Undead Labs has developed the State of Decay 2 which is an open-world zombie survival game published by Microsoft Studios. It’s a sequel to the 2013’s State of Decay game and released on May 22, 2018. The game is available for Windows and Xbox One platforms. Now, talking about the game experience, there are some of the players reporting to the Undead Labs support team that the game is literally crashing when launching it. So, if you’re also facing the same issue, then check how to fix the State of Decay 2 game Crashes.
Recently, the developers have also released a new update called Juggernaut Edition with a couple of improvements and additional features. In terms of the game crashing while launching or the game loading stuck after launching issues mostly appear on Windows PC and Xbox console. Keep in mind that if in case, you’ve recently updated your Windows 10 version or installed any cumulative update, then that particular update may cause game launching or loading-related issues.
Fix State of Decay 2 Game Crashes When Launching it [Solve PC and XBOX]
Here we’ve shared some of the possible workarounds that can fix the game crashing issue in most cases. We will provide the steps for both the Windows PC and Xbox console so that all the affected users can solve the problem.
For Windows PC:
In order to find out the possible reason of game crashing, we will recommend you to check your Windows Event Viewer logs before heading over any conclusion.
- Press the Windows key and type Event Viewer then hit enter.
- Click on Windows Logs in the left pane > Select System or Application.
- Check for any errors related to Stateofdecay2.exe or Microsoft.Dayton.
If you find any errors related to a DCOM Server Error, then you should run the Windows Update Troubleshooter mode from here. If this method doesn’t help you to fix the issue, then please directly contact Microsoft Support. However, we’ve provided some of the possible solutions that can most probably fix the issue.
1. Exclude State of Decay 2 in Antivirus
Make sure to check the Antivirus program on your PC that whether the State of Decay 2 game is added in the exception/exclusion list or not. If not, then do this first to allow the game to launch and gameplay properly. Even if you use Windows Defender then you will need to add an exception for the game.
2. Update Graphics Drivers
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Start menu.
- Type Device Manager in the search bar and click on it once the Device Manager appears on the search result.
- Head over to the Display Adapters > Click to expand the drop-down list.
- Right-click on your dedicated graphics card name > Click on Update Driver.
- You will need to select the option like the search for drivers automatically.
- If there is a new driver update available, the system will automatically install it.
- Simply restart your Windows PC and try to launch the State of Decay 2 game again.
If in case, the graphics driver is not updated, you should visit the respective graphics card’s official website and check for the latest update.
3. Check for Duplicate Instances
Make sure that only one instance of State of Decay 2 game is installed on the computer.
- Press the Windows Key and type PowerShell
- Right-click on the search result and select Run as administrator
- Type the following command and hit enter
get-appxpackage *Dayton* -allusers
- If there is any duplicate instance available, delete the duplicate one and reinstall the game properly.
4. Reset State of Decay 2
- Press the Windows Key on your PC > Type Settings and press enter
- Select Apps > Select Apps and features
- Next, click on State of Decay 2 > Select Reset
- Once done, reboot your computer and try to launch the game
5. Install the Game to a Different Drive
If you can, try to uninstall the game at first and then fully reinstall it on another drive. Some times this trick can also fix most of the game crashing or launch crashing. In this method, you will perform two possible solutions at the same. Because deleting the game and reinstalling it can also fix the crashing issue.
For Xbox One:
All the affected Xbox One users can follow the below steps.
- First, press the Xbox button on your console to open the guide.
- Select My games & apps > Highlight the State of Decay 2 game.
- Next, press the Menu button > Select Manage game & add-ons.
- Choose Installed > Select Uninstall all.
- Then choose to Uninstall all again to confirm the task.
- Once uninstalled, just go to My games & apps.
- Finally, choose Ready to install option > Select the State of Decay 2.
- Once installed launch and check the State of Decay 2 Crashes.
For Xbox One Disc Users:
- First of all, you will need to Uninstall the State of Decay 2 game.
- Delete any add-ons related to State of Decay 2 as well.
- Next, disconnect the Xbox One console from the internet.
- You will have to reinstall the State of Decay 2 completely from the disc.
- Then reconnect to the internet and update the game (if any).
- Finally, launch the game and check for the issue whether it’s fixed or not.
That’s it, guys. We assume that this troubleshooting guide was helpful to you and you’ve already fixed the game launching issue. If you’ve any queries, comment below.