Updated on March 01, 2020: Android means customizations and the system-level customizations can be done by installing any third-party file like a Custom ROM or Root access. If you want to flash any custom firmware or unlock bootloader or install a custom recovery, you will need ADB & Fastboot tool. This tool works on all Windows platforms and performs tasks on the device by connecting via a USB cable. Here you can Download and Install ADB and Fastboot on Windows [7, 8, 8.1, and Windows 10].
Both the ADB and Fastboot tools are very useful for modding and tweaking Android devices for customization or development process. By installing the ADB & Fastboot drivers, you can easily perform terminal commands on an Android device using the Windows PC/Laptop. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
What is ADB?
ADB (Android Debug Bridge) makes communication between your smartphone and computer. You can also consider it as a small debug tool for the Android Software Development Kit (SDK). It can be accessed using the command prompt on Windows and users can perform tasks by sending special commands to Android devices from the PC. In order to root or flashing new firmware, ADB can be very helpful.
What is Fastboot?
Fastboot is a diagnostic tool used to modify the Android file system from a PC/Laptop. It can be accessed when the smartphone is in fastboot/bootloader mode and connected to a PC via a USB cable. You can flash a boot image file or a unlock/relock the device bootloader, etc.
Advantages of ADB and Fastboot tool
- Compatible for any Android devices
- Runs on both Windows or Mac platforms
- Install Custom ROM
- Flash Custom Recovery
- Can install Root
- Unlock / Relock the device bootloader
- Remove bloatware from your phone
Setup ADB and Fastboot on Windows and Mac OS:
Setting up ADB and Fastboot seems quite easy. As ADB and Fastboot both are a part of the Android SDK package, only you to download the kit (which is over 500 MB) and then set up path variables, or the below-written methods can be used to install ADB and fastboot driver on Windows and Mac OS. But first, you need to remember that you have to put your device into USB debugging mode, but before that, you need to enable the developer option. If you just ignore this step, the possibility is your PC won’t recognize your device.
Did you know?
Supported Windows Versions
The ADB and Fastboot tools supported for Windows 7 / 8.1 / 8 / 10 versions for both the 32-bit and 64-bit processor type. Now, follow the installation guide below.
Download ADB and Fastboot tool:
- 15 seconds ADB Installer
- v1.4.3: Download Here
Thanks to XDA Senior member Snoop05, who shared this on XDA.
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot Tool:
- Download Android SDK Platform tool
Thanks to XDA Recognized Contributor shimp208, who shared this on XDA.
How to Install ADB and Fastboot Tool:
As we were given 3 different ADB and Fastboot tools, you can download and install either 15 seconds ADB Installer, Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool or SDK Platform tool. Well, we recommend using the Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool or the official Android SDK Platform tool.
Install 15 seconds ADB Installer
1) Starting with let’s download the ADB Installer setup file by XDA member @Snoop05. It does not just install ADB but it also installs fastboot and USB drivers within a short span of 15 seconds.
2) First of all, run the adb-setup.exe.
3) Now you need to respond with YES (Y) or NO (N). Type ‘Y’ if you want to install the ADB and fastboot driver.
4) Once again type ‘Y’ to install the device driver. This may take a few seconds to install the device drivers and after that, the command window will automatically close.
6) Congratulations!!! You have successfully installed ADB and fastboot on your Windows PC.
Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot:
- Download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot Tool exe installer package
- Start the installation by double-clicking it
- If a new window pops up to grant the permission, confirm by YES or Run.
- Click the Next button to confirm one by one.
- Now tap on Finish to complete the process.
- If you have already selected the tick mark to launch minimal ADB and fastboot
- You will see this screen to start the command
Here are all basic adb and fastboot commands so that you should learn to become Android Pro.