Atomic Heart was released on February 21, 2023. Mundfish developed the game, generating buzz for its stunning visuals and unique setting. Set in an alternate universe Soviet Union, Atomic Heart is a role-playing action game. However, some players cannot play the game like they should because of a crash error. In this guide, we will take you through the possible solutions to fix Atomic Heart Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) Crash Error.
In the game, players take on the role of a KGB agent sent to investigate a secret research facility where something has gone terribly wrong. To uncover the truth behind the disaster, players must fight their way through hordes of robotic enemies, mutated creatures, and other horrors. The gameplay includes shooting, melee combat, and RPG-style character progression. If you are experiencing Atomic Heart crashes, check out our guide to fix Atomic Heart Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) Crash Error.
- Atomic Heart Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) Crash Error Fix
- Reboot the Game and PC
- Check System Requirements
- End Tasks from the Background
- Run the Game Application As An Administrator
- Keep Your Atomic Heart Game Up-to-date
- Repair Game Files
- Update Windows
- Update Graphics Card Driver
- Change Power Options
- Disable Overlay Applications
- Whitelist Atomic Heart in Windows Firewall
- Add Exception for Atomic Heart in your Antivirus
- Allow Atomic Heart app Controlled folder access
- Disable Fullscreen Optimizations
- Switch DirectX
- Revert GPU Overclock
- Limit Max FPS
- Issues with Flawless Widescreen
Atomic Heart Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) Crash Error Fix
It can be extremely frustrating when a game does not launch during startup or crashes or while playing. This issue can cause a lot of annoyance and inconvenience for gamers. Fortunately, there are several potential reasons for these issues, which can be addressed with some simple solutions which we will take you through.
To fix the bug, it might be a good idea to figure out why it is happening. A common cause of crashes is incompatible PC configuration or outdated system software. If the hardware or software of your PC is not compatible with the game you are trying to launch, it may crash or fail to launch altogether. An older version of the game can also cause issues, particularly if you have not updated the game in some time. Therefore, it is essential to ensure that your PC meets the requirements of the game you want to launch, and that you have installed the latest updates.
Crashes can be caused by conflicts with installed software or applications. This includes outdated graphics drivers that may need to be updated to ensure compatibility with the game you are trying to launch. Antivirus software can cause issues if it is blocking the game from launching or running. This can occur if the antivirus software identifies the game as a potential threat and blocks it from running.
It is worth noting that crashes are a common problem among PC gamers, regardless of their configuration or the game they are playing. Most of the time, these issues can be resolved with simple adjustments or updates to your system or software. So, let’s check out the solutions below.
Reboot the Game and PC
If you are experiencing Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error while playing Atomic Heart, one of the first things you can try is rebooting your PC and restarting the game. This is a quick and easy solution that can often fix common problems. By restarting your PC, you can refresh the system and game cache data, which may have become corrupted or outdated. To do this, simply close the game, shut down your computer, wait a few moments, and then turn it back on. Once your PC has restarted, launch the game again and see if the issue has been resolved. Hopefully, this simple fix will get you back to playing Atomic Heart without any further issues.
Check System Requirements
Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements needed to run Atomic Heart. Here are the minimum requirements as well as the recommended requirements so that you can cross-check them:
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 10 (20H1 version or newer, 64-bit versions)
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 or Intel Core i5-2500
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: 4 GB VRAM, AMD Radeon R9 380 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 DirectX: Version 12
- DirectX: Version 12
- Storage: 90 GB available space
- Additional Notes: 30 FPS, 1920×1080 in low
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 10 (20H1 version or newer, 64-bit versions)
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X or Intel Core i7-7700K
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: 8 GB VRAM, AMD RX 6700 XT or NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
- DirectX: Version 12
- Storage: 90 GB available space
- Additional Notes: SSD recommended, 60 FPS, 1920×1080 in ultra
End Tasks from the Background
Sometimes, background tasks might be causing an error for Unreal Engine 4. When experiencing slow performance or other issues with your computer, it can be helpful to check which tasks are consuming a higher amount of resources such as CPU or Memory. To do this, you can open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
Once the Task Manager is open, you can review the list of tasks and processes currently running on your computer. This will show you which programs are using the most resources, and allow you to identify any that may be causing issues.
If you find a specific task that you do not need or that is causing problems, you can select it and click “End Task” to close it forcefully. This will free up resources on your computer and help improve performance.
Run the Game Application As An Administrator
To open the installed directory of Atomic Heart, right-click on the game application and select “Open file location” from the context menu. This should take you to the directory where the game is installed. Once you have located the game application, right-click on it again and select “Properties” from the context menu. In the Properties window, navigate to the Compatibility tab.
Under the Compatibility tab, you will see a section titled “Compatibility mode”. Here, you can select an older version of Windows that the game was designed to run on. If you are experiencing issues with the game, try selecting an older version of Windows. Check the box “Run this program as an administrator”. By doing so, you will be granting the game elevated privileges, which can help it run more smoothly. Now, click on “Apply” and then “OK” in order to save your changes. Finally, run the game to check if the Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error has been resolved.
Keep Your Atomic Heart Game Up-to-date
To update Atomic Heart on Steam and ensure you’re running the latest version of the game, follow the steps below:
1. Open Steam and go to your Library. This is where all your installed games are listed.
2. Look for Atomic Heart from the list of installed games.
3. If there’s an update available, you’ll see an “Update” button. Click on it to begin the update process. If there’s no update available, the button will be grayed out.
4. The update process may take a while, depending on the size of the update and your internet speed. Wait for it to complete before doing anything else. You can monitor the progress in the Steam downloads section.
5. Once the update is done, it’s recommended that you reboot your PC to apply the changes. This will ensure that any new files or settings associated with the update are properly installed and activated.
Keeping your game up-to-date is important not only for getting the latest features, bug fixes, and improvements, but also for ensuring compatibility with other players in multiplayer mode. By following these steps, you can easily update Atomic Heart on Steam and check to see if the Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error is solved.
Repair Game Files
If you’re experiencing Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error with Atomic Heart, it’s possible that some of the game files have become corrupted or damaged. In order to fix this problem, you can try to repair the game files. Here’s how:
1. Open the Steam client and click on Library. This is where you can access all of your installed games.
2. Locate Atomic Heart from the list of installed games. You can use the search bar if you have a lot of games installed.
3. Right-click on Atomic Heart and select Properties. This will open a new window with several tabs.
4. Click on the Local Files tab. Here, you’ll see several options related to the game’s files.
5. Click on “Verify Integrity of Game Files”. This will scan the game’s files and check for any errors or corruption.
6. Wait for the repair process to complete. This may take some time depending on the size of the game’s files and the speed of your computer.
7. Once the repair process is complete, you can reboot your PC to apply the changes. This will ensure that any changes made during the repair process are fully applied and that the game is running smoothly.
By following these steps, you should be able to repair any issues with Atomic Heart and get back to playing the game.
Keeping your operating system up-to-date is essential to ensure that your computer and its applications run smoothly and securely. To check for and install Windows updates, follow these simple steps:
1. Begin by pressing the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings. This shortcut will open the Settings app on your computer, which is where you’ll find all the different settings for your Windows operating system.
2. Once you’re in the Settings app, click on “Windows Update.” This will take you to the Windows Update section, where you’ll be able to view information about your current update status.
3. Next, click on “Check for updates.” This will prompt Windows to search for any available updates for your computer.
4. If an update is available, click on “Download and Install.” This will begin the process of downloading and installing the update onto your computer.
5. Wait for the update process to complete. Depending on the size of the update and the speed of your internet connection, this may take some time.
6. Once the update process is complete, reboot your PC to apply changes. Restarting your computer will ensure that the updates are fully installed and that your computer is running on the latest version of Windows.
By following these steps, you can make sure that your computer is always up-to-date and running smoothly. Now, you can check whether the Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error has been fixed.
Update Graphics Card Driver
The problem might lie with your graphics card, so updating the driver is often a good first step to take. Here’s how you can update your GPU driver on Windows:
1. Open the Quick Link Menu by pressing the Win+X keys. This will bring up a list of options that you can use to quickly access different settings on your computer.
2. From the Quick Link Menu, select “Device Manager.” This will open a window that displays a list of all the hardware components installed on your computer.
3. Expand the “Display adapters” option by clicking on the arrow next to it.
4. Right-click on the particular GPU card that you want to update and select “Update driver.” This will open a window with two options: “Search automatically for updated driver software” and “Browse my computer for driver software.”
5. Select “Search automatically for updated driver software.” Windows will then search for the latest driver software for your graphics card.
6. If an update is available, Windows will automatically download and install it.
7. Once the update is installed, you will be prompted to restart your computer to apply the changes. Click “Restart now” to restart your computer.
After your computer restarts, your graphics card driver will be up-to-date. Check if the Atomic Heart Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error is fixed now.
Change Power Options
To optimize your computer’s performance, you can try changing your power settings. Follow these steps:
1. Open the Start Menu by clicking the Windows logo on the bottom left corner of your screen.
2. In the search bar, type “Control Panel” and select it from the search results.
3. In the Control Panel, select “Hardware and Sound.”
4. Choose “Power Options” and select “High Performance.”
5. Finally, reboot your PC to apply the changes.
By selecting “High Performance,” your computer will prioritize performance over energy efficiency, meaning it will consume more power but run faster. This is especially useful when running demanding applications or playing games. Hopefully, you should now be able to play the game smoothly.
Disable Overlay Applications
If you’re experiencing issues with the in-game overlay feature of Discord while playing Atomic Heart, you can disable it by following these steps:
1. Open the Discord app on your computer and navigate to the Settings menu, which is represented by a gear icon located at the bottom of the screen.
2. Once you are in the Settings menu, click on the “App Settings” option.
3. From the App Settings menu, select the “Overlay” tab.
4. Change the “Enable in-game overlay” option to the “on” position.
5. Click on the “Games” tab and select “Atomic Heart” from the list of games.
6. Finally, toggle the “Enable in-game overlay” option to the “off” position.
By completing these steps, you should be able to disable the in-game overlay feature for Atomic Heart in Discord. This can help to resolve issues such as crashes, freezes, or other performance problems that may be related to the overlay feature including Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error.
Whitelist Atomic Heart in Windows Firewall
To whitelist Atomic Heart in the Windows Firewall, you can follow these simple steps:
1. First, open the Start menu and search for Control Panel. You can do this by clicking on the Windows icon on the bottom left-hand corner of your screen.
2. Once you have located the Control Panel, go to “System and Security” and open the Windows Firewall settings.
3. In the Firewall settings, you will see an option to “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.” Select this option.
4. Click on “Change settings” and then select “Allow another app”.
5. You will now be prompted to select which app you would like to allow through the firewall. Click on the “Browse” button and locate the Atomic Heart application.
6. Once you have selected the Atomic Heart application, click on the “Add” button to add it to the list of allowed apps.
7. Finally, make sure to save your changes by clicking on the “OK” button.
By following these steps, you will have successfully whitelisted Atomic Heart in the Windows Firewall, allowing the application to function properly without any restrictions from the firewall. Now, you can check if you have fixed the Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error.
Add Exception for Atomic Heart in your Antivirus
The Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error in Atomic Heart might be due to your Antivirus. Here are the steps to add an exception for Atomic Heart in Windows Antivirus:
1. Press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings. This keyboard shortcut will open the Windows Settings application, which allows you to configure various settings related to your operating system.
2. Once the Windows Settings application is open, go to the “Privacy and Security” section. This section contains various options related to your system’s security and privacy settings.
3. After that, click on “Windows Security” in the “Privacy and Security” section. This will open the Windows Security application.
4. In the Windows Security application, click on “Virus and threat protection.” This option is located in the “Protection areas” section of the application. This will open the Virus and threat protection settings page.
5. On the Virus and threat protection settings page, select “Manage ransomware protection.” This option is located under the “Ransomware protection” section of the page.
6. Next, choose “Allow an app through Controlled folder access.”
7. Click on “Add an allowed app.” This button will open a window that allows you to add an application to the list of allowed applications.
8. From there, click on “Browse all apps” and select Atomic Heart. This will allow you to browse all installed applications on your system and select Atomic Heart.
9. Finally, click on “Open” and make sure to save changes. This step will add Atomic Heart to the list of allowed applications, which means it will be able to access controlled folders without triggering antivirus warnings.
By following these steps, you can ensure that Atomic Heart is exempted from Windows antivirus and can run without any interruptions.
Allow Atomic Heart app Controlled folder access
If nothing else seems to work, try this to fix the Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error. Here are the instructions to allow Atomic Heart app through Controlled folder access on Windows:
1. First, press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings.
2. In the Windows Settings menu, navigate to Privacy and Security and click on it.
3. From there, click on Windows Security to access the virus and threat protection settings.
4. Under Virus and threat protection, select Manage ransomware protection.
5. Next, choose to allow an app through Controlled folder access by clicking on “Add an allowed app”.
6. After that, you will be prompted to click on “Browse all apps”. Click on it to search for the Atomic Heart app.
7. Once you have found the Atomic Heart app, click on “Open” to allow it through Controlled folder access.
8. Finally, be sure to save changes before exiting.
By following these steps, you can ensure that the Atomic Heart app is allowed through Controlled folder access on Windows.
Disable Fullscreen Optimizations
When Fullscreen optimizations are enabled, it can cause a game to crash. This is because Fullscreen optimizations are designed to improve the performance of your games, but they can sometimes have the opposite effect. This might be why Atomic Heart is crashing on your system. Luckily, there is a way to fix this issue. You can follow the steps below to disable Fullscreen optimizations:
1. First, open your Steam library and right-click on Atomic Heart.
2. Click on “Manage” and then choose “Browse local files”. This will open a new Explorer window with the game files.
3. Find the executable file for the game and right-click on it.
4. Choose “Properties” and then click on the “Compatibility” tab.
5. Find the option that says “Disable fullscreen optimizations” and check the box next to it.
6. Click on “Apply” to save your changes and then launch the game.
By disabling Fullscreen optimizations, you should be able to prevent Atomic Heart from encountering Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error.
If you’re experiencing the Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error while playing Atomic Heart, there is a workaround that might help you fix the problem. The game requires DX12 to run, but you might be able to force the game to use DirectX 11 instead and avoid crashes. Please note that this fix won’t work for the Gamepass version of the game.
To apply the fix, follow these steps:
1. Right-click on Atomic Heart in your Steam library.
2. Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
3. Click on the “General” tab.
4. In the “Launch Options” field, type “-dx11” (without quotes).
5. Click “OK” to close the window.
After applying this fix, you should be able to play Atomic Heart without experiencing crashes. It’s important to note that this workaround is not guaranteed to work for everyone. While it has helped some players fix their issues with crashes, there is no guarantee that it will work for you. However, it’s worth trying out if you’re experiencing issues with the game.
Revert GPU Overclock
To revert the GPU to its default clocks and fix the Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error issue in Atomic Heart, you can follow these steps:
1. Open the Nvidia Control Panel. This can be done by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting “Nvidia Control Panel” from the context menu.
2. Once the Nvidia Control Panel is open, click on the “Help” menu located at the top of the window.
3. From the drop-down menu, select “Debug Mode”. This option will change the GPU clocks back to their reference clocks.
4. By selecting this option, the factory overclock on your GPU will be disabled, and the GPU will revert to its default clock speed. This should fix the Unreal Engine and DXGI ERROR DEVICE REMOVED crashes that you have been experiencing while playing Atomic Heart.
It is important to note that some GPUs come factory overclocked, and this can be a problem in some games and cause crashes. Therefore, disabling the overclocking feature through Debug Mode can be a useful solution.
Limit Max FPS
For Atomic Heart Unreal Engine crash error, try out this fix. This issue can be caused by playing the game at an unlocked or high FPS, resulting in a lot of load on the GPU and CPU. To address this issue, it is recommended to limit the maximum FPS for the game, which can reduce CPU and GPU load and fix the Unreal Engine 4 crash. This can be done through Nvidia Control Panel since in-game FPS locks are often imperfect. By limiting the FPS, you can ensure that Atomic Heart runs smoothly and doesn’t crash, allowing you to enjoy the game without any interruptions.
To limit the FPS for Atomic Heart, follow these simple steps:
1. Open Nvidia Control Panel.
2. Navigate to Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings.
3. Select Atomic Heart.
4. Enable Max Frame Rate and set a value.
5. Ensure the value is 1/2, 1/3rd, or 1/4th of your monitor’s refresh rate.
6. Apply the changes.
By following these steps, you can ensure that Atomic Heart runs smoothly without crashing.
Issues with Flawless Widescreen
If you’re a PC gamer with an ultrawide monitor, you may have noticed that Atomic Heart does not allow you to adjust the FOV. This can be quite frustrating, as the default FOV may not be ideal for your setup. However, you can use Flawless Widescreen applications to fix this issue.
That being said, some players have reported that using Flawless Widescreen to adjust the FOV can cause Unreal Engine 4 and LowLevelFatalError crashes. This can be a major problem, and can really put a damper on your gaming experience.
Fortunately, other players have reported that unchecking the ‘scanning fix’ option in Flawless Widescreen settings can resolve the Atomic Heart crash. This is a simple solution that you can try if you’re experiencing issues with Flawless Widescreen.
If this still doesn’t work, the best course of action may be to stop using Flawless Widescreen altogether. While it’s nice to have the ability to adjust the FOV, it’s not worth risking a game crash. By stopping the use of Flawless Widescreen, you should be able to play Atomic Heart without any further issues.
Overall, while it’s unfortunate that Atomic Heart doesn’t allow players to adjust the FOV, there are solutions available. Just be sure to take caution when using third-party applications, and always be on the lookout for potential issues.
That is all for our fixes for the Atomic Heart Unreal Engine 4 Crash Error. We hope that this guide helped you fix your issues with the game for a wholesome gameplay experience.