Enshrouded is a third-person survival crafting game that’s set in a massive fantasy open-world scenario for those players who love to get into the survival base-building gameplay. Mostly, Enshrouded players like the Shroud part, a magical fog in this title that covers a huge area in the map across rivers and lakes. Though this game has received very positive reviews on all available platforms, there are some issues still present. Meanwhile, several players experiencing the Enshrouded Save Data Bug or Data Could Not Be Read Error.
To be precise, this specific bug is causing the loss of progress in the game unexpectedly. Well, the save data couldn’t be read error might appear due to the missing saved game data, corrupted game files, or even an outdated game patch version. Sometimes low storage space or not enough system resources can also be another possible reason behind such an error. It eventually indicates that all of your hard work and time spent in the gameplay goes in vain because there is no game save data.
- Fix Enshrouded Save Data Bug / Data Could Not Be Read Error
- 1. Relaunch the Game
- 2. Reboot the Gaming Device
- 3. Run Enshrouded as an Administrator
- 4. Check for Enshrouded Updates
- 5. Repair the Game Files
- 6. Check for the Storage Space
- 7. Roll Back to the Backup
- 8. Check for System Resources
- 9. Turn Off Steam Cloud Save
- 10. Change the Game Save Location
- 11. Run the System File Checker
- 12. Reinstall Enshrouded
- 13. Contact Support
Fix Enshrouded Save Data Bug / Data Could Not Be Read Error
Now, if you’re also one of the victims to encounter this error then make sure to follow this troubleshooting guide so that you won’t gonna lose the game progress. Luckily, we’ve shared with you some workarounds that should come in handy. So, without further ado, let’s jump into it.
1. Relaunch the Game
Before performing any other workaround, it’s recommended to close and relaunch the game to ensure there is no temporary glitch or cache data issue at your end. Just exit the game and run it again to check for the save data bug.
2. Reboot the Gaming Device
The second thing you’ll need to do is reboot the gaming device like PC or Console to check if the save data issue persists or not. The chances are high that a system restart can fix multiple issues with the system glitches. Try to shut down the gaming device using the Power button and turn on the device again. It’s also suggested to perform a power cycle method on your gaming device.
3. Run Enshrouded as an Administrator
You’ll need to manually run the Enshrouded game on your Windows PC by following the steps below to allow the system admin permission. Without having the user account control access, most PC games might not run properly or even fail to save the game progress data.
- Open the installed game directory on the PC.
- Right-click on the Enshrouded.exe application.
- Click on Properties > Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Turn On the Run this program as an administrator box.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
4. Check for Enshrouded Updates
In some cases, an outdated game patch version can also trigger multiple conflicts with the game startup or even save data. You’ll need to check for the available game updates at your end to ensure there is no issue with the game save data couldn’t be read error. To do so, check for the steps below.
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Right-click on the Enshrouded game.
- Click on Properties > Click on Updates.
- Now, go to Automatic Updates.
- Choose Only update this game when I launch it.
- Once done, reboot the system to apply changes.
- Whenever available, the game update will be installed.
For Xbox Console:
- Navigate to the Xbox Dashboard menu.
- Go to the My Games and Apps section.
- Select Manage > Go to Updates.
- If the Enshrouded game update is available.
- Press the A button on the controller to proceed.
- Go to the Home screen.
- Navigate to Games > Select Enshrouded.
- Press the Options button on your controller.
- Choose Check for Update from the drop-down menu.
5. Repair the Game Files
The chances are high that somehow the missing or corrupted game files installed on the PC can trouble you a lot. This specific method will help in scanning and repairing the installed game files to fix multiple conflicts. You can follow the steps below to do so:
- Open the Steam client.
- Go to the Library.
- Right-click on the Enshrouded game.
- Go to Properties.
- Now, click on Installed Files.
- Click on Verify integrity of game files.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Once done, restart the computer.
6. Check for the Storage Space
In case, your specific PC or Console have some low storage space issues then make sure to check for the same. A low storage space can also cause multiple issues with the saved game data quite often. If there is low space, try increasing the storage space properly.
7. Roll Back to the Backup
Some Enshrouded players have suggested on Reddit that rolling back to the backup save did work for them. You might also restore the server to a stable state and offer a reliable gaming experience.
8. Check for System Resources
You should also check for the system resources on your gaming device like CPU and RAM status. If the system resources are low or using too much in the background, make sure to close startup programs and other running tasks.
9. Turn Off Steam Cloud Save
Another thing you can do is to disable the Steam Cloud Save option on the Steam launcher to ensure there is no issue with the online cloud saving. It looks like the Steam cloud saving feature causes multiple conflicts with the local game progress save data.
- Launch the Steam client > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Enshrouded.
- Go to Properties > Click on General.
- Now, navigate to Steam Cloud.
- Turn Off – Keep game saves in the Steam Cloud for Enshrouded.
10. Change the Game Save Location
You can also try changing the game progress save location on a different drive or folder to cross-check if the problem persists. Several players have found this trick helpful to easily change the game save path from the existing one.
11. Run the System File Checker
You should manually run the SFC scan on your PC to fix multiple issues or find bad sectors on the disk drives. SFC (System File Checker) tool is useful to check whether any program file or a disk drive has some issues not on a Windows system.
- Open the Start menu > Search for cmd.
- Right-click on Command Prompt from the search result.
- Now, click on Run as administrator.
- If prompted, click on Yes to give admin permissions.
- Type the following command in the cmd window and hit Enter to execute it:
- Now, wait for the process to complete it.
- Once done, reboot the PC to apply changes.
12. Reinstall Enshrouded
If none of the workarounds come in handy then ensure to uninstall and reinstall the Enshrouded game on your gaming device by following the steps below. Any kind of game installation issues or conflicts might trouble the game startup.
- Open the Steam client on your PC.
- Go to Library > Right-click on Enshrouded.
- Go to Manage.
- Click on Uninstall > If prompted, click on Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it.
- Once done, restart the PC to apply changes.
- Launch Steam, and reinstall the Enshrouded game. (install on another drive)
- Wait for it to complete and run the game.
For Xbox Consoles:
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select My Games & Apps > Hit See All.
- Choose Games > Select Enshrouded to highlight.
- Press the Menu button > Select Uninstall.
- Now, follow the instructions to delete it.
- Once done, restart the console.
- Go to My Games & Apps > Hit See All.
- Navigate to Full Library and Reinstall Enshrouded.
- Wait for it to complete and enjoy the game.
- Go to the Games Menu > Select Enshrouded to highlight it.
- Press the Options button on your controller.
- Select Delete from the menu.
- Confirm it and the game will be uninstalled.
- Once done, reboot the console.
- Head over to the PlayStation Store.
- Finally, Reinstall the Enshrouded game.
13. Contact Support
As a final resort, you’ll need to contact Steam Support and submit a support ticket for the same issue. This will allow the game developers to provide dedicated assistance on it.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For additional queries, you can comment below.