The Windows OS users have been complaining about an error that doesn’t allow them to launch an application. Whenever the users try to install a setup program, they are welcomed by an error message that says, “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0150004).” This error is not limited to only one version of Windows. Users have reported the error on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
If you are one of the Windows users who are dealing with this unfortunate error, then do not panic. In this article, we are going to discuss the error 0xc0150004. Continue the reading below to find out the reasons behind the error and various solutions for you to solve this error.
Table of Contents
- 1 What causes the Error code 0xc0150004?
- 2 Solutions to Fix Error Code 0xc0150004:
What causes the Error code 0xc0150004?
The error code 0xc0150004 can be happening due to an overprotective Antivirus suite. The third-party Antivirus software can create false alarms some time, which interferes with other system functions. Another reason for the error is a problematic third-party software program. The best way to detect this problematic third-party software is to perform a clean boot. And lastly, the most common reason for the error code 0xc0150004 is corrupted system files present on your Windows computer. To deal with these problems, you need to follow specific instructions given in the solutions below.
Solutions to Fix Error Code 0xc0150004:
Solution 1: Disable the Antivirus suite
As we discussed earlier, a third-party Antivirus suite can interfere with the App launcher. Different Antivirus applications have different settings. If you are using the Avast Antivirus, go to the Avast Antivirus icon in the taskbar. Right-click on that icon. Choose the Avast shields control option. Select the Disable for 10 minutes option and then, check for the error. If this process solves the error, you should consider uninstalling the Antivirus. Go to the Antivirus application’s official website. Download an uninstaller to perform a clean uninstalling process and to erase every left out file related to the troublesome Antivirus.
Solution 2: Disable the third-party software programs
There’s a chance that another recently installed or old third-party application is behind the error code 0xc0150004. You should perform a clean boot that disables all the startup applications. Then, start enabling one application at a time to determine which application is the culprit for producing the error code 0xc0150004. To perform a clean boot on your computer, follow these steps.
- Press Windows key +R.
- Type “msconfig” and press OK.
- Under the System configuration menu, open the UAC (User Account Control) prompt.
- Then, choose “Yes” to gain administrative privileges.
- Click on the “Services” option.
- Under the Services tab, you have to tick the box besides the “Hide all Microsoft Services” option.
- You have to click on the “Disable all” option, then choose Apply and press OK.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Select the “Open Task Manager” option.
- You have to disable each startup service so that the startup services will not start on their own after you reboot your computer.
- Now, you can Restart your computer to a clean state.
- See if you can launch the application that the error was preventing earlier.
- Re-enable the applications using the Startup task manager.
- After you manage to fix the error using this solution, you know which app was causing the error. Go to the control panel, find that application and uninstall it.
Solution 3: Update your Windows
When you update your Windows, you get all the latest drivers for hardware, and any bugs present in the previous version gets fixed. If you are dealing with an error, you should always check that your Windows is updated. To update your Windows, follow these steps.
- Go to the Start
- Open the Settings
- In the control panel, choose the Update and Security option
- Now, click on the Check for Windows Update option
- Install the updates, then check for the error.
If the error comes up again, go to the next solution.
Solution 4: Run a System File Checker (SFC) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) scan.
If none of the above-mentioned solutions worked for you, then the error is happening due to a serious issue of system file corruption. It is better to use both the System File Checker (SFC) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) utilities to remove the corrupted system files entirely. Here’s a quick guide for you on how to run SFC and DISM scans.
- Press Windows key +R.
- Input “cmd” and press Enter.
- Open the Command Prompt window with administrative privileges.
- DISM scan needs an internet connection. So, make sure you have an internet connection before starting the DISM scan.
- Then, in the command prompt window, you have to run these command lines given below. Press Enter after each command line.
Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- The first command line (scanhealth) scans for any problems in the system files. The second command line (restorehealth) handles the repairing process.
- After the DISM scan is complete, reboot your PC.
- Again, repeat the steps from the beginning to open the Command Prompt window.
- Run the command line given below and press Enter.
- Wait for the SFC scan to complete, then restart your computer.
The application was unable to start error: 0xc0150004 is an annoying error, but you don’t have to worry. You have come to the right place. We have provided you with solutions that are simple and effective.
The error doesn’t let you install or run an already installed application. And it’s very frustrating, especially when you are in a hurry. You can use the solutions given above and fix the error without wasting any more time. We hope you become successful in getting rid of the error 0xc0150004. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.