2020’s Genshin Impact is an open-world action-adventure fantasy role-playing game that has been received in an overwhelmingly positive way by players across the globe. miHoYo has done a tremendous job by developing and releasing this title which is still doing well in the market. The Genshin Impact stuttering, lags, or freezing issue with the gameplay and game launching on the PC has become quite common. So, nothing to worry about it.
It’s also worth mentioning that not only the game startup but also connecting to the game servers and its lags might affect the gameplay experience greatly. Such issues might trouble you often during the server connectivity online or amid gameplay sessions. As the game has become popular since its release, more and more active players are getting into it, which can be another reason behind the lags or stutters with the game on the computer.
- Fix: Genshin Impact Stuttering, Lags, or Freezing constantly
- 1. Run the Game as an administrator
- 2. Update Graphics Drivers
- 3. Update Genshin Impact
- 4. Verify and Repair Game Files
- 5. Set High Priority in Task Manager
- 6. Try Lowering In-Game Graphics Settings
- 7. Disable Fullscreen Optimizations
- 8. Close Third-Party Background Processes
- 9. Disable Overlay Applications
- 10. Increase Virtual Memory
Fix: Genshin Impact Stuttering, Lags, or Freezing constantly
Although online multiplayer games have multiple issues or bugs that we can’t deny, but talking about the lags, stutters, framerate drops, and more issues, there are a couple of potential reasons you should cross-check completely. Such as conflicts with the fullscreen optimizations, issues with the installed game files, an outdated or missing graphics driver, background running processes, conflicts with overlay apps, lower memory, and more.
Luckily, here we’ve shared a couple of possible workarounds for you that should help a lot. Make sure to follow all the methods until the problem gets fixed. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump into it.
1. Run the Game as an administrator
First, check whether your game application file runs as an administrator. Make sure to run the game exe file as an administrator to give proper access to the system. To do this:
- Right-click on the Genshin Impact application file on your PC.
- Now, select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to click on the Run this program as an administrator checkbox to checkmark it.
- Click on Apply and select OK to save changes.
Once done, do the same steps for your Epic Games Launcher too.
2. Update Graphics Drivers
Check for the graphics driver update and ensure you’re running on the latest version. If you’re not sure then follow the steps below to check for it. To do that:
- Right-click on the Start Menu to open up the Quick Access Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the list.
- Now, double-click on the Display Adapters category to expand the list.
- Then right-click on the dedicated graphics card name.
- Select Update driver > Choose Search automatically for drivers.
- An update will automatically download and install the latest version if available.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your computer to change the effects.
3. Update Genshin Impact
It’s highly recommended to check for the game update and install the latest version whatsoever. If you haven’t updated your game version for a while, you should follow the steps below.
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Head over to Library.
- Now, click on the three dots icon next to Genshin Impact.
- Turn On the Auto Update option.
4. Verify and Repair Game Files
We should recommend you verify and repair game files on the PC via your Steam launcher by following the steps below. The chances are high that installed game files become corrupted or missing due to some unexpected reasons. If that’s happening to you, check the steps below.
- Open the Epic Games Launcher > Click on Library.
- Now, click on the three-dots icon next to Genshin Impact.
- Click on Verify > Wait for it to complete.
- Finally, restart the system, and check for the issue.
5. Set High Priority in Task Manager
Sometimes your system may not detect the game processes to allocate enough resources to run properly. As your game requires higher resources like CPU and Memory, the game starts lagging or crashing. You should also manually set the game process to higher priority from Task Manager by following the steps below. After doing so, your game files may run smoothly as the system will allocate higher resources specific to the game whenever it opens.
- Right-click on the Start Menu > Select Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Right-click on the Genshin Impact game task.
- Select Set Priority to High.
- Close Task Manager > Finally, check for the Genshin Impact Stuttering, Lags, or Freezing issue.
6. Try Lowering In-Game Graphics Settings
In most scenarios, the chances are high that your in-game graphics settings are causing such an issue. Depending on your PC configuration and display device, it’s suggested to set up valid graphics settings so that the game can run smoothly. If your PC isn’t powerful and you’ve set graphics settings higher, you may encounter lags or stutters. To do so:
- Open the Genshin Impact game via Epic Games Launcher.
- Go to the Settings menu > Go to Graphics.
- Next, lower the FPS level and other graphical options to medium or low.
7. Disable Fullscreen Optimizations
The Full-screen optimization and DPI settings can be found on Windows programs by default. Sometimes these options may trigger issues with the game performance. You should manually try disabling the fullscreen optimizations by following the steps below.
- Go to the Genshin Impact game directory where it’s installed.
- Now, locate and right-click the GenshinImpact.exe application file.
- Select Properties > Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Click on the Disable Full-Screen Optimizations checkbox to enable it.
- Next, click on the Change high DPI settings button > Select the Override high DPI scaling behavior checkbox.
- Select Application from the drop-down menu > Click on Apply and then OK to save changes.
- Once it’s done, you can check the Genshin Impact stuttering, lags, or freezing issue.
8. Close Third-Party Background Processes
Sometimes a lot of background tasks run on the system which may eventually consume a huge amount of resources like CPU and RAM. In that case, heavy applications like games might encounter performance-related issues. It’s recommended to close third-party background tasks one by one which isn’t necessary.
- Press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc shortcut keys to open Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab > Make sure to select the task individually that you want to close.
- Then click on End Task to close it.
- As mentioned, do the same steps for each task that you want to close. [Don’t close any Windows or Microsoft task without knowledge]
- Once done, close the Task Manager window, and restart your PC to apply changes.
9. Disable Overlay Applications
Sometimes third-party overlay applications might also trouble in system performance which can affect the game launching issue. Overlay apps can help users in multiple ways but they can always run in the background even though you’re not using them. That’s why disabling overlay apps will be necessary.
Disable Discord Overlay:
- Open the Discord app > Go to Settings (gear icon) at the bottom.
- Go to App Settings and click on Overlay.
- Now, turn on the Enable in-game overlay.
- Click on Games > Select Genshin Impact.
- Turn Off the Enable in-game overlay toggle.
Disable Xbox Game Bar:
- Press the Win+I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Gaming > Select Game Bar.
- Turn Off the Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using the Game bar option.
Disable Nvidia GeForce Experience Overlay:
- Open the Nvidia GeForce Experience app > Go to Settings.
- Select General > Disable the In-Game Overlay option.
Disable Steam Overlay:
- Open Steam > Click on Library.
- Right-click on Genshin Impact.
- Click on Properties > Select General.
- Turn OFF the Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game option.
Please Note: The chances are high that you’re using some other third-party overlay apps like MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner, RGB lighting software, etc. If so, you should turn them off too, and then check for the Genshin Impact Stuttering, Lags, or Freezing issue.
10. Increase Virtual Memory
Make sure to manually increase the virtual memory on the PC by following the steps below to confirm whether the virtual RAM works well with the game.
- Open Control Panel from the Windows Start menu > Go to System.
- Click on Advanced system settings > Go to the Advanced tab.
- Open Settings under Performance > Click on the Advanced tab.
- Click on Change under Virtual memory.
- Now, click on Disable next to the Automatically manage paging file size for all drivers option.
- Then you’ll need to select a Custom size > Type in a higher value of your actual RAM size in both initial and maximum sizes. [For example, if you’ve 8GB RAM then input 12000 MB]
Note: Kindly enter the RAM value in MB size. 1GB means 1024MB in storage. So, do accordingly, and use C: drive where Windows is installed.
- Click on Ok and restart your computer > Once done, reboot the PC to apply changes.
That’s it, guys. We assume this guide was helpful to you. For further queries, you can comment below.