Be it Squad or any other multiplayer game, you won’t enjoy the game to its fullest if you can’t talk with your teammates. Not being able to do so would result in non-conversational gameplay where you can’t suggest or give instructions to your friends during the gameplay and that could make it tough to win the game. Squad game has the mic option but many players seem to be having issues with it. If you are one of the victims, keep reading this article as we’ll walk you through effective solutions that will most likely fix the Squad game mic not working issue.
Squad is a popular first-person shooter video game. It has garnered very positive reviews on Steam from PC gamers. Large maps, complex and challenging gameplay, and realistic military gameplay make the game most appealing to players. The Squad game features battles with up to 100 players in a single game. You have a variety of vehicles to choose from including helicopters and tanks.
The game is loaded with features, vehicles, and customization options. But, a minor issue can ruin your gaming experience. In this article, we’re going to fix the mic not working issue on the Squad game.
Before we begin our troubleshooting, let’s take a look at the potential reasons which could be causing the problem.
- Reasons Why Squad Game Mic Is Not Working
- Squad Game Mic Not Working, How to Fix?
- Final Thoughts
Reasons Why Squad Game Mic Is Not Working
- The microphone is disabled: The microphone could be disabled on your computer which is why you can’t communicate with your friends in the Squad game via audio. Check if the microphone access is disabled. If yes, enable it and the problem should disappear.
- Defective microphone: If the microphone is not working in the Squad game, the device could be defective. To double-check the issue, open Sound Recorder and record something. If the mic works, you don’t have to replace it.
- USB Port is not working: If you are using an external microphone, you might have plugged the device into a defective USB port on your computer. Try changing the port to see if it works.
- Outdated audio driver: Another reason why you can’t use the mic in the Squad game is an outdated audio driver. Although an outdated audio driver should work just fine, they can sometimes cause many issues. The drivers can also get corrupted. So, this is another driver-related problem you need to check.
- Incorrect in-game settings: Make sure the microphone is not blocked or disabled within the game’s settings.
- Corrupted game files: Game files may get corrupted. It can happen due to many reasons and that can bring many problems. Probably, this is the reason for the mic issue in the Squad game. Thankfully, there’s a quick way to check and repair game files. We’ll talk about it in the solutions below.
Now that we have some understanding as to what could be causing the mic not working issue with the Squad game, it’s time to begin the troubleshooting.
Squad Game Mic Not Working, How to Fix?
Below we’ve jotted down several effective solutions to fix the Squad game microphone issue. Try them and do let us know which one did the job for you.
1. Test Your Microphone
If the mic is not working within the Squad game, check if it is working for other apps. For this, type Sound Recorder in the search box at the bottom and hit the Enter button. The app should open. Press the big red circular button to record something. Listen to the recording to check if the mic is working.
If the mic is not working, there might be some issues with the microphone or the change-related settings as mentioned in the next solution.
2. Check the Microphone Settings
In case you can’t use the mic on your Windows PC, you would want to make sure that all the microphone-related settings are fine. First, we’ll check the device being used for the mic purpose. For this, open the “Settings” app, tap on “System” from the left-side menu, and select “Sound”. Scroll down to the “Input” section, and check if the correct device is selected. Once done, raise the input volume to above 50.
Scroll down to the “Advanced” section and tap on “More sound settings”. A popup window should open. Go to the “Recording” tab, select your primary microphone, and click “Set Default”. The selected device will be used for microphone purposes.
3. Check if Microphone Access Is Blocked
There is an option on Windows computers to block microphone access to all applications. Or, you can also block the mic access to a single app or game. You would want to check if the Squad game is blocked from using a microphone.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open the “Settings” app on your PC.
- Go to “Privacy & security”.
- Tap on “Microphone” under App permissions.
- Enabled “Microphone access” if it’s turned off.
- Next, scroll down and find Squad. Make sure microphone access is not blocked.
Once you have tweaked the above settings, launch the Squad game and check if you can use the mic.
4. Try Changing the USB Port
If you are using a headset with a built-in microphone or an external microphone, then the problem could be a defective USB port. We are assuming that you’ve selected the headset as the recording device as suggested earlier.
Put the headset connecting end to another USB port on your PC. Now, if the microphone starts working properly, it confirms that the source of the problem was the defective USB port. However, if the problem persists, you may need to try other solutions as well.
5. Change the Sample Rate
If you are still struggling with the microphone issue, change the sample rate to see if it can fix the issue. Here are the steps to follow:
- Right-click on the Windows logo at the bottom and select “Settings”.
- Tap on “System” and select “Sound”.
- Scroll down to “More sound settings” and tap on it.
- Go to the “Recording” tab.
- Right-click on your microphone and select “Properties”.
- Go to the “Advanced” tab.
- Under Default Format, select “2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)” from the drop-down options.
- Click “OK” to make the changes.
After changing the sample rate, if the problem persists, we’ll check if there’s something wrong with the in-game microphone settings in the next solution.
6. Check the In-Game Settings
Steam may not be using the default microphone device you set earlier from Windows’s settings. This could be the reason why the mic is not working in the Squad game. Here’s how to fix it:
- Launch the “Steam” client on your PC.
- Tap on the “Friends” option in the top-left corner and select “View Friends List”.
- Press the cogwheel icon next to the chatbox.
- Select “Voice” from FRIENDS LIST SETTINGS.
- Check if the correct microphone is selected as the VOICE INPUT DEVICE.
- To change the voice input device, tap on the current device and select the correct device from the drop-down options.
Once you have selected the right microphone. Relaunch the Squad game and check if the problem is fixed.
7. Detect Audio Devices on Steam
If you still can’t use the microphone within the Squad game, try using the detect audio device feature to fix the issue. Here’s how to use this feature:
- Close Steam and Squad game.
- Properly connect your mic to your computer.
- Launch the Steam app.
- Tap on the “Steam” menu option in the top-left corner and click “Settings”.
- Tap on the “Voice” option from the left pane.
- Click “DETECT AUDIO DEVICE”.
8. Update Audio Drivers
Your computer may have outdated audio drivers. Although an outdated audio driver should work just fine, sometimes it can cause many problems. The drivers may also get corrupted. In the first scenario, you have to update the driver. But when the drivers get corrupted, you have to reinstall them to get the problem out of your device.
To update the audio drivers, follow these steps:
- Type “Device Manager” in the search box and press “Enter”.
- Expand the “Audio inputs and outputs” option.
- Right-click on the microphone and select “Update driver”.
- Click “Search automatically for drivers”.
Windows will now start checking for a new driver. If available, follow the on-screen instructions to update the driver.
Alternatively, you can open the Settings app, go to Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional updates, and expand Driver updates to check for available driver updates.
If updating the audio driver did not work in fixing the microphone issues, you can try reinstalling it. You just have to uninstall the driver and Windows will automatically install it once you restart the device.
Here’s how to uninstall the microphone device:
- Open “Device Manager” and expand the “Audio inputs and outputs” option.
- Right-click on the microphone and select “Uninstall device”.
- Click “Uninstall” to confirm.
- Restart your computer.
9. Verify the Integrity of Game Files
As we mentioned in the earlier part of this post, there can be many problems if the game files get corrupted. Thankfully, you don’t have to manually check all the files for errors. Steam will do it for you. Just follow these steps:
- Launch the “Steam” client on your PC.
- Go to the “Library” tab.
- Next, find “Squad” from the game list and right-click on it.
- Select “Properties” from the available options.
- Tap on “LOCAL FILES” from the left pane.
- Click “VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES”.
Once the process is complete, launch the Squad game again to check if the problem is fixed.
Playing the Squad game with your friends without being able to communicate via audio chat can be disappointing and you might not have the best gaming experience. Thankfully, there are a few ways to quickly fix the issue which we uncovered in this article. We hope one of the solutions helped you in fixing the Squad game mic not working issue.