The graphics processing unit or GPU is an essential component of a computer system responsible for rendering high-end graphical content on your computer. Most applications and games require a dedicated GPU to run smoothly. The CPU or processors baked into the motherboard come with integrated GPUs built into it, but integrated GPU is only at handling basic tasks.
When it comes to heavy weightlifting, the machine will need a dedicated GPU. And that is what is troubling some Asus Zephyrus laptop owners. They cannot use the dedicated GPU for some reason, which results in a lacking user experience, especially for a gaming laptop. So here in this article, we will look into all the solutions you can try to fix this problem. Now, without any further ado, let’s get into it.
How to Fix Asus Zephyrus Not Using GPU?
The solutions mentioned here have worked for several troubled Asus Zephyrus owners, and one of them should work for you too. Just try one solution after the other until the problem is resolved.
Update graphics drivers:
Outdated graphics drivers could be restricting the GPU usage on your computer. To give more access to the dedicated GPU, keep the graphics drivers on your PC up to date.
There are three ways to update or install graphics drivers on a Windows computer. Firstly, you can visit your computer manufacturer’s website, and on their support or download page, you will find the setup file for the graphics drivers. You need to download the setup file from that site and then install the drivers onto your computer just like any other program.
Secondly, you can let Windows look for the drivers themselves and automatically install them on your computer.
- Press Windows key + X and then choose Device Manager from the list of options.
- Double-click on Display adapters and then right-click on your default video card.
- Select Update Driver.
- Then follow the on-screen instructions to let your computer scan the internet for the latest drivers.
- If it finds any new drivers, Windows will automatically install them on your computer.
The last method for updating drivers is to use a third-party driver utility tool. Several tools can scan your computer for any missing or outdated drivers. If the graphics driver on your computer is out of date, it will show up in one of these tools. Then you need to click on one button, and the latest drivers will be installed on your computer. These driver utility tools charge a bit for their service, but it is well worth it since you need to worry about any drivers on your computer again.
Try the next solution if this does not help with your GPU issue with the Asus Zephyrus laptop.
Tweak graphics settings:
One way to force your computer to use the dedicated GPU for a particular application is through display settings. Let’s see how you can do it.
- Right-click on your desktop and choose Display settings.
- Click on the “graphics settings” option in the Display settings window.
- Now click browse and select the program’s executable file for which you want to use the dedicated GPU.
- Once the app is selected, click on the options button and choose the “High performance” option for it. You will see the name of your GPU next to it, indicating that the GPU will be used as the default for that application now.
- Finally, click on Save.
- Now, open up that application and open up Task Manager. The Task Manager window will display which GPU the running application uses.
Try the next solution if that application is not using the dedicated GPU and just the integrated GPU.
Enable GPU manually:
By default, Windows uses the integrated GPU to save power. But we can select the dedicated GPU as the default GPU for all graphics-related tasks. And you can give this a try as well.
For NVIDIA Graphics unit:
- Right-click on your desktop and choose NVIDIA Control Panel.
- A new window will open. Here, click on the Manage 3D Settings option in the window’s left pane.
- Now, in the right pane, under Preferred Graphics Processor, choose the option High-Performance NVIDIA processor.
- Click on Apply button.
- Then click on the Set PhysX Configuration option in the left pane
- And in the right pane, choose your dedicated GPU under the option Select a PhysX processor.
- Again, click on Apply and then close the window.
For AMD Graphics unit:
- Right-click on the desktop and choose AMD Radeon Settings.
- Click on the System tab in the top-right corner of the new window.
- Click on the Switchable Graphics option, then select the program you want to run.
- Then choose High Performance from the dropdown menu.
- Now, close the window and run the selected program.
Try the next solution if the selected program still does not use the dedicated GPU.
Updating Windows to the latest version will mean security fixes and performance improvements. And for most users, the GPU issue was resolved simply through a proper Windows update.
- Press the Windows key + I to open up the Windows settings window.
- Click on Update & Security.
- In the Update & Security window, go to Windows Update and click on Check for Updates.
- Wait till the update process is complete, and then restart the computer.
Check if the GPU issue after the Windows update. If it still exists, try the following method.
Enable GPU in BIOS:
The GPU needs to be enabled from the BIOS menu for the OS to use it. So you need to check and make sure the GPU is enabled in the BIOS menu.
- Power on the device, and when the Asus logo shows up, press the F2 key continuously. The computer will then enter the BIOS menu, and it will show up on your screen.
- In the BIOS menu, go to the chipset and search for dedicated GPU configuration.
- Here, set this option as Enabled.
Now save your changes in the boot menu and turn on your computer. If the dedicated GPU issue still exists, try the next solution.
If none of the solutions mentioned above worked for you, as a final resort, you should consider updating your BIOS to the latest version. Laptop manufacturers do have the BIOS updates pushed out to the official website so that users can download and install them according to their liking.
If you can’t find the BIOS update file on your laptop manufacturer’s website, you can also navigate to your motherboard manufacturer’s website. There you will indeed find the latest BIOS version file.
However, installing a BIOS update is not as simple as a Windows update. So, create a proper backup of your files and do a good search on how you can do it on an Asus Zephyrus laptop.
Once the BIOS update is done, you should be fine with the dedicated GPU.
So these are the solutions you can try to fix the Asus Zephyrus Not Using GPU issue. If you have any questions or queries about this article, comment below, and we will get back to you. Also, check out our other articles on iPhone tips and tricks, Android tips and tricks, PC tips and tricks, and much more for more helpful information.