Silly and simple it may seem but there are a majority of people who don’t bother about even getting the software of their devices updated in a timely manner. Yes, it’s true. A software update or even a system update is the most important thing for any smartphone. These updates contain security level upgrades, fixes for Apps and other such solutions to vulnerabilities. So, it should never be missed out. Usually, we know of only over-the-air update notification which we see and then install. However, there are various other ways to install the latest OTA as well. In this post, we will tell you the various ways to Apply OTA/Software Update on Nokia Devices.
This guide also tells you about how to capture the OTA link. in case you’re wondering, we can actually capture the OTA link and use it to update the device’s software.
How to Apply OTA/Software Update on Nokia Devices
How to apply OTA Via Phone
- Charge your phone up to 50 % or more
Steps To Install
Step-1 Download the OTA file for your respective device.
Step-2 Go to the folder where you’ve downloaded the and
Step-3 Rename the OTA package.
Step-4 Now move the OTA file to the root directory of device storage.
Step-5 Open your Phone App > dial *#*#874#*#*.
Step-6 The update process will now start. Wait for the update to finish.
Step-7 Make sure to restart the device when you see the prompt.
Apply OTA Via Recovery
- Install ADB tool on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone,
How To Flash the OTA on the Device [via recovery]
1. Make your device is up to date by going to Settings > About phone > System updates.
2. Download the required and exact OTA image.
3. Switch off the device, and connect with USB.
4. Press the Power button + Volume Up keys together for a few seconds till the device vibrates.
5. Now your phone will be in Recovery Mode,
4. Hold the Power button and press Volume Up once, and the recovery menu will appear:
Update Via SD Card
- In the recovery menu, you will see the option Apply update from SD Card.
- Tap on it > Browse to the OTA update zip > tap to select it. Confirm installation.
Updating Through ADB Commands
- Connect Phone to your PC using a micro-SD card.
- Select the option “Apply update from ADB”.
- Go to the folder where you’ve installed ADB. Right click + Shift to open PowerShell.
- Run the command adb devices to see your device is connected properly.
- Give the command adb sideload ota_file.zip – [replace “ota_file.zip” with the name of the downloaded file]
- After the update has finished, reboot the phone.
Now, let’s see how we can capture the OTA link manually.
How to Capture OTA Link
Before proceeding you have to keep in mind a few things which we have outlined in the section below.
- You will first need to enable USB debugging on your Android phone.
- You must enable USB debugging on your device.
- Install ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- If your phone is rooted then this guide will not work on it.
- You have to be sure that the OTA update has officially been released by your OEM. Else you will hunt for nothing.
Catching the OTA Update Using PC
Step-1 Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
Step-2 Go to the folder on your PC where you’ve set-up ADB.
Step-3 Open PowerShell by hold the SHIFT key and right-click inside this folder.
Step-4 In the command window, type the following.
adb logcat > ota.txt
Step-5 Now go to device Settings > System update Window > Download the update. Now comes the important part. After 10-15 seconds, pause the download.
Step-6 Go back to the command-line screen > press the Ctrl + C.
Step-7 Now go to the folder where you’ve installed ADB > Open the ‘ota.txt‘ file.
Step-8 Search manually for keywords like .zip”, “googleapis”, or “ota”. These keywords denote the OTA file.
Step-9 Once you get the URL following the keyword, copy and paste it into your browser’s address bar
Step-10 Press Enter to download the file. That’s it.
Capture OTA Update URL By ‘Take bug Report’ Option
Step-1 You have to enable ‘Developer options‘ on your device. Go to Settings > About Device > Build Number >Tap on it 7 times to enable the Developer Option.
Step-2 Now install any file explorer on your phone.
Step-3 Go to the Setting > System updates and start downloading the new update
Step-4 Now go to Settings > Developer options > tap on Take bug report >Select ‘Interactive report’.
Step-5 Tap on ‘Report’. It will capture OTA update URL of the latest firmware.
Step-6 Automatically it will capture the complete log of your system.
Step-7 After the report is taken completely, tap on the notification channel to share the bug report.
Step-8 Open your file explorer and save the bug report to device storage.
Step-9 Search for keywords like .zip”, “googleapis”, or “ota”. These keywords denote the link of OTA file.
Step-10 Once you get the URL following the keyword, copy and paste it into your browser’s address bar
Step-11 Press Enter to download the OTA package.
So, that’s it, guys. These were some of the ways to capture and install OTA manually on your Android smartphone.We hope this guide was helpful. If you have any queries do let us know.