The popular OnePlus 6 was launched back in 2018 that came with Android 8.1 Oreo on top of OxygenOS and the flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC out of the box. Since then, custom firmware developers are releasing multiple Custom ROMs for this model. So, chances are high enough that somehow you’ve bricked your OnePlus 6 while flashing Custom ROM or unlocking the bootloader. If so, you can unbrick OnePlus 6 via MSM Download Tool.
It seems that flashing or restoring the Stock ROM on your Android device will help you to easily unbrick the device so that you can go back to the stock firmware again. This is one of the best and most common ways to revive your handset if it’s stuck in the bootloop or bricked due to improper firmware flashing or bootloader unlocking steps. Sometimes it may also be possible that you have missed out on any specific step or flashed any wrong file too.
Similarly, improperly installing custom modules or root on your Android device can also brick your handset easily. Luckily, we’ve provided a detailed and easy method to unbrick your OnePlus 6 handset by booting your device in the EDL (Emergency Download Mode) as it’s powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset inside. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
- How to Unbrick Dead OnePlus 6 Using MSM Download Tool
How to Unbrick Dead OnePlus 6 Using MSM Download Tool
A big thanks to SkandaH (XDA Portal Supporter) for sharing the unbrick firmware file (OxygenOS 5.1.5 which can be upgraded to the latest OxygenOS version by flashing full signed zip. Before jumping into the method, follow some of the requirements we’ve provided below. You’ll need a Windows computer and a USB cable for this.
1. Turn Off Windows Defender and Firewall
First of all, you should disable the Windows Defender and Firewall protection on your computer temporarily to easily proceed to the firmware flashing steps. Otherwise, these security programs may block the MSM Download Tool from running properly. To do so:
- Press the Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings > Click on Privacy and Security.
- Go to Windows Security > Click on Virus & threat protection.
- Click on Manage settings >Then turn off the Real-time Protection option.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
- Next, click on the Start menu > Type Control Panel and open it.
- Type firewall in the search box and open Windows Firewall.
- Then click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Select Turn off Windows Firewall for the Private, Domain, and Public Network Settings.
- Once turned off, make sure to reboot the PC to apply changes.
Keep in mind that if you’re using another third-party antivirus software then turn it off until the unbricking methods get completed. It’s necessary.
2. Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
The second thing you should do is simply disabling the Windows Driver Signature Enforcement on the PC. Otherwise, this feature may not allow you to easily install any of the third-party not-signed Qualcomm drivers as well as the MSM Download Tool on the computer. To do this:
- Press the Windows + X keys to open the Quick Link Menu.
- Click on Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows Terminal (Admin) from the list.
- Now, copy/paste the following command line in the command prompt window and hit Enter to execute it:
bcdedit /set testsigning on
- If you see the message ‘The operation completed successfully.’ then just restart your computer to boot it into the ‘Test Mode’.
- However, if you see a message ‘Protected by Secure Boot policy’ that means the Secure Boot feature is enabled on your computer.
- In that scenario, you’ll have to disable the secure boot in the UEFI firmware option that can be found in the BIOS settings. [There are plenty of tutorials available online]
Please Note: Once the unbricking process is done, make sure to run the bcdedit /set testsigning off command to turn off the Test Mode on your PC.
3. Install Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 Drivers
Next, you’ll have to simply install the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 Drivers on your Windows PC manually so the OnePlus 6 will easily get detected while connected to the PC via a USB cable. We’ve already provided a full guide to install Qualcomm HS-USB driver that you should perform accordingly.
Once done, head over to the next step to restore the Stock ROM or Unbrick your OnePlus 6 device.
4. Unbrick Firmware Download Links:
Unbrick Firmware: OnePlus 6_180513_æ°¢OSçº¿åˆ·åŒ….rar (1.9GB)
As we’ve already mentioned, the phone will be restored to Oxygen OS 5.1.5 version. Later you can upgrade it to the latest OxygenOS version according to your choice by flashing the full-signed zip file from our OnePlus 6 Stock ROM guide or this XDA Thread link.
Disclaimer: GetDroidTips won’t be held responsible for any kind of damage or error that may occur on your handset while/after following this guide. You should properly follow all the steps and do it at your own risk.
5. Steps to Setup MSM Download Tool for Unbricking
- Download the MSM Download Tool from this link > Extract it and double-click on the MsmDownloadTool V4.0.exe file to open it.
- If prompted by UAC, click on Yes to proceed to the installation by following the on-screen instructions.
- Make sure that you’ve downloaded the unbrick firmware on the computer by using the link above.
- Now, extract the firmware rar/zip file into a folder on the computer.
- Once done, just extract the compressed zip file on the Windows PC into a folder.
- Open the MSM Download Tool as an administrator on the PC > Select User Type as Other.
- Then click on Next > Click on the Target drop-down menu.
- Next, select any of the following options as the Target [In which firmware variant you’re trying to restore]
- O2: Global Firmware/Tool
- India: Indian Firmware/Tool
- EU: European Firmware/Tool
6. Steps to Boot OnePlus 6 in EDL Mode and Unbrick
- First, make sure to power off your OnePlus 6 handset. Press the Power button for 40 seconds to switch it off properly.
- Then press and hold the Volume Up button for 10 seconds while connecting the device with the computer via a USB cable and it’ll forcefully boot into the EDL (Emergency Download Mode).
- Once the device is connected to the PC and gets detected on the system, you can now release the volume key.
- You’ll also see the connection status on the MSM Download Tool interface.
- If you haven’t installed the Qualcomm 9008 HS-USB Driver on your computer then go to Device Manager > Check “Unknown devices” with the name “QHUSB_BULK”. [Sometimes it may appear on the “Ports [COM & LTP]” section]
- Right-click on your device in the Device Manager > Select Update Device Software.
- Choose manually the driver folder and install the driver.
- Now, go to MSM Download Tool > Click on the Start button to begin flashing the stock firmware (unbrick) on your OnePlus 6 handset.
Note: The firmware flashing process may take a couple of minutes around 300-400 seconds. So, have some patience and do not unplug the USB cable from the device during the process.
- Once the stock firmware flashing process is done, you’ll receive the completed or successful message on the MSM Download tool interface.
- Disconnect the phone from the computer and boot it into the system normally. [The first boot will take some time]
- Finally, go through the initial setup process of the device settings, and you’re good to go.
Well, this is how you can easily unbrick or restore your OnePlus 6 device by using the MSM Download Tool. Restoring to the stock firmware will not only unbrick the device but also fix most of the stability or performance-related issues that you may experience on a custom firmware whatsoever as a daily driver.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.