, Linux, and Android. You need to just make sure to use the correct binary for the Newflasher. Moreover, you can flash your Xperia device on Android using another Android phone.
Source Code: You can find the source code for the NewFlasher by clicking here.
Optional Step: If you are missing any of the drivers or correct drivers are not installed for your device on your PC, we recommend you to install the correct drivers for your compatible device. However, if you are missing any drivers, you need to double click on the .exe file and confirm the driver extraction and install the drivers.
- Download the drivers using the XperiFirm tool and Flashtool. (Flashtool will not be used for this method. However, it will ensure that all the necessary drivers are installed for your Xperia device.)
- Install the Flashtool drivers from the location “C:\Flashtool\drivers”. You need to check the “Flashmode Drivers” and “Fastboot Drivers” option.
- Now, enable USB Debugging and Unknown Sources on your device.
- USB Debugging: Settings>>Developer Options
- Unknown Sources: Settings>> Security
- After this, you need to download the Xperia Firmware. For that launch the Flashtool and then click on XperiFirm icon.
- Head to your device shown in the left pane, and choose the firmware for your region/carrier. The right pane will show you the information about the firmware available for your region.
- Click on the firmware and click on Download to proceed the download of the firmware file. (Only download the firmware for compatible mobile)
- After the completion of download close the download window. You will see that there are two new folders created on your PC, one for the firmware file and the other one for the newflasher.
- Now, open the firmware folder and select all the .ta files and delete them.
- Open the “boot” folder which is located within the main firmware folder. You will find there is one .ta file called “Maple_XBootConfig_MiscTA”. Delete that file too.
- You need to create a new folder named “partition” inside the main firmware folder.
- Extract the partion.zip files which are located in the main firmware folder to the newly created “partition folder”.
- Now, for the final step, you need the entire content of the firmware folder into the Newflasher folder
- Make sure to connect your Xperia device to the PC before starting the process using the Newflasher. You need to connect your device by holding the Volume down button while connecting to your PC.
- In the command prompt, type ‘n’ and hit Enter.
- You need to again type ‘n’ and hit Enter. Now the flashing of the firmware will begin on your Xperia device.
- Once the process is complete, you will receive a message saying “You can disconnect your device when you close newflasher.exe”
- That’s it! You have flashed the firmware on your Xperia device using the Newflasher. You do not need to worry if your device takes some time to boot up.
So, there you have it from my side in this post. The above guide will help you successfully flash the firmware on your Xperia device using the NewFlasher command line. Please report us in the comments below, if you come across any bug or errors while following the above-mentioned steps. Until the next post…Cheers!